PDA

View Full Version : What bottle of red have you opened this week?

havenoideaatall
9th May 2007, 10:17 PM
This afternoon, my father-in-law and I went down to Dan Murphys to buy some good reds to drink this winter. The recent birth of my second daughter and payday also had something to do with it. Now, to me, when selecting the wine, its not the price, it's the consideration, although I do tend to disgard the very cheapest - say under $7-8. (Yes I know!)

Amongst some Cab Savs and Merlots I picked up a
2003 Coriole Redston Shiraz ($16) and a
05 Wynns Coonawarra Estate Shiraz (on special $11).

cheers

Haveno

ozwinner
9th May 2007, 10:21 PM
I opened a bottle of spicy red sauce this week, does that count?
Im more of a chateu cardboard bloke myself...:B

Al :U

Honorary Bloke
9th May 2007, 10:25 PM
That reminds me, Aussie wine has invaded the States big time. I'm assuming you send over the stuff you lot won't drink. :rolleyes: :D

If I recall, one is branded Yellowtail?

Big Shed
9th May 2007, 10:27 PM
I opened a bottle of spicy red sauce this week, does that count?

Not if you put it on tofu it doesn't:D

bennylaird
9th May 2007, 10:27 PM
I opened some D'Arenburg Dead Arm Shiraz, in fact a few of them and others similar. Goes for $510 retail but thats for 6 bottles.

Big Shed
9th May 2007, 10:29 PM
That reminds me, Aussie wine has invaded the States big time. I'm assuming you send over the stuff you lot won't drink. :rolleyes: :D

That one is especially made for export and they export squillions of it. You seppos must have developed a taste for it.

bennylaird
9th May 2007, 10:29 PM
Yellowtail has a good marketing plan and they sell heaps over there.

Usually the Aussie wineries sell "Critter Wine" to the States. It has some sort of critter, a lizard, kangaroo or koala and names like "Hoo Roo".

bennylaird
9th May 2007, 10:31 PM
And they come from "South Eastern Australia"

A famous region that we Aussies cant work out?

Big Shed
9th May 2007, 10:33 PM

That's where all of Dan Murphy's cleanskins come from too.

Must go there one day, there should be a lot of interesting wineries to visit there.:2tsup:

AlexS
9th May 2007, 10:35 PM
Sat down at the weekend with a lifelong friend and knocked over a bottle of '03 Peppertree Shiraz. Beautiful:2tsup:

Usually the Aussie wineries sell "Critter Wine" to the States. It has some sort of critter, a lizard, kangaroo or koala and names like "Hoo Roo".

That makes me cringe! We make good wines, but then try to sell them on novelty value. About 20 years ago they sold an Aussie red in the UK as Kangarouge.

havenoideaatall
9th May 2007, 10:45 PM
Yellowtail has a good marketing plan and they sell heaps over there.

That is so true. Yellowtail have done their marketing homework; simple, clean, design and grape color-coding too. I remember buying a bottle in London on the appeal alone.

Jacobs Creek almost sales by itself - I bet they sell cheaper stuff on the back of their good stuff although I see even their cheaper stuff is marked as good value. Same applies to Penfolds.

I did have a laugh at the gear locked away in cabinets. Another time, another place maybe. In practise I tend to not pay much more than $25 a bottle especially if it was to drink at home.

I also like PepperJack.

bennylaird
9th May 2007, 10:55 PM
Any of you Melbourne guys who want a good time tasting come along and see me when I do the next sale. I help out for the tastings. It's www.thewineliquidationcentre.com.au

AlexS
9th May 2007, 10:59 PM
Any of you Melbourne guys who want a good time tasting come along and see me when I do the next sale. I help out for the tastings. It's www.thewineliquidationcentre.com.au

Sounds good! Wine's liquidated me a few times.:D

Cliff Rogers
9th May 2007, 11:44 PM
Lost count. :drinks_wine:

Abug
10th May 2007, 10:04 AM
2002 Firefly Shiraz (night harvest).

Still got 5 bottles left.

Scored a case of 12 luckily about 10 months ago for $50. Bargain.

Yes from a bottlo too.

Bob38S
10th May 2007, 10:59 AM
Anything from Moss Brothers in the Margaret River, WA.

www.mossbrothers.com.au

Particularly their Moses Rock Rose and Cabernet Merlot. Not cheap but really really good. I believe they are available in Sydney and Melbourne from certain shops.

We were over there a few years ago - these days - send an email, slightly burn the card a little and usually within a week the postie delivers - great people to deal with.

Tex B
10th May 2007, 12:20 PM
Been on some medication for a while, and have had to banish alcohol. Tonight will be my first sip in almost two weeks. :D

I've had my eye on a bottle of Beresford Shiraz. The 2004 is an absolute ripper, worth about three times what they sell it for I reckon.

Southeast Australia usually means Riverlands/Griffith area. About 2/3 of Australia's grapes are grown there, and most of that wine is exported or sold in bulk.

Bob, we do tend to keep the good stuff here, but you can sometimes find some of our better drops in the bottle shops in the US. Look for Penfolds, Katnook, Majella, Leasingham (OK, I'm partial to SA reds:wink:), I've seen all of those in the shelves in the US.

Tex

Poppa
10th May 2007, 02:30 PM
I opened a bottle of cheap French Syrah from 2000 - the in-laws and my darling were drinking it with me and they all know nothing about wine and couldn't detect a good one from a lump of 4x2. Plus the in-laws think everything French must be good, so they think I'm splurging on them when in fact I'm using up the stuff I don't like. I have about 12 or 13 cases cellared from '98 - '00, when I was buying a fair bit of wine to cellar. Now I'm not buying any and drinking my reserves, but most of it is ready to drink anyway so I'm not too concerned. It will be a sad day though when I run out. I usually drink the stuff I really like with friends that appreciate it. I rarely paid more than 20-25 a bottle for wine (always by the case), and if you choose wisely and cellar for 5 years plus you end up with a cheap cellar full of excellent wine. My favourites would be 2 cases (minus 2 or 3 bottles!) of '98 Coriole Shiraz, a mixed case of Charles Melton from about '98, and the case of mixed stickies that I put away in '99. These are turning into absolute crackers.

MajorPanic
10th May 2007, 02:47 PM
Finally opened our last bottle of Coldstream Hills Pinot Noir 1993. Gawd damm bloody BEAUTIFUL it was too :cheers:

Tex B
10th May 2007, 02:53 PM
IMy favourites would be 2 cases (minus 2 or 3 bottles!) of '98 Coriole Shiraz, a mixed case of Charles Melton from about '98, and the case of mixed stickies that I put away in '99. These are turning into absolute crackers.

I reckon Charles Melton is a genius. Everything I've had from him has been sensational. Coriole seems a bit more variable, with some outstanding and some pretty ordinary. I imagine your 98 shiraz ought to be some of the outstanding stuff.

Now you're making me thirsty.

Tex

bennylaird
10th May 2007, 02:57 PM
Finally opened our last bottle of Coldstream Hills Pinot Noir 1993. Gawd damm bloody BEAUTIFUL it was too :cheers:

We have the 2002 vintage, excellent drinking now but sounds like it will get even better?

TEEJAY
10th May 2007, 03:03 PM

Insert big "green with envy smilie"

We openned Annies Lane shiraz just over $20 a bottle - our favourite red in the upper end of affordable range.

Yet to explore Pinot Noirs, but do like them generally.

havenoideaatall
10th May 2007, 06:50 PM
I opened a bottle of cheap French Syrah from 2000 - the in-laws and my darling were drinking it with me and they all know nothing about wine and couldn't detect a good one from a lump of 4x2. Plus the in-laws think everything French must be good, so they think I'm splurging on them when in fact I'm using up the stuff I don't like. I have about 12 or 13 cases cellared from '98 - '00, when I was buying a fair bit of wine to cellar. Now I'm not buying any and drinking my reserves, but most of it is ready to drink anyway so I'm not too concerned. It will be a sad day though when I run out. I usually drink the stuff I really like with friends that appreciate it. I rarely paid more than 20-25 a bottle for wine (always by the case), and if you choose wisely and cellar for 5 years plus you end up with a cheap cellar full of excellent wine. My favourites would be 2 cases (minus 2 or 3 bottles!) of '98 Coriole Shiraz, a mixed case of Charles Melton from about '98, and the case of mixed stickies that I put away in '99. These are turning into absolute crackers.

Sounds like a good plan - stocking the cellar with 20-25 buck wines and allowing ageing to take place. I'd have to make sure I drink slower than I buy.

fred.n
10th May 2007, 07:11 PM
Im more of a chateu cardboard bloke myself...:B

Is that the Green, Blue, or Red cardboard??:U

ozwinner
10th May 2007, 08:07 PM

All of the above.

Al :2tsup:

bfx
10th May 2007, 09:04 PM
This is my first post - I think, I have already tried once on this thread so it might be my second.

I am drinking a 2005 Phillip Shaw No 17 Bordeax blend from Orange in NSW. An absolute delight for one so young although perhaps a little too much merlot for my taste.

I should also declare my interest in this subject. I own and operate a winery in Central Victoria - www.butterflycrossing.com.au (http://www.butterflycrossing.com.au) - I know the label is another animal reference but I swear I wasn't aware of all the other critter labels when we came up this name (I was living and working in the middle of Africa and saving money to build the winery and wood working shop).

Chau

Bill

havenoideaatall
10th May 2007, 09:04 PM

Don't knock it. I used to call the 4l boxes of my student days the ''Falcon' wine cos they reminded me of Ford engine displacement.:roll:

bfx
11th May 2007, 08:13 AM
2005 Phillip Shaw No.17 from Orange in NSW. A delightful Bordeaux blend although perhaps a little too much merlot and not enough cabsav.

A 2005 St Anne's Vineyard shiraz/cabernet. Nice fruit, nice balance but not inspiring.

Both the above were freebies so I have no idea how much they cost.

I've also opened several bottles of Blamires Butterfly Crossing shiraz but that is because I make the stuff and when I am not in the workshop on weekends I am pouring wine in the cellar door of my other shed.

Chau

Bill

Simomatra
11th May 2007, 09:26 AM
Opened for the youngest sons birthday a 1985 Grange that we have have had for a very long time.

Purchased when grange was reasonably priced not like todays prices.

It was ok but I still prefer the St Henri for my taste

Dean
11th May 2007, 05:54 PM
Banrock Station 2005 Crimson Cabernet :2tsup:
Although cant find it anymore locally :(

K_S
11th May 2007, 06:00 PM
HB

Don't be like that. Would we do that to you lot:D:D:D

Shedgirl
14th May 2007, 11:45 PM
We've opened a whole lot of bottles of Baffle Creek cab sav and granache, made of local grapes in our very own garage by my husband who only gulps it down for research purposes. It's fabulous, of course. We call it "Garage", as opposed to "Grange", which is made up the road a bit and rather overrated.

Apart from that, we haven't opened any bottles.... just sucked the new sangiovese straight from the barrel with a bit of plastic tubing.....

havenoideaatall
28th May 2007, 09:27 AM
This week's purchases:
Annie's Lane Shiraz 2002 $15 special
SA Shiraz 2001 $15 special (given away by SWMBO to the midman that delivered our youngest)

Both on aged cellar release from Murphys.

This week's cheapy - Bailey & Baileys Cab Sab $11 - very fruity, but smooth, nice taste - might get some more.

I have the SA Shiraz in the 2005 so would have been interesting to compare. Part of the interest is that most wine is ready to drink within 3 years or so, not all cellar well.

Geoff Dean
29th May 2007, 12:18 PM
Sunday night with the roast lamb we had a Brown Brothers 2003 Patricia Cabernet Sauvignon
(and it helps that SWMBO works there)

Cliff Rogers
29th May 2007, 12:24 PM
How was the 2003 from that area?

Not a good year for assie red in general.

Geoff Dean
29th May 2007, 01:12 PM
Cliff, I had no complaints after the third glass, and neither did the guests.

(Un)fortunately SWMBO could not give her opinion, as they say you shouldn't drink with one in the oven. No complaints from me about this, I get to drink twice as much, and I got a chauffeur.:D :D :D :D

Doesn't get much better.

Peter57
1st June 2007, 10:15 PM
Opened a bottle of 1957 vintage Pedro Ximinez Sherry the other week. Not too shabby. A friend gave it to me years ago so I decided to let it wait until we were both 50. Not bad at all - although I don't think it's supposed to be a flash drop of grog. Just shows what age can do for you

Pricey
1st June 2007, 11:00 PM
Opened a bottle of "First Encounter" Mt Benson, Limestone Coast today. Cab Shiraz 2004, fantastic. I'm not a wine coniwhatever but Limestone Coast region wines are great. This is the 4th different wine i've had from there and i'd recommend them to anyone. SA reds are noticably ahead of any others.

Groggy
1st June 2007, 11:14 PM
Kanawinka Milla Milla Vineyard Cab Sav 2004.

Bought a box off a mate who bought a pallet; I now know why. Quite a nice drop and, at 14%, needs to be nurtured.

In other words - keep it to yourself :2tsup:

bfx
2nd June 2007, 01:05 AM
Just got home from dinner with friends. We had a Harcourt Valley Chardonnay followed by a Lynnevale Estate Cabernet Shiraz.

Barry Hicks
2nd June 2007, 05:33 AM
In my younger days I bought lots of Rene Pogel.

Barry Hicks

AlexS
2nd June 2007, 01:54 PM
Knocked over a very nice Hoffmans 2002 McLaren Vale Cabernet Sauvignon last night. Have to keep an eye out for more.

robbiewy
4th June 2007, 08:39 PM
Had a Pipers Brook Chardonnay a good Tassie wine went down really well with the sushi followed by a crayfish thermidor. Yummy!! My dad’s 80th birthday a really good weekend.

Cliff Rogers
4th June 2007, 10:04 PM
:secret: chardonnay isn't red. :D

robbiewy
4th June 2007, 10:54 PM
:secret: chardonnay isn't red. :D
I know but the Rosemont shiraz wasn’t worth talking about sorry.

Groggy
4th June 2007, 10:55 PM
I know but the Rosemont shiraz wasn’t worth talking about sorry.Hmm. I don't think we can accept that.

Drink two bottles of red and report back.

:wink::D

jmk89
5th June 2007, 07:37 AM
Wirra Wirra Cab Sauv 2002 - ripper. It went really well with the beef cheek pie!

bfx
5th June 2007, 08:25 AM
I am at Dookie College this week doing a residential session for my winemaking course. The rooms are like prison cells - except for the Parisian versions - but I was allowed to bring my 'puter.

Last night we had a structured tasting of students' wines. The stand out wine was a Brands Cooonawarra Cabernet Shiraz Merlot. Strange blend but stunning wine with so much depth and intensity and all those shiraz and cabernet characteristics combined into one - I couldn't detect the merlot but maybe that was just me.

I get to go home tomorrow night and get back to the important things in life: setting up my woodshop and building the new kitchen.

Bill

mic-d
11th June 2007, 09:38 PM
Jacobs Creek Reserve Shiraz 2004 is a nice drop.

Cheers
Michael

bennylaird
12th June 2007, 11:06 AM
Another weekend of selling wine coming up. such a pity I have to taste it all?

Maybe some D'Arenburgh Shiraz to start with?

K_S
12th June 2007, 11:15 PM
Got spoilt last Sat night. A mate bought a Penfolds 389, we went to dinner - he paid for that also.
Started with a bruschetta.
The had with a lovely penne marinara with extra prawns.
YUM

My shout next time.

BobR
13th June 2007, 12:31 PM
For no special reason at all finished off the last bottle of Penfolds Cabernet Shiraz Bin389 1988. It passed muster :2tsup:

kiwigeo
16th June 2007, 10:39 PM
We have the 2002 vintage, excellent drinking now but sounds like it will get even better?

Dont leave it too long...Pinot Noir generally doesnt have same cellar life as a shiraz or cab sav. If you plan of cellaring the stuff then pull out a bottle every 12 months and try it.

My pinot noirs generally dont spend more than 3 years in my cellar.

kiwigeo
16th June 2007, 10:51 PM
Recently opened in my cellar:

Bowen Estate Shiraz 1998 - not drinking as well as it was last year.
Bowen Estate Shiraz 1997 - IMO drinking better than the 1998.
Bowen Estate Shiraz 1996 - at its peak IMO.

Balnaves 1996 The Blend - Magnificent wine. Last bottle in the cellar :(

Rockfords 1998 Basket Press Shiraz - great but not yet at its peak
Rockfords 2002 Rifle Range Cab Sav - great but still a few years to go.
Rockfords 2003 Rifle Range Cab Sav and BP Shiraz - very green and tight.

Geoff Hardy 2002 K1 Shiraz - Magnificent. One of geoffs best efforts for some time.
Geoff Hardy 2003 K1 Shiraz - Nothing like the balls of the 2002. Might improve with a year or two in the cellar but my overall impression is that 2003 was a bit of an average year for SA reds.

2002 Penfolds Grange - at $500 a bottle do you think Im crazy enough to actually drink the stuff. A grossly overpriced cult wine that I buy purely for investment purposes.

Reccomendation - buy up all the 2002 red you can before its gone from the shelves.

Cliff Rogers
17th June 2007, 11:33 AM
..Reccomendation - buy up all the 2002 red you can before its gone from the shelves.
Agree, mostly.... I had a Leeuwen Estate 2002 blend Friday week ago & it was smooth but not a Friday night after work wine, no balls.
We had a Wyndham Estate Bin 444 Cab Sav 2002 last night & it was, in my opinion, much better than the Leeuwen Estate from last week.
The Millaa Millaa pub has some Rosemount Estate Show Reserve Cab Sav 2002 on the shelf for $34 a bottle, I'm not sure if that is a good price or not, seems a bit high.

Wild Dingo
20th June 2007, 01:36 AM
Wine?... gak puke!! Cant abide the stuff... maybe its me other side of the tracks palete but gawd strewth people you may as well go buy a bottle of vinigar!

Actually I think it might be my palate... have never tasted a good wine yet had a lot of different wines put in front of me from time to time some really excellent chatew de cardboard along with what people call grange hermatige but didnt make a stick of difference still tasted like vinigar to my taste buds :C

My elder sis is right into the stuff and will spend thousands on good "quality" wine... but even when she offers the really good stuff... its still vinigar to me... so I dont get offered it much anymore :no: :C

Still there you go... some like rum an some dont some like scotch some dont some like kahluah an some dont an some like wine and some like me dont like the stuff... so its all good :2tsup:

John Saxton
20th June 2007, 10:14 PM
Last night we had a structured tasting of students' wines. The stand out wine was a Brands Cooonawarra Cabernet Shiraz Merlot. Strange blend but stunning wine with so much depth and intensity .

Bill

Crikey Bill you'll have Stoppers(aka Christopha) in conniptions next about the Coonawarra reds and deservedly so.:2tsup:

I'm getting most of my wine (reds) made by an old chap, (in the Margeret River region) and making it without preservatives ....man the bouquet and the freshness which is drinkable after a year.
I've been on an annual sorte to Margeret River and have a reasonable cellar which is problematic in the ensuing move interstate but won't be drunk in haste to lessen the load but rather nurtured in it's entirety to see me out those long cold winters over yonder!:D

Sipping on a Cape Mentelle Zinfidel over dinner and now has the problem of wine induced typos so I'll leave ya all to ponder on one of life's great delights of being partial to some teriffic Oz reds.

Cheers:)

bfx
20th June 2007, 11:58 PM
John,

It's many years since I have had a Cape Mentelle Zinfandel. It is an old favorite of mine but haven't seen one for a while.

On the preservative free wine, how long does it last? My 2004 Shiraz had a very low level of preservative (last time I checked it had 3.5ppm SO2) but is starting to look a little tired. Luckily I have sold all but my museum stock and I hope most of my customers have consumed their stock or are watching it closely.

Bill

John Saxton
21st June 2007, 12:23 AM
Bill,

From the chap that makes the wine, he reckons on about five years and the wine I'm getting is about 1 yr and recently bottled.

Good solid red cabernet style.

cheers:)

Cliff Rogers
28th June 2007, 12:08 AM
I can't read the empties... it is too dark here inside the bin. :p

kiwigeo
28th June 2007, 06:34 PM
Cracked a 1994 Wynns Michael Shiraz last night...overall verdict...a tad past its peak. If youve got any of this stuff then think about drinking it soon.

Carry Pine
1st July 2007, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the tip. I was only admiring it on the wine list last night at $100 a bottle......but it wasn't the 1994. (Like is in my cellar)

We had the Annies Lane shiraz and it came in a screw top! Not even a fake cork. A bloody screw top! I'm not even going to think that they might be topping them up.

CP

John Saxton
16th July 2007, 09:10 PM
Just uncorked a 2001 Capel Vale cabernet shiraz merlot an unknown quality but sniff of the cork gave a hint of perhaps a delectable red to savour over dinner....we await with the wine now breathing!!

Cheers bon appetite :)

Hagrid
22nd July 2007, 11:05 PM
I just graduated and got out something special and it was.
Bugger only 5 to go
Hagrid

Dusty
2nd August 2007, 06:21 PM
I just purchased a bottle of De Bortoli Yarra Valley Cabernet Savignion 2001

I'll give it a kick in the guts over dinner. Hope it's a good drop.

John Saxton
2nd August 2007, 10:27 PM
Another red brew of a roughish & uncorked and savoured..but not too shabby cab sav of the local made variety(Margeret River) as SWMBO has decreed a staunchly and well made Spag Bol mated with accompanying overdosed Garlic bread is the order for tonights fare!!

Geez this REDS bloody nice ...only trouble takes twice as long to hit the keys here:wink: eye's a failin' rapidly ...oh heck give it a 'nother nudge finish off the bottle much to 'er indoors dismay!!!!:oo:

You'all have a good one...er night that is !!:;

cheers:) I think therefore I WILL

bennylaird
3rd August 2007, 08:56 AM
Some Hudsons Estate 2005 Shiraz. Peter Hudsons wine but think they have folded. Anyway a $35 top peppery shiraz for only $10. We sold out fast but I managed to secure a few dozen for my own use.

jerryc
15th October 2007, 07:16 PM
Just finished my last Mount Prior Durif. 1997. A pleasant dinner party but sadly I noted I hadn't topped up supplies of this smoothie. Have to remedy that ASA:P

Jack E
15th October 2007, 10:08 PM
I was in Bordeaux a couple of weeks ago and ordered the "Chateauneuf du Pape which I believe roughly translates to "Chateau of the new Pope"

Rather pricey but it was without doubt the best wine I have ever had!

Everyone I spoke to in France knows of this wine, it has quite a reputation.

It must be good because when we ordered our second bottle the waiter made quite a show of it and we recieved special treatment for the rest of the night.

Unfortunately good wine is hard to come by on Thursday Island and we sent our wine collection to the inlaws in Brisbane for storage before moving north:(

Luckily it is in a locked Vintec cellar and I have the only key:)

Cheers, Jack

Pusser
16th October 2007, 02:15 AM
As far as critters to the US go, a Victorian wine Ducks Muck was awarded 99 by Parker and sells in the US for about $1500 US. There are now quite a few wines at the premium end made for the US including
Mollydooker Carnival of Love 2006 $125 US and Hundred Acre 2004* $269 US. By Comparison the Grange 2002 sells in the US for $299US. My son in law is in the wine business in San Francisco and provides me with the data. Lucky he does or I would not even know about some of these specialty Australian wines.

My best tipples this week were a 94 407 and a 98 389. Both were extremely good with plenty of years left - unfortunately I don't have plenty left!

Pusser

greaser_au
24th November 2007, 11:59 PM

From what I've seen on the labels, I'd suggest this is anywhere from the Barossa Valley to the Hunter Valley!!!! :U

I'm not a huge 'red' fan but getting to be a bit of a diehard cleanskin sampler... & from my experience so far I won't discriminate on the closure! :)

best wishes,
david

Crom
30th December 2007, 01:24 AM
'04 Piano Gully Cab Sav Merlot. Took out a dozen empties to the garbo yesterday morning.