PDA

View Full Version : making a low wall

cx3
5th August 2003, 07:21 PM
Hi,

i am thinking of making a low wall about 4' x 1' x 4' (LBH) for a cosy corner.

the floor is tiled and i was thinking what material would be best and how to secure it to the floor without much drilling into the tile.
yet need it to be firm enough, in case someone lean on it.

i am a bit budget tight too.

do you think MDF board is a good option?

Please advise.

thankie :P

C

arose62
6th August 2003, 12:04 PM
Does it have to be a "wall", or could it be the back of a seating unit ? Ie: a wall with some cosy seats attached.

This would give it a much wider base, and thus less chance of tipping.

Simple
6th August 2003, 12:41 PM
I gather if you are building a cosy corner then your wall will have additional support other than just being fixed to the floor. If it is free standing, then this following idea probably will not be strong enough.

When I put up a divider wall in my garage I used Selleys Liquid Nails (high strength) to secure the bottom of the frame to the concrete (should also work on tiles) to prevent the bottom of the wall being kicked out.

I'm sure if I gave it a big enough kick then the bottom of the wall might come loose, but then walls aren't built for kicking. It certainly withstands people leaning on it and the door slamming against it.

Liquid Nails is a heavy duty multi-purpose building adhesive and a cheap alternative. My wall has been standing for over 12 months and the bottom of it hasn't moved.

Simon M.