PDA

View Full Version : Nutcracker

DIY DAN
3rd May 2007, 10:32 PM
This is half of my latest turning effort. Its a walnut cracker bowl. I've still got to turn a small brass tipped mallet to go with it. Its Huon and because it was a little damp on the inside its a bit out of round. Still I'm quite pleased with the final result.

DIY DAN

rona
3rd May 2007, 10:42 PM
Looks good Dan,
I have not tried to turn Huon Pine, but it looks as though it would be a breeze. I got in touch with Australian furniture Timbers (AFT), in Port Melbourne earlier in the week to get their latest info and price list for all their varieties of timber they handle. To this end I will be ordering timber next week, and Houn will definately be on the list.
Like I said at the start it looks great, you have obviously spent a few hours turning, great design also. Well done.

Cheers,
Ron.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd May 2007, 10:45 PM
Looks good, but I hope it's more decorative than functional. Huon's a lovely wood to work with, but it really is the cheddar cheese of timber. So soft you can ding it with a fingernail, don't know that I'd want a klutz anywhere near it with a whacking stick. :wink:

TTIT
4th May 2007, 09:37 AM
Nice crisp detail on the beads Dan - good stuff.:2tsup: The only bit of Huon I've turned was only big enough for a sample egg - I'll bet your shed smells great at the moment!!!!!

masoth
4th May 2007, 09:45 AM
I've not had an opportunity to use huon and your effort looks great. Have you applied some sort of 'finish', or is that a natural state and what are the dimensions?

soth

Gil Jones
4th May 2007, 11:01 AM
Great looking beads.:2tsup:
I like the wood, it rather looks a bit like our Cypress,
but the grain is very hard to see.

DIY DAN
4th May 2007, 01:17 PM
Have you applied some sort of 'finish', or is that a natural state and what are the dimensions?

soth

Soth,

Sanded down to 1200 grit, then some EEE paste, and lastly Shellawax polish. Dimensions:- 210 mm diameter, and 80 mm high.

DIY DAN

Wayne Blanch
4th May 2007, 05:19 PM
Very nice bit of work there Dan.:2tsup:
Huon is great to turn isn't it, but what Skew said is right it is soooooo soft. I have turned a few platters from it and they are great for decoration but not too practical for use.

Stu in Tokyo
4th May 2007, 08:11 PM
Looks really good, I like the design, must have been fun to get all of the beads nice spaced like that! :2tsup:

Never thought of making one with a hammer to go with it, neat idea!

Cheers!

DIY DAN
13th May 2007, 07:52 PM
Finally turned the hammer to go with the Huon nutcracker. Quite pleased with the overall result.

DIY DAN

OGYT
14th May 2007, 03:44 AM
I agree with all the above posts. :U You did a nice job on it. Beads and coves and brass. It all looks good. Your beads certainly got mine beat!
You know, it may be pretty soft wood, but a few dings and nicks in it will certainly give it character over the next few years!!
Well done! :clap:

ss_11000
14th May 2007, 05:43 PM
great job mate:2tsup:

Simomatra
14th May 2007, 06:10 PM
Very nice
Lovely beads