PDA

View Full Version : Ask a stupid question!!!!

Thickasaplank
1st May 2007, 10:41 PM
Soooooo says SWMBO... wouldn't a pool look lovely here? Hmmm, and a deck - maybe from here to - - weeellll there?? Raised, of course. Ohhh the tree will have to go.. :(

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH YADDAH YADDAH YADDAH:doh::doh::o

There we go then, 110 squares of decking, and an above ground pool. Easy eh? I have never laid decking before, but don't reckon on it being too hard.. 4" H4 posts at 2.5 centers...Bung on a few beams - (6X2).. 450 centres for the joists (4X2)..and then a few hundred meters of Batu cheaply acquired from an auction somewhere!! Do I have to screw the decking to the joists, or has anybody ever experimented with glue?? Why can I not use Sikaflex... they build cars with that stuff nowadays, so why not decks...:?

So now I expect everyone to hurl abuse at me for being so stupid and in so doing I will pick up a few pearls of wisdom that I may just have not thought about (HA HA - fat chance - do your best!! or worst )

Is this not a better way to ask a dumb question - or a heap of them??:2tsup:

Cheers m'dears
Thick :wink:

Burnsy
1st May 2007, 11:16 PM
You can not glue decking down, there is no way it will hold. Your easiest bet is to go and buy or rent a quality coil nailer and use 52mm ring shanked nails, preferably stainless if they are around a pool, they are about twice the price of their galvinised equivelent but worth it if you want longevity. If the batu is dry (cheap from auction so maybe) it is likely you will need to predrill and hand nail the ends to stop splitting. Ends that can be accessed after they are nailed are better left over length then cut as one run at the end using a quality blade circular saw.

I have sent you a PM with some other details.

Cheers,
Mike