PDA

View Full Version : what timber is it?

thefixer
13th May 2007, 09:48 PM
Can anyone tell me what type of timbers these two samples are? I found both of them on a nature strip near work. They are from trees which had just been cut and I dived on them straight away. Even the chain saw dust around them was still wet. Got them home and sealed both ends immediately. The one with the red centre is brown/grey when first cut, but goes very red after a about an hour. The one with the orange sapwood is something I have never seen before. The pic doesn't lie, it is brilliant orange. Cant wait to turn them in about 4 years time. Will try a couple of wet turns though and see how they go.

Cheers
Shorty

TTIT
13th May 2007, 10:33 PM
I've got no idea what either of them are but why wait 4 years? :o Into 'em now mate!!! You might lose the colour in the orange one if you leave it to dry. I find turning some timbers green and nuking them not only stops the cracking but holds the colour much better too. Apart from that, if they start to mould like mango and lebbeck and the likes, you might not get to use much at all. Have some fun and go green - at least for some of it!!!!:;:U:U:U

reeves
13th May 2007, 10:59 PM
mm at a guess, the first one looks like a generic australian eucalypt or variant of wattle, i have seen them round here a bit, looks like a stringbark on the outside but the dark heartwood looks like wattle..

The orange one could be osage orange but also looks a bit like a type of fig, a rainforest tree with whiteish to yellow wood, pretty soft when turned..

u may get more response in the timber thread..

thefixer
13th May 2007, 11:10 PM
I've got no idea what either of them are but why wait 4 years? :o Into 'em now mate!!! You might lose the colour in the orange one if you leave it to dry. I find turning some timbers green and nuking them not only stops the cracking but holds the colour much better too. Apart from that, if they start to mould like mango and lebbeck and the likes, you might not get to use much at all. Have some fun and go green - at least for some of it!!!!:;:U:U:U

Hi TTIT

How long do you nuke the timber for once you have turned it and to what thickness do you leave it at before nuking?
Cheers
Shorty

reeves
14th May 2007, 08:36 AM
hah i think by nuking Vern means using the microwave, now this technique is open to much debate but in general short bursts, like 20-30 seconds on medium or defrost should do it. I tend to leave it to cool for a good few minutes...works but its easy to go too far...

On the wood you have i would tend to green turn some rough shapes 2-3 cm thick and leave em where you can see em, like in the lounge and watch how they behave over a few weeks...helps to get to know yr woods..use some light oil like grapeseed or similar to help em stop cracking. After afew weeks they should be dry enough to bung back on the lathe and finish off. I have found this technique excellent for understanding how different woods behave from green and get them to dry quicker...also makes good talking points domestically ;-)

TTIT
14th May 2007, 09:26 AM
Hi TTIT

How long do you nuke the timber for once you have turned it and to what thickness do you leave it at before nuking?
Cheers
ShortyAs Reeves said, the nuking method of drying causes a lot of debate and it varies from tree to tree - literally. I have found that even conditions like drought and soil fertility can alter the way the behave in the microwave - presumably due to silica content etc :shrug:
Some woods, like the acacias, you can almost finish turn as they don't move much at all when cooked, some warp and buckle more than if they were left to dry naturally and some behave like popcorn so it's hard to say how thick you should leave them. You really have to experiment with what you have. Try starting with one about 1" thick. Make a note of it's weight and nuke it til it's warm to touch - not hot! - handleable - and note how long it took to get it that warm - like 55 seconds or whatever. Let it cool completely, weigh it again and hit it for another 55 seconds and so on until it stops losing weight.
If the stuff you have starts cracking in the microwave, you might try just letting the rough turning dry naturally or use one of soaking methods you'll find in other threads here. One way that often works for me is to just cover the outside of the turning with paper so it doesn't dry too quickly - sort of lets it dry from the inside - works well for Sally wattle for example. Experiment ! Enjoy!:U

thefixer
14th May 2007, 11:55 AM
Thanks Reeves and TTIT. pleny of info there to get me started and experiment somewhat.

Cheers
Shorty

DJ’s Timber
14th May 2007, 12:34 PM
I reckon neither of these are natives, going by the first one it looks very much like an Almond tree that I once scored and the 2nd one looks to be some type of Evergreen tree, some evergreens will go orange when cut green and stay that way if turned and sealed while it's green.

hooppine
14th May 2007, 09:03 PM
I have a lot of the first timber in my drying section of the yard and I got it when we had a tree cut down in my back yard. It was what we call here in brisbane a black wattle. I have made half a dozen heavy candle sticks out of some of the branches and the waist is interesting. I can not show you photos because I have given them all away.

PS I stand to be corrected but only by soeone who knows what they are talking about :doh: Ha Ha To be certain you would have to see it first hand. The bark looks very similar. Best of luck with it.

Frank&Earnest
14th May 2007, 09:21 PM
...the first one it looks very much like an Almond tree that I once scored.

Seconded. But I don't know what I am talking about, so Hooppine could still be right...:D