PDA

View Full Version : Sanding Sealers / Grain Fillers

Scottb
7th August 2000, 04:21 PM
I'm new to woodworking and have recently finished a blackbutt bookcase with sheaoak lining boards. I have used a tried and tested oil/wax method as supplied by Gary White. After going through the finishing process I found that the sheaoak had a more consistent and higher sheen finish than the blackbutt. I mentioned this to a friend that has done a lot of french polishing and he suggested that I should use a sanding sealer or grain filler prior to finishing. I would like to know what more experienced woodworkers have to say on this and if there is any preference to product and its use.

Thanks

Scott

RFNK
14th August 2000, 09:18 PM
Scott, I fell deeply in love with Feast Watson sanding sealer about 12 months ago. I sand to a very smooth finish, then I rub in FW sealer so that no pools or shiny bits are left. Then I sand with very fine paper (800+) very lightly. Someone else on this BB suggested very fine steel wool instead; that's probably good advice but I get good results with the fine paper. After that, finish it with poly, wax, or whatever you prefer. The big advantage of the sealer is that it seals and thus protects the wood. As far as I know, all waxes and oils lose their protective qualities much more quickly if you don't use sealer. My preference is satin poly rubbed in so that each coat is very, very, very thin. Hope this helps! Rick

Mac Simmons
15th August 2000, 11:31 AM
Sanding sealers are not intended for filling the grains of woods.
Paste wood fillers are made for this purpose.
If the filling is done right, it will reduce the amount of time, and coatings you will need to complete the work.
MacS

------------------