PDA

View Full Version : More computer help, please

masoth
8th May 2007, 01:02 PM
Would one or more of the computer wizz-bang Members mind helping me with this (one more) problem, please? When clicking on MOST links in the forum I cop the following:

"One or more PDF Extensions are disabled. This may impact how PDF's are displayed in Internet Explorer. Please go to Manage Add-ons in Internet Explorer and enable add-ons from Adobe. You will need to restart Internet Explorer after performing this action."

IE7 does not contain, that I can fiind, 'Manage Add-ons' and searching Adobe Reader offers no help either. I'm cranky as .... because I'm missing out on stuff, eh?

soth:C

Gra
8th May 2007, 01:07 PM
look in the tools menu should be the forth option down after the phishing filter options

Cliff Rogers
8th May 2007, 01:12 PM
Click the down arrow beside the word Tools in the top right corner.
Now click on Internet Options & pick the Programs tab. (2nd from the right at the top)
On the bottom of that window you will find you Manage Add-ons button.

See if that helps.

Cliff Rogers
8th May 2007, 01:14 PM
Thanks Gra.... now you have made me look like a dill. :cool: :D

That will work too Soth but my way takes longer if you aren't in a hurry. :p

Gra
8th May 2007, 01:18 PM
Thanks Gra.... now you have made me look like a dill.

All in a days work mate:D :D :D

masoth
8th May 2007, 01:30 PM
Thanks Fellas. I used both recommendations as Murphy would have it the Adobe PDF Reader is enabled (I realize each took me to the same place). I'm the dope, because I had accessed this weeks ago but had forgotten. What was the question?

soth

Still not fixed, by the way.

Cliff Rogers
8th May 2007, 01:49 PM
OK, I nominate Gra to go around to your place to have a look at the problem 'cos he is closer than me. :D

masoth
8th May 2007, 04:54 PM
OK, I nominate Gra to go around to your place to have a look at the problem 'cos he is closer than me. :D

Cor Mate. I can't even afford his travel costs let alone some aweful hourly rate.

soth

Ooops, almose forgot - I know you geeks are into reading the fiine print, however I need to clarify that you did read the "Extentions" and not Adobe Reader only.

Cliff Rogers
8th May 2007, 05:10 PM
.... I need to clarify that you did read the "Extentions" and not Adobe Reader only.

Can you post a link to something that you are having problems with?

I can't even find anything about PDF Extensions in my Add-ons.... just the Acrobat Browser & a helper & I don't seem to be having any problems.

Have you tried updating your Acrobat Reader?
What version are you using.... is it 7?
Open Acrobat Reader & click on Help & Check for Updates.

Dan
8th May 2007, 05:11 PM
Take the first part of your error message and bung it in Google. You'll usually find a tech note or an entry from another forum far far away. Like this one (http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=333544) from Adobe.

Cliff Rogers
8th May 2007, 05:19 PM
Good one Dan. :2tsup:

See ya next week when you have finished ya homework soth. :D

Gra
8th May 2007, 05:29 PM

ROADTRIP........

Cor Mate. I can't even afford his travel costs let alone some aweful hourly rate.

Damn, he has seen my call out fees:doh: , or my Fuel bill:o

masoth
12th May 2007, 09:44 AM
Cliff, you asked for a link which responded in the way I described (I wasn't ignoring you)
Post by Honorary Bloke in Willyuncle's thread "How do you set router bit depth? (3/4")":
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pdf/Rabbeting.pdf is the first to come up with my 'error' problem.

soth

Big Shed
12th May 2007, 10:01 AM
FWIW that link works fine for me, but then I don't use IE7 or otherwise, I use Firefox and I must also say I have the full version of Adobe Acrobat 5, not just the reader, on my puter.

masoth
12th May 2007, 01:29 PM
Thanks Big Shed. I have Acrobat 7 (6, and 5 are still showing in Search) but how do I make it the default reader in place of Reader alone? Would this be the right approach for all pdf files I may encounter? I ask because pdf files in this forum are not the only failures.

soth

Big Shed
12th May 2007, 01:51 PM
Masoth, there is obviously a problem with file associations to open the pdf files.

There are sevral ways to do this, in my Windows2000 I do this, find a pdf file, right click on it, click on Properties, see what Win thinks it should be opened with, if not Acrobat, hit the Change button.

Hope that helps.

I did upgrade to Acrobat 6, but had "issues" with it, so stayed with 5, does everything I want. Same reason I'm still on Win2000.

masoth
12th May 2007, 04:06 PM
Sheddy, I now have Adobe Acrobat 8, and using that I opened "File" then "Open" and used copy and paste for the link - it worked, but is a tedious way of getting there. Do you know how I may force v8 to function as my default reader (I did accept most of the recommendations for installing).
Thanks for your help.:2tsup:

soth

Gingermick
12th May 2007, 04:40 PM
in windows explorer, tools / folder options and file types. check that .pdf is associated with acrobat.

Big Shed
12th May 2007, 05:39 PM
What I said above, or what Mick said. However I have a feeling there is something wrong here, as the mere action of installing Acrobat normally makes that your default reader.

If it hasn't, what error message do you get when you double click on a pdf file that is already on your computer, ie not an internet link to a pdf file?

masoth
12th May 2007, 09:07 PM
Again, using 'Search' I tried opening http://www.penturners.org/content/Wood-Drying.pdf which used Adobe Image Ready (a photographic application) and get the message "Could not complete this operation. This is an unknown file format"

soth

masoth
12th May 2007, 09:17 PM
in windows explorer, tools / folder options and file types. check that .pdf is associated with acrobat.
I'm using IE7 and can find no Tools (or other option) with an item called 'folder options' and that looks to be a very interesting feature - can you suggest any other avenue to reach it?

soth

Gumby
12th May 2007, 09:26 PM
I'm using IE7 and can find no Tools (or other option) with an item called 'folder options' and that looks to be a very interesting feature - can you suggest any other avenue to reach it?

soth

He means Windows Explorer, not the internet browser, IE7.

Another option is to right click on the file, scroll down to 'OPEN WITH', go to 'CHOOSE PROGRAM', scrolldown to the program you want to use (or use browse if it isnt listed), left click on the progam to highlight it in blue, tick the box which says 'ALWAYS USE THE PROGRAM TO OPEN THIS TYPE OF FILE' and click OK.

masoth
12th May 2007, 09:45 PM
This is becomming a saga, of sorts, and I'm about to give in to the technology.

Gumby. right clicking accesses three options:
"Open";
"Open in New Tab"; and
"Open in New Window", and they are of no help.

soth

Big Shed
12th May 2007, 09:53 PM
Masoth, I realise this can get frustrating but............

A few posts higher I asked what error message do you get when you double click on a pdf file on your computer NOT an internet link as you did above.

If you double click on a pdf file on your computer, and it doesn't know about pdf files, then it will come up with a box listing all sorts of possible programs, select Adobe Acrobat and then it should ask "Do you want to use this in future" or words to that effect.

What version of Windows are you running?

Big Shed
12th May 2007, 09:55 PM
This is becomming a saga, of sorts, and I'm about to give in to the technology.

Gumby. right clicking accesses three options:
"Open";
"Open in New Tab"; and
"Open in New Window", and they are of no help.

soth

Soth, fro where I am sitting you are right clicking on the above link, that is not a pdf file as such, it is a link to a pdf file on the internet file. Try and find a pdf file on your computer and right click on it, or do as I have suggested above.

If all else fails, you can ring me and I will walk you through it. I have PMed my phone no.

Fred

Big Shed
12th May 2007, 10:09 PM
Soth, I have attached the file you were trying to link to above,

what do you get when you double click on it to open it?

masoth
12th May 2007, 11:49 PM
Soth, I have attached the file you were trying to link to above,

what do you get when you double click on it to open it?

A File Download window asking:
"do you want to open or save this file?
Name: Wood-Drying.pdf;
Type: Photoshop.PDFFile. 9, 38.2KB; and
From: www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au).

OPEN/SAVE/CANCEL"

Followed buy a caution about trusting internet files.

I'll check your two earlier posts in the morning - I've taken my
'go-to-sleep-pill'.

soth

Big Shed
13th May 2007, 08:58 AM
So when you choose OPEN what happens then?

masoth
13th May 2007, 12:42 PM
A file is downloaded to a temporary file. There is no icon to access the file, and all happens too quickly to identify where it is logged.

soth

Gumby
13th May 2007, 01:46 PM
You will find where your files are being downloaded to if you open Windows Explorer (not the browser), click on search up the top. Do a search in 'My Computer' for the following....
*.pdf

that will locate all pdf files on your machine. When you find the one which you downloaded, do the right click thing I outlined before.