PDA

View Full Version : Mango must go

soundman
8th May 2007, 11:56 AM
As a result of the recent mango adventure I have a pile of mango that I cant jump over.:D That isn't a problem in its self, but the dreaded mango mould is.:~

There is much more mango than I can process before it all goes off.... and it rained last night and the night before.:(
this stuff needs to be dealt with pretty quickly or it will all be full of mould.

send me a PM or an email thru the board.
located brisbane far south.:D

cheers

Greg Ward
8th May 2007, 12:50 PM
Mal at Boutique at Rollands Plains is always looking for mango, is it log(s)? How big?
Volume? Is it processed, if so, into what sizes? Is there a semi load or a small truck load? He'll take a semi load if you have that much

And of course..... how much in $ terms....

Regards
Greg

soundman
8th May 2007, 08:49 PM
There is currently about 1 realy decent 6 x 4 trailer load and it's GREEN.
I dont think I've ever seen what you could seriously call a "log" of mango.
there is lots of crutch wood and some trunk sections up to 600 across.

Sam is comming tomorrow afternoon.....I don't know how much he can chew on.

free to good homes

but it needs to be dealt with pretty soon and put somewhere dry or it will all go black.

cheers

Wood Butcher
8th May 2007, 09:15 PM
What sort of treatment does it need to stop it going black?

soundman
8th May 2007, 09:47 PM
Putting it somewhere dry is a good start.

From what i gather drenching with borax will deter mould and insects.

I'm dernching all the stuff I've choped up with borax.

Makes the fresh cut wood go bright yellow, I hope this goes away later.... I know it washes off with water quite redily.

cheers

dai sensei
8th May 2007, 10:51 PM
It would be a shame after all that work Soundman to give it all away, but it is a bit hard to sell when it is still dripping sap.

My slabs are under cover and Ok so far, and coated in borax (my car is now out in rain :- ). The blocks however were outside, so the rain has washed off all the borax :(( Knew I should have covered them with a tarp :- , but I wanted the air to get to them as much as possible.

Perhaps you need to cut and slice real fast, then off to the kiln to dry it ASAP is the answer. I've ensured all the pieces are not on their end grain, but on their bark sides, to minimise risks.

Can't do much with mine now, have to wait until I get back from Melbourne. Might have to rough turn and leave in 50/50 metho/detergent mix, at least it keeps the mould off.

Dean
8th May 2007, 11:05 PM
pm sent :2tsup:

soundman
8th May 2007, 11:19 PM
I'm not giving it ALL away:D
you'll notice I said one decent trailer load:D
And nobody gets any of those " choice bits" that I've already processed:~

I put two tanks of fuel thru the chain saw this afternoon.

anyway I'd rather share it arround rather than see it do off.

cheers

soundman
8th May 2007, 11:23 PM
:D :D winter is comming on Neil..... so you wont be using the pool......you could make up a stiff solution of detergent & borax & dump the lot in there:o

cheers

Cliff Rogers
9th May 2007, 12:08 AM
Just chuck it in the pool as it is.... :D
Even just washing the sap out of it helps heaps. :2tsup:

Simomatra
9th May 2007, 05:25 PM
Thanks Soundman

All at home and stowed away thanks for sharing much appreciated

dai sensei
9th May 2007, 10:21 PM
Just chuck it in the pool as it is.... :D
Even just washing the sap out of it helps heaps. :2tsup:

Actually thinking along the same lines myself, but the salt may take the colour out of the timber, and it would play havoc with the creepy crawly :U

soundman
9th May 2007, 10:52 PM
I had "sam & dave" over this arvo & they put a dent in the pile..... but they wouldn't sing...... not even 1 motown number:D

there is still a bit there

I'm expecting a vist from bill & dean sometime.... they should be able to clean the rest up between them.

cheers

LuckyDuck
10th May 2007, 08:19 AM
This is just a public thank you to soundman for his generosity in sharing some of his mango wood. Thanks very much mate!!:2tsup:

PS. I was never much of a singer anyway...