PDA

View Full Version : Suspended, a two drawer box.

Sculptured Box
15th May 2007, 05:36 PM
Hi

Australian Red Cedar, two drawers, 20 cm tall (approx.)

masoth
15th May 2007, 08:57 PM
Now that has a "wow" factor. I like the curves and the clever use of the wood, but the finish seems to be not completed. ???

soth

Sculptured Box
15th May 2007, 10:35 PM
Now that has a "wow" factor. I like the curves and the clever use of the wood, but the finish seems to be not completed. ???

soth

with a little bit of PC magic - here is another image ~ finished - you decide!

RufflyRustic
16th May 2007, 09:27 AM
Yep, it still has the WOW factor :)

You have such unique designs SB :2tsup:

cheers
Wendy

ciscokid
16th May 2007, 10:28 AM
That's very, very nice. How do you sand all the nooks and crannies smooth? When I try to bandsaw, I get nothing but a whole lot of little ridges.

Sculptured Box
16th May 2007, 10:42 AM
ciscokid

if you have excessive machine marks, such as you describe, then it is likely that your bandsaw is not properly set up. If you have a look at Bandsaws and Blades information sites (http://www.tonyward.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=3&id=38&Itemid=90%22%3E) you will find a number of worthwhile sites to assist with the bandsaw set up.

Re the sanding - there are a couple of hand held devices which help, such as attaching sanding paper to a dowel, ruler or as my good friend p.t.c. will suggest an electric knife. Other than that, it is just pure hard grind to get the desired finish.

zenwood
16th May 2007, 11:53 AM
Brilliant design . . . and I prefer the "incomplete" finish.

ptc
16th May 2007, 02:33 PM
Tony.
Zenwood stole my comment "Briliant design "
Next thought. How did he do that.
after trying to work it out. is the suspended draw a seperate piece.
but the same block.

Sculptured Box
16th May 2007, 05:08 PM
Tony.
Zenwood stole my comment "Briliant design "
Next thought. How did he do that.
after trying to work it out. is the suspended draw a seperate piece.
but the same block.

p.t.c.

does this image answer your question?

ptc
16th May 2007, 07:26 PM
Its cutting the draw body that's got me !

munruben
16th May 2007, 09:43 PM
Definitely WOW

Don Mc.
17th May 2007, 10:39 AM
This is really beautiful, it is also giving all a challenge. If I may ask, how many hours did you put into it, where do you get your cedar from.
Don Mc.

powderpost
22nd May 2007, 10:45 PM
An exceptional piece, exceptionally well done,
Jim

Sculptured Box
24th May 2007, 11:24 AM
This is really beautiful, it is also giving all a challenge. If I may ask, how many hours did you put into it, where do you get your cedar from.
Don Mc.

Thank you to everyone for your kind words. The making time? ~ including the thinkin/planning time, the making time and finishing probably 15 hours.

This time could be reduced if there was a method of reducing the fine finishing (sanding) time. Any and all suggestions will be gratefully received.