PDA

View Full Version : Pain.........

Stu in Tokyo
7th May 2007, 06:43 AM
Yep, I named this piece "Pain" as it was a "Pain" to rough out (lots of bark inclusions), it was a "Pain" to keep, as it dried out way to fast and checked like crazy, it was a "Pain" to work, as the mighty skew wanted to catch on EVERYTHING, it was a "Pain" to get a nice finish cut on the outside, as there is so much going on, it was a "Pain" to sand, as it was hard in some spots, soft in others, and moved around a fair bit........... yep it was a "Pain" :cool:

45542 45543 45544
Sorry, the pics suck, I'm getting my light tent set up soon!
More Ginko wood, it started as an exercise in using the skew, but the wood had so much going on, I had to finish it.

I'm not really pleased with the form, it's OK, but not really classic or elegant. The cap is walnut, hollowed out to about 1/8" thin, and boy is it flexible

Finished with two coats of sanding sealer, two coats of lacquer and then buffed and waxed.

About 8" tall I guess.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers!

WillyInBris
7th May 2007, 09:06 AM
Looking Good Stu,

For some reason I have really started taking a like to light coloured woods like this for some reason.

Do you have a lot of woods like that over in Tokyo, keep the videos coming Stu you did well.:2tsup:

Id give you a greenie but I have no idea how :doh: , maybe someone could pm me how.

Gil Jones
7th May 2007, 09:13 AM
Stu,
It may have been a pain, but free wood and good practice are valuable.
Skew practice is even more valuable.
Besides, it does not look bad at all. Keep up the good work!!:U

RETIRED
7th May 2007, 03:57 PM
Looking Good Stu,

Id give you a greenie but I have no idea how :doh: , maybe someone could pm me how.

Press on the little scales under the name at the bottom of the posters window.

Stu in Tokyo
7th May 2007, 08:00 PM
Some better pics

45567 45568

Using window light and my photo tent. I still need to work on the lighting thing....:-