PDA

View Full Version : Kiridashi - please explain.

willie
9th May 2007, 01:34 PM
At first I thought Kiridashi were carpenters marking tools, then I vaguely remember reading something about them being general purpose knives that everyone, even schoolkids carry from time to time.

Please help. Are Kiridashi a carpenters tool or a general purpose knife? To me they do not appear to be general purpose but these impressions often change when one becomes comfortable with a tool.

Thanks for any ideas.

Des.K.
9th May 2007, 02:41 PM
Willie,

I think you'll find they're cutting knives. The word kiridashi means to cut out. At the cheaper end of the market, I think the Japanese would class the Stanley knives or something similar as kiridashi knives. The top of the line ones can range up to quite a few hundreds of dollars. I dare say they would have a range of uses similar to our utility knives. Carving, cutting out, and probably marking.

For marking, Japanese carpenters would tend to use the sumitsubo (ink wheels) and sumisashi (bamboo marker).

(After the above) Just to make sure I wasn't talking total drivel, I checked Odate's tools book and he says about kiridashi:

This is an all-around knife -- when I was a little boy in grammar school, it was mandatory for all of us to have a kiridashi-kogatana and scissors in our pencil boxes.

Hope this answers the question.

Regards
Des

soatoz
9th May 2007, 03:15 PM
For marking, Japanese carpenters would tend to use the sumitsubo (ink wheels) and sumisashi (bamboo marker).

Yes, and there is a marking knife called Shirahiki for more delicate marking where pencils and sumisashis are too thick. I think you got mixed up with these. Shirahiki is a must item for serious small cabinet maker. I will list them as soon as I get them in. I am getting a superb one from Nagahiro from Tokyo. Not so expensive.

Oh one more thing, these shirahiki knives are used as a pair. I think you can see why! A hint, remember basically all Japanese tools are single sided edge.

(After the above) Just to make sure I wasn't talking total drivel, I checked Odate's tools book and he says about kiridashi:
This is an all-around knife -- when I was a little boy in grammar school, it was mandatory for all of us to have a kiridashi-kogatana and scissors in our pencil boxes.

Great book isn't it!? Every J tool fans must own a copy.

willie
10th May 2007, 12:05 AM
Thanks all.