PDA

View Full Version : A Sad Farewell

HoutBok
4th May 2007, 07:55 AM
I am typing this with a very sad and heavy heart on behalf of my husband Brian (Houtbok). He told me that he had mentioned on this board that he had suffered a stroke a few months back. Unfortunately he suffered a massive one on Tuesday - resulting in me having to make the hardest decision of my life on Wednesday and instruct the Doctors to turn the machines off as he was brain dead.

I know he spent many happy and pleasant hours on this forum and learnt a lot from everyone on this forum.

I would like to thank all of you for being there for him whether you knew it or not.

Kind regard
Leigh

johnc
4th May 2007, 08:28 AM
Leigh,

I am sure we are all saddened to hear of Brians passing, and of the postion you found yourself in at the end of his life. This will not be an easy time for you but it is nice to hear that Brian found some enjoyment in the forum and its information, banter and humour. Please accept this as an expression of sympathy to yourself and family.

Regards, John.

Wood Butcher
4th May 2007, 08:34 AM
Leigh, please accept my condolencenses. I know that everyone here laments the loss of a fellow woodworker :C

Gra
4th May 2007, 08:44 AM
As all above have said, please accept my and my families condolences.

DJ’s Timber
4th May 2007, 08:51 AM
Hello Leigh, I am saddened to hear of your loving partner passing away, please accept my condolences

Cliff Rogers
4th May 2007, 08:51 AM
Another one so young.... It is sad to loose anybody but it doesn't seem fair when they are not of an age that it would be expected.

Sorry to hear it Leigh.

masoth
4th May 2007, 09:01 AM
My condolences too, Leigh. A particularly hard decision had to be made for the right reasons. I sympathise with you, and admire your courage to enter this board to tell us - thank you.

soth

TEEJAY
4th May 2007, 09:07 AM
Sympathies Leigh from OZ - for sure he was far too young.

Thanks for sharing with us and yes there are a great bunch of guys here from all over the world - your partner being one of them.

Groggy
4th May 2007, 10:59 AM
My sincerest condolences Leigh, for yourself and your children.

I'm glad the forums offered Brian some entertainment and knowledge.

Clinton1
4th May 2007, 11:37 AM
Leigh,
My sincerest condolences to you and your family.
Your strength to come on here and tell us of both your loss and your terribly hard decision has to be admired.

Leigh, although it will be difficult for you.... remember the good years?

rat52
4th May 2007, 11:37 AM
I have been sitting here trying to think of something to say and words just do not express the emotions

The sadness of the loss

The courage to make the decision

The caring to let us know

Sturdee
4th May 2007, 12:34 PM
I have been sitting here trying to think of something to say and words just do not express the emotions

The sadness of the loss

The courage to make the decision

The caring to let us know

I agree.

It is a very sad occasion for if one of us dies a little bit in all of us dies with them.

This is the third in a short time as we remember Mick's wife and Steve, let's hope it is the last for a while.

Leigh, in your time of grief and as you learn to adjust to living without your beloved if you ever feel the need to talk to us, please do so for we may be able to help.

Peter.

BobR
4th May 2007, 12:51 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss. I support what others have said.

fred.n
4th May 2007, 12:52 PM
Leigh

Thank you for letting us know

We're here if you need us

namtrak
4th May 2007, 01:03 PM
All my condolences

MajorPanic
4th May 2007, 01:08 PM
Leigh,

This is very sad news. Our condolences & thank you for letting us know.

Brian will be fondly remembered by us & we are here for you to, if you need us.

ozwinner
4th May 2007, 05:43 PM
A sad day for all of us..:(

RIP

Al :(

jmk89
4th May 2007, 05:48 PM
Leigh

Thank you for letting us know.

Brian will be remembered fondly by all forumites, as I am sure will be the case for those who knew him better than we could through our virtual interaction.

You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Best wishes

Jeremy

Iain
4th May 2007, 08:31 PM
I can only echo the previous sentiments and may your God be with you in this terrible time.

outback
4th May 2007, 08:32 PM
Rat has summed up my thoughts and put it in words better than I ever could.

All I can add is my sincerext sympathy, from my family to yours.

K_S
4th May 2007, 08:32 PM
Like all forum members our sincerest condolences at this time

Waldo
5th May 2007, 12:34 PM
G'day Leigh,

As others have said, sincerest condolences to you and your family with the loss of Brian. To lose someone you love is hard at any time, harder yet when it's a husband and father so young.

It's my Dad's birthday today, except he died 5 years ago aged 53, I type this because it's important to always remember and keep very close to your heart all those times and moments that you were blessed to share with Brian.

RIP Brian. :(

HoutBok
5th May 2007, 05:16 PM
Thank you to everyone for the kind words and thoughts. I know I posted in the wrong thread and hope you will all forgive me. My children have also been reading your replies and have been very touched by the kind words.

Thank you
Leigh

ptc
5th May 2007, 05:35 PM
Our thoughts are with you.

Sir Stinkalot
5th May 2007, 05:39 PM
Leigh,

I think it has all been said. Brian will live on through your memories and the memories of you children.

Regards

Michael.

Groggy
5th May 2007, 05:39 PM
Thank you to everyone for the kind words and thoughts. I know I posted in the wrong thread and hope you will all forgive me. My children have also been reading your replies and have been very touched by the kind words.

Thank you
LeighLeigh, I have moved the thread and left a permanent redirection so it should remain accessible for your family. I will leave the thread open for latecomers to post their messages. Please notify the moderators if you wish it closed or have any other request of us.

Also, if you would like to leave a different message as his signature please let me know.

sincere regards,

Groggy
Woodworking Australia's Woodwork Forums

Gumby
5th May 2007, 05:54 PM
Another sad loss for the forum. :(

Deepest sympathy to you and the children Leigh.

Memories don't die and neither will his influence on all your lives.

Rest in peace Brian.

In what seems like a forum tradtion already, I'll be raising a glass in remembrance tonight at 8.

Groggy
5th May 2007, 06:37 PM
It is a very sad occasion for if one of us dies a little bit in all of us dies with them. As Peter suggests above, John Donne wrote below:

"All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies, one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better language; and every chapter must be so translated...As therefore the bell that rings to a sermon, calls not upon the preacher only, but upon the congregation to come: so this bell calls us all: but how much more me, who am brought so near the door by this sickness....No man is an island, entire of itself...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

Donne's poem is about the idea that people are not isolated from one another, but that mankind is interconnected. With the loss of Brian, and other forum members of late, we're all diminished to a degree.

John Saxton
5th May 2007, 08:10 PM
Leigh may I also pass on my condolences on Brians passing.

Know you this that we genuinely and sincerely feel for the passing of one our members and the void that is left without him.

As has been stated you do have our support in this your time of grief.

Kind regards

Chesand
5th May 2007, 08:16 PM
My condolences also
Mourn your loss but treasure your memories
Take care.

lesmeyer
6th May 2007, 12:24 PM
Leigh,
my sincerest condolences to you and the family and friends of Brian. I do hope that your memories of him will endure.
Regards
Les Meyer

Shedhand
6th May 2007, 06:42 PM
So awful to read of young ones going so soon. All the best Leigh. I'm sure you have lots of great memories.
Cheerio
Mike

Schtoo
7th May 2007, 01:37 AM
As Peter suggests above, John Donne wrote below:

"All mankind is...

... for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

Donne's poem is about the idea that people are not isolated from one another, but that mankind is interconnected. With the loss of Brian, and other forum members of late, we're all diminished to a degree.

Diminished, or enriched for having known them?

I think the latter.

Leigh and clan, please accept our most sincere condolences from way around the other side of the planet.

Schtoo and clan.

munruben
7th May 2007, 02:44 PM
Our thoughts are with you

HoutBok
8th May 2007, 05:20 AM
Thank you to all for the kind words and wishes. I think as we had Brians' funeral at 10 this morning it it fitting to close this thread now. It is heartwarming to see all the replies from "over the sea", many of your "handles/names" are very familiar to me as he used to talk to and show me your handiwork. I will miss him for all time but don't know if I will check in on the forum again. Again thankyou all for the pleasure you brought to the light of my life.

Leigh