PDA

View Full Version : Installing Cast Iron fireplace

DOA
10th May 2007, 12:03 PM
Hi all, just come across this fantasic forum and any advice would be grately appreciated.

Renovating and 1900 Period weatherboard home at the moment and just purchased a second one for my troubles. OH what have I got myself into!:doh:

Installing a cast iron fireplace (feature item only, non operational) into an existing fire brick fireplace. Chimney removed from ceiling up by previous onwers.

Curios as to best way to secure cast iron fireplace to brick facier, will be plastering above mantle piece and behind as well unless you guys tell me otherwise.
Should i just rest the fireplace against the wall and secure it or hold it in place with the wooden mantle piece?

Also how is the best way to cleanup the cast iron, remove old paint, prep and re paint? Which is the best black paint to use?

Would like to get it right as there's four fireplaces in the house I just purchase

Cheers
DOA:2tsup:

ozwinner
10th May 2007, 06:45 PM
Believe it or not but most old cast iron inserts were held there by wire.
There should be some lugs on the back so you can fix the wire to it.

Al :)

TermiMonster
10th May 2007, 06:55 PM
In my experience, many were held in place by the surround, which was often nailed or screwed into timber lugs inserted into the mortar perp. (equivalent of current day spagetti;)
TM

LegacyGT
10th May 2007, 08:04 PM
the design of it puts the weightso that it will stick to the wall. well in my application it did. so then the mantle sorta holds it in place (3 screws).