PDA

View Full Version : Microwave drying

Sebastiaan56
17th May 2007, 05:23 PM
Has anyone actually had success with microwave drying? Im particularly interested in larger chunks as I have some access to a commercial microwave,

Sebastiaan

Kev Y.
17th May 2007, 06:39 PM
I have had a bit of success with the microwave, years ago I dried a lump of Norfolk Island pine, first I roughed the shape down to a wall thickness of about 25mm, then bunged it into the microwave - on defrost- for about 3 minutes, let it stand for 1 hour , and repeated this process about 3 times.

Finally I let the peice stand for a week then turned it to a thin wall, about 5mm. todate there is no warping and no cracking.

I have been told that the "formula" is 1 minute on medium for every 100g of mass.

I think the real secret is to approach the drying process slowly and let the piece stand before progressing further.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th May 2007, 07:43 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=188128&postcount=3

(OK. So, I'm lazy. Sue me. :p)

powderpost
17th May 2007, 11:03 PM
Used a microwave about five years ago. Found that wood over 25mm thick can produce internal cracking. Got into a bit of trouble at home, so I turn to about 20mm thick and store in a box of shavings. Found the microwave excellent for dispatching borers and their eggs though. Much better than chemicals.
Jim

Frank&Earnest
19th May 2007, 06:45 PM
Used a microwave about ten years ago. Went out to do something else. Wife asked whether she should take the wood out. I said "no, give it another 5 minutes" without adding "on defrost". Took the wood out myself when the smoke alarm went off.:D

soundman
21st May 2007, 10:40 PM
I've been drying small pieces pen blank size and bigger up to small bowls.

Lots of people seem to have problems.... I recon from being in too much of a hurry.

I'll give a picce 20 or 30 sec on high then let it sit for a while 10- 20- 30 min or more then hit it again.

I never let the timber get any more than quite warm.

It can take me up to a week to get something dry, but I havn't lost a piece yet.

you have to allow the moisture time to travel thru the wood structure.
If you go too hard the moisture will boil and bust the piece apart inside.

its wise to write the weight on the piece as you go, so you know how its going.

With bowls I stuff them with news paper and wrap them up in news print for most of the time to help equalise the moisture loss.

cheers

Sebastiaan56
22nd May 2007, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Im about to score a Red Gum and a Blue Spruce from neighbours yards and I dont really have storage room. I can put end sealer on some till my skills improve but two trees is a lot of timber,

Sebastiaan

soundman
22nd May 2007, 10:23 AM
Hmm.... enquiring about microwave drying..... and has two whole trees to do:D :D :D

I think the missus will get a bit cranky with that much timber lying arround in the kitchen.... and the 24/7... whurrrrrrrr..... BING of you cycling it thru the microwave:D

you;ll be just fine with some small ammounts.

cheers

Sebastiaan56
23rd May 2007, 11:29 AM
whrrrr....ping, whrrrr.... ping, whrrrrr...... ping, whrrrr....ping, whrrrr.... ping, whrrrrr...... ping,whrrrr....ping, whrrrr.... ping, whrrrrr...... ping,whrrrr....ping, whrrrr.... ping, whrrrrr...... ping,whrrrr....ping, whrrrr.... ping, whrrrrr...... ping,whrrrr....ping, whrrrr.... ping, whrrrrr...... ping,whrrrr....ping, whrrrr.... ping, whrrrrr...... ping, "WILL YOU GO TO BED NOW"!! etc, etc

Good point, but I'll just end seal the bits I cant instantly consume and proceed. As for the quantity, you guess correctly soundman but lets just see what it all looks like. The Blue Mountains is a termite prone area, there may be surprises yet,

Sebastiaan
(wondering if termites pop in the microwave?)