PDA

View Full Version : E-Mail Help

Purpleheart
13th May 2007, 08:44 PM
Hi All. I hope someone can help me here.

I have to send an e-mail (well, complaint actually:rolleyes: ) to a large government department. To illustrate my point, I would like to include some digital images.

When I have done this in the past, the images (which were attached as "attachments") were lost as the e-mail was passed from person to person.

Is there any way to "in-bed" them into the letter so they can't be lost.

Can they be "hosted" somewhere, and a link used ?

Thanks - Ph.

watson
13th May 2007, 09:16 PM
G'day Ph,
There are sites like photobucket.com and probably hundreds of others that host photos and other attachments, easy to join/no cost/ and you can insert the link into your email.
There is another way...that I've forgotten...of embedding them in the text, but a lot of Govt departments won't allow this.
Try www.photobucket.com

Purpleheart
13th May 2007, 09:35 PM
Thanks watson.:)

I know how to host them on a site, what I meant was....well......you know how you can host an image say on imageshack, and link a "thumbnail" to a forum, so a small image appears in the text, and when you click on it, you see the larger image.

Either that, or the full size (well - not thumbnail, say less than 100k size) image to appear in the text.

Thats what I'd really like. Just not sure how to do it. If all else fails, I will just have to host the photos and use a link.

Cheers - Ph.

Gingermick
14th May 2007, 10:54 AM
Dont insert them as an attachment, in outloook I think you can insert a picture into the text. Insert / picture though i'm running lotus notes at work so cant check.

bsrlee
14th May 2007, 09:31 PM
You will need a word procesor program that can save as a .pdf or web archive .mht(?) file. Some WP's allow you to save a regular .htm file with embedded images, but that is a bit iffy when sent on, as you seem to have found.

You can use Internet Explorer to convert a common .htm file to .mht - just open the file with IE and then select 'Save as' from the 'file' menu, then select 'save as web archeve (.mht)'. That will save having to buy MS Word or something similar, there are also some shareware programs that will take a regular document with pics & save that as a .pdf.

Once you have your document saved with the pictures included, you then open your e-mail program & attach the whole document.

If the recipient claims to have lost the pictures etc, I suggest burning the lot to a CD & sending it registered with sign-for-delivery. Or go to the Ombudsman.

markharrison
14th May 2007, 09:50 PM
I think the PDF idea is the best. Most government departments are very very strict on website usage. You might get someone questioned about their web usage. OTOH, maybe they shouldn't keep their jobs :-