PDA

View Full Version : Trying to stretch wood!

BernieP
16th May 2007, 09:28 PM
G'Day All

First pic is a bowl made out of Aussie Red Cedar appreciate comments.

Second,etc pic is a slab of camphor that I mounted on the lathe (scroll ring) then cut around the inner rim with parting tool on an 45deg angle towards the edge.
This then gave me an inner slab and a outer collar, the inner disc still with scroll ring attached.

By turning the outer ring over and mounting the inner disc on top of it with scroll ring down and glueing them together, you now end up with a blank twice the depth and the mounting point tucked away inside.

Mount to chuck and turn a base which is half shaped anyway.

Turn a mounting point in base to attach to chuck and sand and finish base.

Turn over remove scroll ring and turn inside bowl.

Finish bowl.

The point of this exercise is you have a bowl, dish or whatever twice the depth instead wasting a lot of wood.

Discoveries:-
As you will have a glue joint showing, could easily be segmented with a contrasting wood, design etc.

Don't use a patterned wood as I have would look better with a straighter wood.

Its such good fun turning with the chuck where you can't see it.

I would like to think this will lead to other ideas and suggestions and give a good point of discussion.

Sorry its so long winded!

Cheers
Bernie

thefixer
16th May 2007, 09:39 PM
G'day Bernie

Really like the cedar bowl and what a great idea to double the depth of a bowl but I agree a plainer grained timber would have looked better. I got some nice straight redgum here and may pinch that idea if you haven't copyrighted it yet:p

Cheers
Shorty

cedar n silky
16th May 2007, 10:28 PM
Hi Bernie. Nice work and nice idea. I have glued up chunks of cedar and silky (I wonder why!) and have got good results. i like your idea of sretching the use of a lump, and agreee that if you could have maybe a band in between, to break up the discontinuous grain, it would work better.:2tsup:

ss_11000
17th May 2007, 12:07 AM
very very interesting idea bernie:cool:i agree with you that the camphor isnt much suited to it ( unless it will match up ) but i think cedars idea of a contrasting band would work very well.

nice RC bowl to:2tsup:
cheers

rsser
17th May 2007, 07:15 PM
Another option for getting big bowls out of small pieces can be seen on the Woodworking Channel. Scott Phillips, irritating though he is, does a very interesting spiral bowl out of a mahogony square. Bascially cut the square into a spiral with about a 4 degree angle, on the bandsaw. Then punch out and glue.

Thanks for the pics Bernie. Good figure in both. I'd shrink the foot somewhat in the Red Cedar ... despite being a foot man ;-}