PDA

View Full Version : old timber

thefixer
13th May 2007, 10:22 PM
When I first saw this piece of timber I immediately thought old red gum. But then when I put the sliding saw through it I thought "yeah baby come to daddy" Couldn't believe the color and grain in it, so straight to the MC1100 it went. I think I spent more time at the grinder than at the lathe though. It was hard as concrete. Woth the effort I think. Criticisms welcome please, I'm still a beginner. And I know I should have turned the tenon off but I may put it back in the lathe later and make thinner when I get some better chisels.

OGYT
14th May 2007, 03:59 AM
In the timber plank it makes me think of an old teak crossbeam. But don't know what teak looks like finished up. Whatever it is, it's beautiful timber.
Don't blame ya... about the tenon.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th May 2007, 04:37 PM
Hmmm... pity you can't do a positive ID on it. With that shape, if it's that hard and 'twas known to be food safe, I'd be inclined to leave it alone; just turn a pestle from a contrasting wood, perhaps a dark walnut, to end up with a nice mortar & pestle set! :thyel:

On second thoughts, I'd think about grinding away a smallish part of the inner lip to make it easier to pour the contents out, but I don't think I'd turn it any thinner or even remove the tenon. For some things, solid is better. :wink:

Simomatra
14th May 2007, 06:08 PM
Only a beginner too

It looks as you say a bit thick but you can re do it if you end up not happy with the thickness

Nice piece of timber

rsser
14th May 2007, 06:25 PM
Could be Brushbox. That was often used for piers and bridges and has a high silica content that will blunt a tool after one or two passes.

Doc Ron
15th May 2007, 12:59 AM
. And I know I should have turned the tenon off
Not necessarily, IMHO. The amount you left looks about right for a foot on the bowl . I personally like to see a footed form rather than one that sits flush with the table, I think it gives more definition to the entire shape. Anyway, nice work and nice shape. Nothing to be ashamed of for a beginner or for anyone! :2tsup:

Frank&Earnest
15th May 2007, 11:21 AM
In the timber plank it makes me think of an old teak crossbeam. But don't know what teak looks like finished up. Whatever it is, it's beautiful timber.
Don't blame ya... about the tenon.

Yep. Don't know what teak looks like in the plank, but the finished piece definitely looks like it.:D

Rookie
15th May 2007, 12:00 PM
I've seen redgum as light as that at my turning club, and I've had pieces from an old fence post that are as dark as anything I've seen. So who knows. Nice though.

And if you were entering a competition the judges wouldn't want to see how it was held, but I have no problem leaving my tenons when I think it adds to the shape.

Nice work.

What tools were they. Good quality or more the budget type. Might be a combination of tools and timber that sent you to the grinder so often.

rsser
15th May 2007, 06:13 PM
True, redgum comes in allsorts.

This slab was clearly used for rough work given the inclusion of the pith. Sleeper comes to mind.

Like DocRon I'm a foot fan ... but around size 5 or 6 rather than 8. (Also a DO fan; must've been twins separated at birth.)