PDA

View Full Version : Non-metal nails/staples

masoth
14th May 2007, 12:01 AM
I read somewhere, and now can't find, an article on the use of, I think, nylon nails/staples in boat construction. Does anyone have knowledge of this procedure and can supply information and links to web items?

soth

TermiMonster
14th May 2007, 06:49 PM
http://www.raptornails.com
I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but it's a place to start:)
TM

masoth
14th May 2007, 09:27 PM
Thanks TM. :2tsup:
It's not the site I had read, but is the product.

soth

Pagie
15th May 2007, 10:16 PM
Go to this thread
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=47392

Boatmik
15th May 2007, 10:47 PM
That' s the one - would be great to get a report on how they actually go for boatbuilding!!!

MIK

Pagie
16th May 2007, 09:47 PM
They work.. They hold bits together until the glue dries, what more do you want?
:2tsup:

Boatmik
17th May 2007, 03:58 PM
They work.. They hold bits together until the glue dries, what more do you want?
:2tsup:

What have you used it for? The fishing canoe that you did?

Where did you use them on the boat?

With normal staples (which have to be removed) generally 6mm ply is the upper limit if putting ply down.

I haven't used them ever and have only heard about them. I imagine they would be a great boon for cold moulding.

What sort of mark do they leave - would it possible to varnish a surface and have them not show too badly?

Very interesting

Michael

Pagie
17th May 2007, 10:49 PM
Not built a boat with them yet. only used them to put a few small things together. Boxes and a seat for the Larsboat. I didn't have the brads and staples when I built it. You can get the nails and staples in lots of colours so you should be able to use varnish. The ones I got are a light brown. they go into hard mountain ash with no problems. They are only polymer or resin so do not have much shear strength but are fine for holding things together. I would like to try them for a strip plank boat.

Boatmik
18th May 2007, 12:55 AM
Cheers (again) for that Pagie

MIK

Wheat
1st June 2008, 09:24 PM
Why not try metal staples. Just shoot them through plastic packing tape the heavy duty stuff that is used to tie timberpacks together etc. Then when the glue is dry grab the tape with a pair of pinchers or pliers and pull them out. Staples should only be used till the glue dries they give zero structural strength and I imagine the standard staples are cheaper and they would certainly be easier to get.
Goodluck
Wheat
:C