PDA

View Full Version : Nova Compac chuck

colh
30th July 2003, 12:48 PM
Hi all

I have just noticed an advert for the Nova Compac scroll chuck. I gather it is fairly new. Gary Pye has it for $125. Does anyone have any experience with it. I would be using it on a H&F WL18 (ie chinese generic).

cheers

Colin

Sir Stinkalot
30th July 2003, 01:41 PM
I have not seen the chuck in question but I would assume that it is quite small and designed for use with the smaller lathe made by Teknatool or others. I would think for the extra $30 or so you will be better of with the standard Nova chuck. There are many inserts available to fit the chuck to the lathe so just measure the spindle size and get the appropriate insert. The manual that came with the lathe should also give the spindle size.

Teknatool Compact (http://www.teknatool.com/products/chucks/Compac/compac_chuck.htm)

Teknatool Nova (http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chucks/Nova/chuck.htm)

GPW Nova Price (http://shop.store.yahoo.com/gpwoodturning/novachuck1.html)

colh
30th July 2003, 03:25 PM
Sir Stinkalot

thanks for the comments

I already have a Vicmark VM100 with the extra shark jaws. I am considering the Nova Compact as a second chuck with standard jaws so I can leave the shark jaws on the Vicmark. (Something of a luxury I guess).

The Teknatool specs all say it is suitable for the lathe I have - 12" swing over the bed. Also, it doesn't need an insert - it will go straight onto the 1''x10 headstock thread on the H&F Woodmaster.

thinking, thinking .....

Colin

Sir Stinkalot
30th July 2003, 03:34 PM
Ahhh .... you should have said that it was a second chuck to start with :)

It may be worth while then ..... if you went for the nova you would still require the insert which is another $20 or so. If we factor in the extra cost of the chuck $30 and the insert $20 then the small fella looks good. I was concerned only if it was your main chuck due to its small size and the fact that it cant take the entire range of jaws. It may be handy having a smaller chuck for detailed work. I got some stuff off GPW the other day and was impressed by their speed. :)

GO FOR IT!!

Sir Chiz
30th July 2003, 04:29 PM
I have 2 that I've been using for about two years.
They don't require in insert but are only available in a 1"x8tpi and 3/4"x16tpi configuration. I also have the Standard and Supernova and recently bought a Oneway Talon, it is not of the same quality as any of those chucks.
I personally wouldn't attempt to turn anything much larger than a 6" bowl.
I've turn a lot of boxes and small items with them and they work ok.
I recently had a problem with one,I was turning a 4"x4" cube when suddenly the wood went flying,something bounced off my faceshield and a light bulb blew out,the lathe shook violently till I shut it off.
When the lathe stopped,I could see only one jaw in the chuck,the other three came out a 1200RPM.
The snap-ring that holds the scroll-ring against the gears popped out of its' slot,allowing the scroll ring to back off releasing the jaws out the sides of the chuck.
Maybe I over-tightened it,I don't know,maybe I've been overtightening it all along and wore out the snap-ring...I don't know,maybe I was turning it too fast,maybe both.
I did measure the depth of the snap-ring groove to be .5mm,not much... I had a friend with a metal lathe turn the slots to 1mm deep and replaced the snap-rings,they seem to be ok now and I still use them but I will always be aware. ;)
They're ok for small turnings but don't plan on turning any large pieces with it.

Phil.

Chippy Chappy
6th August 2003, 04:15 PM
Apparently it comes with standard 45mm jaws will clamp between 25-45mm inside and 45-51mm outside. I was going to purchase one but as they recommend it for use on bowls not more than 75mm thick and no more tha 20mm in diameter to small for my work so I bought it's bigger brother no complaints.:p

colh
6th August 2003, 04:27 PM
Phil, Steve

thanks for the comments - I'll think about it a bit longer.

cheers

Colin