PDA

View Full Version : What should I do with these Jarrah floor?

Maggie2007
16th May 2007, 09:48 PM
I have a circa 1958 home with jarrah floor boards. As the floor boards were all under the carpet, they look pretty clean and smoothy, now we are renovating the house, and we wanna polish these floor boards,but we might knock down the current house and rebuild a new home in 5 years time. So does anybody know can we just clean up these floor boards and then polish directly? Or we have to use the sanding machine to sand them first?

Thanks a lot.

maggie

markharrison
16th May 2007, 11:42 PM
If you have the time and not the money, it isn't that hard to do yourself. Personally, I can't be bothered at the small amount it costs to get the job done professionally. If you're absolutely sure that you will knock down the house in five years, then maybe it isn't worth it. You could just try waxing the floors, though I would try this somewhere inconspicuous first.

The problem with future plans is that they are subject to much revision. My favourite Woody Allen joke: How do you make God laugh? Tell him your future plans!

BobL
16th May 2007, 11:45 PM
I have a circa 1958 home with jarrah floor boards. As the floor boards were all under the carpet, they look pretty clean and smoothy, now we are renovating the house, and we wanna polish these floor boards,but we might knock down the current house and rebuild a new home in 5 years time. So does anybody know can we just clean up these floor boards and then polish directly? Or we have to use the sanding machine to sand them first?

Thanks a lot.

maggie

If you just apply a polish direct onto the boards within months they will need it again, and again, and again etc. If you don't apply the polish they will look beat up, scratched and tatty. I'm old enough to remember when my mother applied polish to floor boards every week whether it needed it or not! If you can live with a the beat up look - no problem.

If you want a serviceable smooth good looking floor for 5 years, a professional sanding removes the dirt, oil, etc and then adding coat of something tough should last easily 5 years and look pretty nice all during that time. I recommend using a high gloss because within months it goes softer satin anyway. If you start with matt or satin with they will eventually look really flat and as though they never had anything put on them. You can do it yourself although floor sanders are something that should not be treated lightly. A friend of mine hired one and he ruined the floor in one room on his in about 15 minutes. I have done 2 rooms and our big front veranda which turned out OK but from now on I would just pay a professional (well at least someone whosays they are a professional) to do it.

When you compare a sand and seal to other floor coverings its a low cost CLEAN, servicable floor covering.

BTW 29 years ago we moved into our house with the same plan as you. We're still here and 13years ago we had all had the floors sanded and sealed and in most rooms they are still fine although in a couple of rooms like the kitchen and dining room they could do with a recoat.

Cheers

Maggie2007
16th May 2007, 11:58 PM
Thanks soooooo much, folks. I am going to get a quote from a professional tomorrow, see how much it costs by a professional first, if not too dear, maybe just let them do the job. See how it goes tomorrow.

Thanks again for your helpful replies.

Cheers.