PDA

View Full Version : trade for American woods?

dugn8r
5th May 2007, 12:20 PM
Hey - I live in the United States and was wondering what woods from here you might consider exotic that I could swap for some of your exotic wood.

Let me know by posting, write me at mark@etmgt or call me at 1-561-670-7065.

Mark

old_picker
5th May 2007, 12:42 PM
what about
well dried swamp ash in 8" x 2" x 36" lengths
curly maple also well dried similar sizes
claro wallnut
figured cherry

what do you consider exotic from australia??
give us a clue what you are after
i mean i can get jarrah, tassie oak, myrtle, blackwood?? what are you after

how would credentials be established??

lubbing5cherubs
5th May 2007, 11:56 PM
mesquite is beautiful we don't have that here. It is gorgeous and elm and osage but most wood from america is beautiful but so is all wood aus and america.
Toni

TTIT
6th May 2007, 12:33 AM
mesquite is beautiful we don't have that here. It is gorgeous and elm and osage but most wood from america is beautiful but so is all wood aus and america.
ToniDon't be too hasty Toni! Mesquite is growing in Qld and is considered a noxious pest so any cockies with some on their property would be glad for you to take it - just gotta find some!!! Prickly Acacia is in the same boat and I just turned my first piece last night - turns nice and looks great so I'll be looking for some of that too now.:U

BobL
6th May 2007, 02:09 AM
I presume everyone knows that we have strict quarantine laws and you just can't import wood willy nilly thru the post ?

reeves
6th May 2007, 07:54 AM
yes i ma happy to trade for some US woods in sample sizes, 6x3x1.Any species i dont have thats used for woodwork and has good figure. I can trade Rose Sheoak, Rose Mahogany, bluegum and others..

Lubbing, i think you get a fair bit of Mesquite up north in the Mt Isa area, its like a weed.
On the import front theres usually no problem getting wood in and out, long as its dry, has no bark, is sealed, both in was and plastic and its properly declared on the forms.

seriph1
6th May 2007, 09:49 AM
IMHO - woods that Americans would go absolutely crazy for:

River Redgum - the most incredible looking material around! (when I worked for a major furniture maker, we made and sold one RG table to someone in New York for $37000)

Australian Cedar
Jarrah
Huon, esp. in burls/birdseye
Fiddleback Ash

I would love to get quilted & tiger maple - Cherry in 5 inch square stock for table legs/Cabinet Pilasters

Walnutty
6th May 2007, 11:50 AM
I have some very figured eastern black walnut that I'd trade for similar in Jarrah, the shipping might be prohibitive (cost and regulations). 100 bf for a 100 bf?

Cheers,

WN-

seriph1
6th May 2007, 11:52 AM
now that's spectacular! Will post some pics of Redgum when I can ..... I think you'd prefer it over Jarrah, but you may not.

Walnutty
6th May 2007, 02:30 PM
Look forward to seeing both, thanks very much seriph1. Need to explore transaction essentials, but, who knows, maybe with a bit of patience, we can get this sorted out and others might be able to do this as well.

Cheers,

WN-

lubbing5cherubs
6th May 2007, 03:55 PM
Don't be too hasty Toni! Mesquite is growing in Qld and is considered a noxious pest so any cockies with some on their property would be glad for you to take it - just gotta find some!!! Prickly Acacia is in the same boat and I just turned my first piece last night - turns nice and looks great so I'll be looking for some of that too now.:U

Gidday Vern,
Yep prickly acasia is nice they have that poisoned here everywhere. Some is much nicer than other. What does mesquite look like? As you can tell I have no idea what trees what.:- :B :)
Toni

soundman
6th May 2007, 11:43 PM
importing small quantities fron the US is no problem at all.
as long as it is.
dry
clean
healthy
sawn on all faces
has no bark attached
and is not a baned.

need less to say no holes, mould, dirt,filth or things living in it.

cheers

TTIT
7th May 2007, 01:28 AM
Gidday Vern,
Yep prickly acasia is nice they have that poisoned here everywhere. Some is much nicer than other. What does mesquite look like? As you can tell I have no idea what trees what.:- :B :)
ToniWas talking to a club member who works out your way a bit and he reckons there's HEAPS of acacia round you there - big stuff too! He's going to bring some back for me next trip if he can find a chainsaw instead of his usual bow-saw.
Check out these links for the Mesquite - the more I look at it the more I think I've seen it round here somewhere!!! :shrug:
http://www.texasbeyondhistory.net/st-plains/nature/images/mesquite.html
http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/pdfs/international_programme/Prosopis-PolicyBrief-3.pdf
http://www.exotichardwoods-northamerica.com/mesquite.htm

seriph1
7th May 2007, 08:25 PM
here are a couple of pics of Redgum .... anyone who knows the material will attest to the fact that it is a bugger to photograph .... these pics were taken some years back and in a hurry! You can still make out a small amount of the material's rich colour and fiddle back grain figure. My good friend has literally hundreds of pieces of this, Jarrah, Huon Pine and Aust. Cedar....along with a bunch of less exotic timbers. I will be happy to put folks in touch with him, if there's any interest. he milled the RG himself and has had it drying for years. In fact he is currently milling a log this week ..... it is 5.5 metres by 1.8 - that's HUGE for RG, especially considering it is all fiddleback and has NO pipe up the middle. I think he got it from the Grampians, Victoria in 1990.

Have fun

seriph1
7th May 2007, 08:27 PM
one more pic - BTW that's the colour of the timber.... no stain, just clear wax finish

Walnutty
8th May 2007, 03:37 PM
Hey S1,

Yep, I like the RG also, wow. Just that pesky distance thing.....

I guess I should have married that girl from Gladstone, at least the annual in-law visits would have let me shuttle some back and forth......

What was I thinking:doh:.................hmmm, I've....got...her.....number......somewhere here..........let me work on this.......:;

Cheers,

WN-

BrettC
10th May 2007, 10:39 PM
Agree with Seriph - that Tiger Maple - wow:o . Seen a plain box made of that and I mean just 5 bits of it plonked together and sprayed with stain - looked magnificent!

As for River Red Gum rough milled some a while ago that is going to make up a dining table when I get round to it! Here are a couple of photos, should have wet it before the photos doesn't do the rich red justice really...

s_m
13th May 2007, 12:41 PM
importing small quantities fron the US is no problem at all.
as long as it is.
dry
clean
healthy
sawn on all faces
has no bark attached
and is not a baned.

need less to say no holes, mould, dirt,filth or things living in it.

And the most important thing you left out - DECLARED!

The conditions of import from the USA for non-Myrtaceae timber with dimensions under 200mm for non-commercial purposes are:

1. An Import Permit is not required.

2. A Quarantine Entry is not required.

3. Each consignment will be subject to an inspection to verify that it is free of live insects, bark and other quarantine risk material.

4. If the consignment does not meet the above conditions it will require treatment as detailed in the Commercial conditions below, re-exportation or destruction.

For full information check the AQIS website (http://www.daffa.gov.au/aqis/import/timber).

Steph

soundman
13th May 2007, 02:51 PM
Of course you'd declare it.:o
Only a complete idiot would try and get something thru without declaring it these days.:no: :doh: :~

cheers

junction box
12th June 2007, 11:08 PM
seriph1 says "anyone who knows the material will attest to the fact that it is a bugger to photograph"
I'd like add that it's also a bugger to machine. I worked in a high school for 6 years as the wood, metal & plastic technician and I always shuddered when students brought in an old redgum post or railway tie to dress down for their next project. God that stuff is hard! Apart from the rich claret colour that gets better with age (make that another Cabinet Sauvignon please) I'm not overly impressed by it as a furniture timber. It is harder than fort knox to penetrate (turns thicknesser blades into jam), has an extremely short grain with very low lateral strength, quite often it's riddle with gum viens, due to shrikage and warpage issues it takes some expertise to season, and is it's heavier than gold ingots. It does, however, makes great bridge timber! Now I know I'm new here and I wouldn't want to upset the old timers (that love their redgum) but there are some great other Aussie timbers:
Desert Oak, Swamp Oak, River Oak - Casuarina
Blackwood - Acacia
Mahogany Gum - Eucalyptus
Huon Pine - Dacrydium
Black Pine - Callitris
Myrtle (oldest living thing in Aus) - Nothofagus
Silky Oak - Grevillea & Cardwellia
Queensland Maple - Flindersia
Red Cedar (a hardwood and not a true cedar) - Toona
Black Bean - Castanospermum
Blackheart Sassafras (for ornamental turning)- Atherosperma
White Honeysuckle (for ornamental turning) - Banksia

It's a real pity that our early settlers left us with the legacy of "old world" names for our native timbers. Some of the exotic Aboriginal names seem to fit a lotbetter - Mallee, Wilga, Wandoo, Coolibah, Currajong, Biggera-biggerra, etc.

Ramps
13th June 2007, 12:09 AM
JB
I dare say that I agree
Great for a a slab table that isn't to be (read that "doesn't want to" or "can't be") moved. but working with it I have found less than pleasant to say the least.
BTW RRG or E.camaldulensis is found over this part of the world but no one seems to talk about it (well much anyway) not even good enough for sleepers!
Their version of red gum over here is Marri because it has red gum that often seeps/pours our of it due to insect damage and it's a blonde timber ... still much nicer to work than Camaldulensis if you can avoid the biggest of the sap pockets :~ .

junction box
13th June 2007, 06:42 PM
I feel the only interesting redgum pieces are the burls - the large warts that are cut from old trees. In the hands of an accomplished artistic turner they can produce some fairly impressive results.
I would be extremely surprised if redgum can't be found growing in the US - maybe in California and other warm/dry zones. The only issue would possibly be the (im) maturity of the trees.

Capt. Zero
29th June 2007, 12:05 PM
Okay folks, I would definately would be interested in some swapping. This week my platter is pretty full and wallet thin. However, I would be interested in some small swaps for inlay, pen blanks, ect. Ive some curly maple scraps and a failed clock face I haven't decided what to do with yet. Can get chuncks(apprx. 8x8cm.) of mesquite easily enough, I buy it by the bag and use it for bbq flavoring(yum yum). Also I have a source of free red oak 3 hours away (literally by the truck load: 2 meters and down by 4cm and down, various lengths and widths. An old country millwork shop and they burn their scrap every other day. My brother in law is talking of milling some local native wood (dogwood, cedar, sweet gum, ect). And one last thing, have recently have come into small amounts of piano key ivory for inlay.
If I could figure out how to get this dagblasted *%$#* computer to post some photoson this forum I would. If you want email me at [email protected] (the space underlined)and I'll send some photos that way.

"waiting for the electrician or someone like him"

Shedhand
1st July 2007, 11:22 PM
I'd like some snakewood if anyone can source it for a reasonable price. 49743 The dark wood.
Cheers

salty72
12th November 2007, 09:34 PM
IF I could please get you to have a look here
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=58803

there might be something that you would be intereseted in (Oh and Swapping is prefered of course)
Mark
Salty72(at)tsn(dot)cc

seriph1
13th November 2007, 07:02 AM
no idea what snakewood is but that guitar is spectacular

ravlord13
18th November 2007, 01:19 PM
I'd like some snakewood if anyone can source it for a reasonable price. 49743 The dark wood.
Cheers

G'Day Shed Hand,
Have you imported any Timber into Tassie ( Legally) , I have thought about it but when I inquired the regulations and Quarantine laws made it TOO hard.
I have bought in Raspberry Canes for the farm from the Mainland and the cost and such made it unsuitablely expensive for a hobby.

Just wondreing if things have changed?
would love some Ebony and have a heap of Houn Pine root slabs full of Figure I could swap.

Cheers Andrew

Pusser
18th November 2007, 05:01 PM
no idea what snakewood is but that guitar is spectacular
terry gordon has some info on snakewood here http://www.hntgordon.com.au/newslettersold.htm go to 4 july 04

Cheers