PDA

View Full Version : Table saw upgrade

poimen
5th August 2003, 12:04 AM
Hi! - My first post and I'm seeking some guidance please.

I want to upgrade my 10 year old Leda TSC-10LA contractor's type saw. Its standard fence is notoriously unreliable. Having never used a better quality saw my question is whether a simple fence upgrade to a Beisemeyer clone will suffice to give me a noticeable improvement in the saw’s performance to the point where it would not be an impediment to efforts of producing fine furniture? What kind of other noticeable improvements might I expect in upgrading to a cabinet saw such as the Carbatec TSC-10HB?

The relative costs of the two exercises would be about $400 for the fence only, or $1495 for the Carbatec saw (see http://svc010.bne011i.server-web.com/catalogue/carbatec2/cache/header-573public__0-0.html?cache=no ) less the price I could get for my present saw, say $700(?).

Your comment and advice is eagerly anticipated and sought.
Cheers.
:confused:

rev
6th August 2003, 10:53 AM
Hi Poimen,

Iv'e been lurking a while but now noticed that you're from my neck of the woods, so thought I'd finally take the plunge!

I reckon a good fence for a contractors would be a useful upgrade but the cabinet saw probably a waste of money- doubt if you'd notice any difference. I stand to be corrected if others have been down this route. But I aint speaking from experience- my trusty Triton does me!