PDA

View Full Version : Fixing car side mirrors?

rhancock
1st May 2007, 01:27 PM
Bashed my side mirror on the wheelie bin this morning....:(

Anyone know anything about replacing them? Its a 12month old Ford Territory, but I don't want to pay Ford places for a replacement.

I haven't looked in the wreckers yards yet, but I was wondering whether Super crap auto or similar sell replacement glass and whether its any good. Is there anything special about manufacturers glass?

Also, are there any forums like this one about car maintenance?

Cheers, Richard

DJ’s Timber
1st May 2007, 01:33 PM
Ooh, very expensive. Would start looking around the wreckers otherwise your up for a new one from Ford.

joe greiner
1st May 2007, 01:54 PM
Just the glass, or the whole mirror? If just the glass, auto glass shops (windshields, etc.) can replace with conforming material. If the whole mirror, best visit the wreckers yards.

Joe

rhancock
1st May 2007, 02:06 PM
Just the glass fortunately. I'll try the auto glass places this afternoon.

Chesand
1st May 2007, 02:37 PM
Decent glass merchant should be able to help you.

RETIRED
1st May 2007, 02:56 PM
o o o o o o o o o o o o o O'briens.:)

dazzler
1st May 2007, 03:05 PM
Didnt it just "fall off" as you drove down the road:wink:

rhancock
1st May 2007, 03:53 PM
Didnt it just "fall off" as you drove down the road:wink:

Hmmm... Its still under warranty too....

dazzler
1st May 2007, 05:36 PM
Hmmm... Its still under warranty too....

And damn dangerous too. Mirrors fallen off for no reason. Bloke should make a complaint:p

la Huerta
1st May 2007, 08:43 PM
there is a ford forum..it's called ford forum (http://www.fordforums.com.au/)

you'll find the answers there, these guys a ford mad, i think they even sleep in there fords..posted a couple of questions there my self in the past and got the answers right away..

sorry woodies , no pun intended...

mixin
1st May 2007, 08:57 PM
You may be surprised just how cheap the glass insert might be from Ford spare parts.

No harm in making a phone call.

If it is the LH one is is a curved glass too.

China
1st May 2007, 09:33 PM
mixin, you obviously don't own a Ford

mixin
1st May 2007, 10:43 PM
No, I'm a Holden man personally, but I have had a number of Ford company vehicles, EL, AU, AU2, BA etc.

Some parts are surprisingly cheap, while others, yes, can be outrageous.

rhancock
1st May 2007, 11:22 PM
It is a LH mirror, yes, but you're right it's got to be worth the call. However, spoke to the guy at the wreckers down the street, and he spoke to his contact who said they haven't started making aftermarket mirrors for 06 territories yet. Not sure that he's the fount of all wisdom though. I'll call the useless B#$$rds I bought it from.

Super Crap Auto told me they sell mirror glass "that you cut to fit yourself and stick in" No idea how good a job I'd make of doing that! O'Briens still looks like best bet.

joe greiner
2nd May 2007, 12:27 AM
DIY probably wouldn't be curved glass. But don't give up just yet. Annual revisions aren't necessarily complete makeovers. Could be prior years would work.

Joe

Harry72
2nd May 2007, 08:40 AM
mixin, you obviously don't own a Ford
I've owned several fords and holden's mazda's, ford has always been the cheapest on parts... even for my imported ford, mazda is the dearest by far!

la Huerta
2nd May 2007, 08:44 AM
check out ebay too, they have heaps of parts on there , especially that sort of thing, if you can't find it on there, ask one of the companies that are already selling parts on ebay, they may get it in for you...

Daddles
2nd May 2007, 10:33 AM
Pulled a similar stunt meself (and no I won't tell you what I hit). I had a windscreen place put in a piece of glass - it was flat, which doesn't give the same field of view as the curved, but at least I now know where the other vehicles are which I didn't with the curved glass. I've used curved mirrors before but could never come to terms with this vehicle (an AUll)

Richard

Iain
2nd May 2007, 09:55 PM
I had a glazier replace an ordinary car mirror for me, cheaper than the original part.

dzcook
3rd May 2007, 04:40 PM
caught the left hand mirror on my au a while back and just poped the glass out didnt break but was unable to replace mirror as the lugs that hold it in place broke and that ment the power mirror no longer worked ie wouldnt move was up for a whole new mirror but luckily got one from a wreckers for $80 and was easy as anything to install dont knoiw how you would go trying to get a new glass cut and to get it back into the frame for the mirror

lotte
28th February 2010, 12:59 PM
I did exactly the same thing to my car side mirror with the wheely bin. I bought the plastic mirror 'kit' from Auto Cheap, but I discovered that if it is not glued in very smoothly then it warps the image terribly and is totally useless.
I went to Toyota and was told that I have to buy the whole mirror fitting costing $270. I'm sure there must be someone out there who would like to start up a business selling replacement car mirrors here in Brisbane, so far haven't found one yet.

munruben
1st March 2010, 10:55 AM
Hi Lotte, this thread is nearly 3 years old. When posting in a thread, it is an idea to check the date of the last post. Welcome to the forum.
Regarding your mishap, I sympathize with you and it is annoying when you have to replace a whole item when you only need part of that item but that seems to be the way of the world today. Nobody repairs anything any more, they just replace the whole thing.