PDA

View Full Version : Help with crud via IE7

Shedhand
6th May 2007, 04:42 PM
G'day all.
Help needed. I have IE 7 installed. I don't use it. I use Firefox and thunderbird. I am bombarded constantly with pop-unders via IE7. I have blocked pop-ups but can't find a way to block the other crapola. Out of the blue (about 10 times an hour IE7 fires up and I get about 10 windows of junk advertising. US Uni degrees, Lottery tickets. Poker sites etc. etc. No though. I never use my ordinary email adress when signing up for stuff or buying on line. I have a junk address for that stuff.
Any ideas on stopping all the crud. I'm a very experienced user (20 years) but not had this problem (pop-unders) before.
Cheers

NewLou
6th May 2007, 06:29 PM
LOL yer I'm the same and flat out refuse to use microsoft based browsers on the web. I got pig noises n the sound of a motorbike (Chook chaser) going bwrrrrrrr bwwwwwrrrrrrrrr bwwwwwwwwwrrrrrrrrr needles to say u feel like getting your puta and throwing it out the window!!!!

The last bit of hot mail I got from all my geek m8's is not too use explorer for anything. Is too many security issues n naughty hackers online chaos merchants and the kid yup the road target it just to get up bill gates nose!

I'd try an uninstall then reinstalling it................but a few of the other puta savy members might have a better fix!

REgards Lou

Ianab
6th May 2007, 07:01 PM
Sounds like some spyware has gotten installed on your sytem :((

It just sits there running in the background and launches ads at random.

You can try something like AdAware and see if that cleans it out.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad-aware_se_personal.php

Cheers

Ian

DJ’s Timber
6th May 2007, 07:13 PM
I agree with Ian too, you got some spyware in the system

bsrlee
6th May 2007, 08:59 PM
Yep - get & run 'AdAware' AND 'Spybot Search & Destroy' - one seems to find stuff the other ignores.

Then open the security settings in IE & set them to maximum.

Then get a free copy of 'Zone Alarm', install & use it - it stops the 'brute force' attacks that bypass regular 'security' by pretending your computer is not there - been using it for years & it seems to work 100%.

Shedhand
6th May 2007, 09:13 PM
Thanks guys but got all that. ZA Pro, Adaware, Spybot & AVG. Had ' em for ages and all latest updates (daily). This only started happening when I updated to IE7 without thinking when Windows Auto-update ran. I tried to uninstall IE7 but just won't happen. Bill Gates sucks. :((

ptc
7th May 2007, 10:37 AM
So does IE7
Realy stuffed my memory to

Shedhand
7th May 2007, 10:54 AM
It seems Firefox could be the problem. I looked at the properties of about a dozen of the pop-under popups and they are all listed as Firefox Documents. ?? Anyone else using firefox having this problem? :?:?

Big Shed
7th May 2007, 11:00 AM
I'm using Firefox and ever since I have started using it I have not had any pop-ups.

Previously used IE6 with Pop-up Stopper, that wasn't too bad, but still got some every now and again.

Gra
7th May 2007, 11:04 AM
Shddie,

I am with the guys above. Sounds to me like spyware has got through. I have firefox and IE7 and dont have a problem.

Shedhand
7th May 2007, 11:22 AM
aha...running AVG again. Found:
count.jar virus (zip file containing 3 java viruses) :((
file[1].ani trojan downloader :((

dunno how these got through. I'm like fort knox here!!!!

K_S
7th May 2007, 05:46 PM
Gday SH

If I want to tame any program I go into ZoneAlarm Program Control find the program right click the ACCESS/SERCER/SENDMAIL option and either ? or X them.

Also if you have Spybot you can prevent programs from starting up automatically in the TOOLS section. They are still available through the enu or desktop shortcuts.

Good luck

Thanks guys but got all that. ZA Pro, Adaware, Spybot & AVG. Had ' em for ages and all latest updates (daily). This only started happening when I updated to IE7 without thinking when Windows Auto-update ran. I tried to uninstall IE7 but just won't happen. Bill Gates sucks. :((

Gra
7th May 2007, 05:57 PM
dunno how these got through. I'm like fort knox here!!!!

Slippery little suckers, arent they..:D :D :D

Shedhand
7th May 2007, 06:36 PM
Gday SH

If I want to tame any program I go into ZoneAlarm Program Control find the program right click the ACCESS/SERCER/SENDMAIL option and either ? or X them.

Also if you have Spybot you can prevent programs from starting up automatically in the TOOLS section. They are still available through the enu or desktop shortcuts.

Good luck
thanks for that keith.

MajorPanic
8th May 2007, 06:23 PM
Sheddie,

Had same problems as you. I fixed it up by looking here;
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=84154&postcount=4
I had to run the little program 3 times to kill off the persistent bastards but in the end I won!! :2tsup:

Shedhand
8th May 2007, 06:29 PM
Sheddie,

Had same problems as you. I fixed it up by looking here;
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=84154&postcount=4
I had to run the little program 3 times to kill off the persistent bastards but in the end I won!! :2tsup:I'll check it out. It still pops under/up. I've killed off everything related to IE. VERY persistant.
Thanx Major.

MajorPanic
8th May 2007, 08:19 PM
I can report that it's ALL fixed. :2tsup: :2tsup: :2tsup: :cool:

faster booting
faster opening of FireFox
faster opening of web pages
no memory drain
back to normal!! :U :U :U