PDA

View Full Version : My first hollow form

thefixer
19th May 2007, 11:43 PM
Actually a few firsts for me. First time for a hollow form that hasn't exploded on me :oo: . First time I've done something with a lid. First time I've done a finnial and first time back on the lathe since I got clouted on the scone by a UFO from the lathe:((
The bowl is a piece of jarrah that I rescued from a fire wood pile. Lid is oregon ( the only thing I could find at home that really had the contrast I was looking for) and the finnial is merbau that didn't quite do it for me so I stained it black. Personally I think the finnial is too big but SWMBO likes the way it is. Measures 150mm diameter and 200mm high. Sanded to 1200 and finished with s**t hot wax stix.
Crits welcome as always.

Cheers
Shorty

chrisb691
19th May 2007, 11:46 PM
Bloody nice job....well done.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th May 2007, 12:40 AM
I'd be happy with it. :)

The only (minor) critique I have is the finial... not the length so much as the "width." A disk or two instead of beads would've set it off very nicely, starting largish at the bottom and reducing in size towards the top, thus giving the eye a tapered outline to follow. So that instead of a radio tower it looked more like a pagoda...

Probably haven't explained that very well, but at least I know what I mean. :rolleyes:

thefixer
20th May 2007, 12:47 AM
I'd be happy with it. :)

The only (minor) critique I have is the finial... not the length so much as the "width." A disk or two instead of beads would've set it off very nicely, starting largish at the bottom and reducing in size towards the top, thus giving the eye a tapered outline to follow. So that instead of a radio tower it looked more like a pagoda...

Probably haven't explained that very well, but at least I know what I mean. :rolleyes:

I know exactly what u mean. Fortunately I fitted the finial with a very snug tenon and didn't glue it. So I will have look at other examples and make another one.

Cheers
Shorty

Stu in Tokyo
20th May 2007, 12:59 AM
Looks good!

I do think the finial is too busy, but that is just personal taste.

I've not much to say otherwise, as I've only completer two HFs myself :B

Cheers!

joe greiner
20th May 2007, 01:58 AM
I think it'd benefit with a slightly rounder curve at the equator, but I can like it either way.

The finial has a nice sharp point. Taper suggested by Skew would almost be achieved by a slightly smaller diameter at the uppermost "equator." That said, a very non-tapered finial can also work well. Consider the one on the Taj Mahal.

Joe

robynmau
22nd May 2007, 11:26 AM
Beautiful Shorty

I really like the filial :-

cheers

Robynmau

littlebuddha
25th May 2007, 11:50 AM
Hi the box looks good and the finial is okay, what comes of the lathe in one piece has to be good, the next one you do, you make better or you hope to, the bigest thing is getting the time in the more you do the better you get the more you remember to do something, im not big on planning just get and do. keep going hope to see more, could do with working on my finials as well.

www.shapewood.co.uk (http://www.shapewood.co.uk) Happy Turning guys

hughie
25th May 2007, 09:11 PM

Something thing like this Skew ?

Shades of Cindy Drozda or perhaps courtesy of. :U

Anyway a darn good effort :2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th May 2007, 10:58 PM
Aye, that's the ticket. :)