PDA

View Full Version : Computer Problem - Anti Virus

Metal Head
9th May 2007, 09:03 AM
Hi Ian (u-beaut),

Firstly, I was wondering if it would be possible to set up a computer section on this site. I am aware that it is primarily a woodwork site but there appears to be more computer threads started in the past 6 months and we appear to be blessed with a few clever IT people.

Secondly, I have got this problem on my works computer (see attachment). Every time I fire up the machine these two items keep popping up. Our IT has loaded up 2 Symatec items on the desktop (please see attachment) that initially appeared to resolve the problem but now it as happened again. Other people in the department have got the same problem but our IT guy appears to be unable to resolve the problem:(.

Does anyone here know how to correct the problem?.

Regards
MH

Gra
9th May 2007, 09:32 AM
Every virus program keeps a database of known virus's and how they work. This is how it detects a virus. These databases need to be updated on a regular basis or the virus protection becomes ineffective.

This message is just advising you that the database your virus protection program is using hasnt been updated recently and is becomming ineffective. It isnt fatal, but it is bad practice

Cliff Rogers
9th May 2007, 09:50 AM
Yeap, :whs:

I don't think we need a computer section here.
Most of the problems (other than the forum ones) that have come up on this forum could have been solved with a simple google search.
:google3:

Big Shed
9th May 2007, 09:58 AM
but our IT guy appears to be unable to resolve the problem:(.

Time for another IT guy as well as updating your Symantec AntiVirus I think

Barry_White
9th May 2007, 11:07 AM
Just delete the program and get the free AVG program.

Here http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

RETIRED
9th May 2007, 02:03 PM
Hi Ian (u-beaut), is Ian. Ubeaut is Neil, at least the U is, Beaut is his lovely wife Pauline.Of course I am better looking than him.:roll:
Firstly, I was wondering if it would be possible to set up a computer section on this site. I am aware that it is primarily a woodwork site but there appears to be more computer threads started in the past 6 months and we appear to be blessed with a few clever IT people.

Secondly, I have got this problem on my works computer (see attachment). Every time I fire up the machine these two items keep popping up. Our IT has loaded up 2 Symatec items on the desktop (please see attachment) that initially appeared to resolve the problem but now it as happened again. Other people in the department have got the same problem but our IT guy appears to be unable to resolve the problem:(.

Does anyone here know how to correct the problem?.

Regards
MH

Poppa
9th May 2007, 02:12 PM
You can set up Norton Anti-Virus (and just about every other anti-virus programme out there) to automatically download up to date virus protection updates every day (or at other intervals). Your IT guy needs to be clever enough to be able to work out how to do this (it is very easy), or he needs to find another line of work. :;

jow104
9th May 2007, 05:41 PM
The problem with anti virus programs is that everyone elses is rubbish!

My new PC supplier last week rubbished the virus program supplied by my server (came free with the broadband package) and stung me for bullguard which he swore on his life was the bees knees (what ever that means) so I start getting some problems and I go and have a look at the bullguard forum and and they are screaming at bullguard at what a load of cr ap version7 is.

RobP
9th May 2007, 06:35 PM
Agree with Barry.
AVG Free works fine for me.
Cheers
Rob

mic-d
9th May 2007, 07:00 PM
Ahh the joys of being a Mac user...

Cheers
Michael!