PDA

View Full Version : Collet extension

Packrat Pete
17th May 2007, 06:37 PM
Greetings all,
I have a couple of projects in mind that make me think that I will need a collet extension in the router to get a sufficient depth of cut. Are there any stability issues with these things that anyone is aware of? Do I need to reduce the speed for cutting? The two main things I have in mind are routered bowls and surface planing.

Cheers
Pete

scooter
17th May 2007, 08:10 PM
Gday Pete, shouldn't need to reduce the speed, the extension should be rated as suitable up to the max speed of your router.

I believe they can marginally magnify the tiny amount of runout of the router shaft, so if your router has a problem in this area it may exacerbate it.

How would you know? Just general age & condition of the router I guess, a better brand of tool in the first place should have better tolerances & less runout than a cheapy.

I guess if it was me & I had the need, I'd do the homework and get the extension that was considered a sound unit, and use it as I'd normally use the router; I'd just be more careful than usual not to take any really heavy cuts that would put significant duress on the router & extension.

Cheers.................Sean

dazzler
17th May 2007, 08:41 PM
Hey Pete

i have had a great run with the xtreme xtension collet. Not cheap, just good :2tsup:

Packrat Pete
18th May 2007, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I will get one and use it with all due caution.

cheers
Pete.

bsrlee
18th May 2007, 10:11 PM
The wobbly problem occurrs with cheap and/or wonky routers that don't have adequate support for the router' s shaft. Check your router to see if it has a reeeally long shaft just hanging out there in mid-air like some router that used to be sold here, or if it has the casing extended a bit with the bottom bearing as close to the collet as possible - it may be worth investing in that second router at the next wood show :U