PDA

View Full Version : any one had this problem before

George G
19th May 2007, 09:47 AM
Firstly I would like to say hi to everone, this is my first time. I have been lurking in the background for a while now. Because this forum is so informative untill now I have been able to find the information I needed so I would like to thank the people who run this forum and the people who cotribute. :2tsup:

Ok. Now Has any one seen this happen before? This is the pullie off my lathe.

It is cast aluminum, my first thought is poor casting or poor quality aloy
but as the replacement parts are going to cost about $80 to $90 I would like to make sure it wasn't something I did?

The lathe is a Dynalink variable speed woodlathe I think it is just another geniric asian import looks a lot like the mc900.

Any input would be apreciated thank you.

OGYT
19th May 2007, 10:17 AM
:welcomeani: Welcome to th' forum, GeorgeG. Sorry you're havin' the pulley problems.
Looks to me like mighty poor casting quality. Here in the upover, we call it Chinese pot metal.
Some others are a lot smarter 'n me, tho' so they may know more about it.

ptc
19th May 2007, 10:46 AM
Looks like a white ant had a go at.
Sorry i could no help saying that.
Ogyt summed it up.

George G
19th May 2007, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the replies. I just hope the replacement parts (if they every arrive )didn't come from the same batch.
You get what you pays for seems to be ringing in my ears.:doh:

GC
19th May 2007, 11:58 AM
yes, happened to my MC1100 a while ago.

Took carba-tec months to get the parts in after ordering wrong ones initially, from memory about $26, but all good now working a treat.

How much work as your MC900 done?

GC

George G
19th May 2007, 01:45 PM
yes, happened to my MC1100 a while ago.

Took carba-tec months to get the parts in after ordering wrong ones initially, from memory about $26, but all good now working a treat.

How much work as your MC900 done?

GC
Not a lot realy, It's my hobby not a full time thing this lathe is about 18 months old it has probably done at a guess 50 to 60 hours of work. I have not used it in about 4 months due to a work injury (broke a couple of bones in my right hand) last time I used it I lubed the shaft and it all looked ok, finaly got full movement back in my hand got all excited to get back to turning only to find the lathe was out of order.

hughie
19th May 2007, 01:46 PM
It is cast Aluminium, my first thought is poor casting or poor quality alloy
but as the replacement parts are going to cost about $80 to $90 I would like to make sure it wasn't something I did?

George,

Stuff me its been awhile since I have seen such total break down like you have. Either it lousy casting and or its had some severe heat at some time.

Where any of those hairline crack evident when you first got it?

I would having a chat to the supplier on that one. Have a look to see if there are any holes or bubble like cavities and or any cavities at all. If there are cavities are they empty or do they have some sort of hard black stuff. Sometimes at the end of a pour you can get dross or slag inclusions by trying to drag every last casting out of the pour.
http://www.efunda.com/processes/metal_processing/die_casting.cfm
http://www.kineticdiecasting.com/offshore.html

If you find any of this jump down the suppliers throat .

Other than that it could be temp problems during the pour.

hope this is some help

George G
19th May 2007, 01:55 PM
Stuff me its been awhile since I have seen such total break down like you have. Either it lousy casting and or its had some severe heat at some time.

Where any of those hairline crack evident when you first got it?

I would having a chat to the supplier on that one. Have a look to see if there are any holes or bubble like cavities and or any cavities at all. If there are cavities are they empty or do they have some sort of hard black stuff. Sometimes at the end of a pour you can get dross or slag inclusions by trying to drag every last casting out of the pour.

Yes there is some sign of cavities in it. As yet I have only spoken to the supplier on the phone a couple of times I have not been able to show him in person.

As to the original condition I have to be honest I didn't look that closely.