PDA

View Full Version : Are traders abusing the Trading Post?

John G
5th August 2003, 11:43 PM
I was looking at the Trading Post Online for the first time in ages today, and I couldn't help noticing how many stores were selling items (mainly Carbatec and The Tool Exchange).

At first I thought, OK, they're just getting rid of seconds and discontinued items, but now I'm not so sure.

Carbatec was advertising a 14" bandsaw. From the specs and the picture, it looks just like the BAS-350 model in their catalogue. Except the catalogue sells it for $735, and Trading Post has it for $789 !?!?

Does anyone have an experience of traders putting "dodgy" bargains in the trading post, or are these mostly honest clearance of seconds?

In my opinion, using the Trading Post to just advertise your normal stock is an abuse. Plus it triples the length of the trading post listing!

DaveInOz
6th August 2003, 10:22 AM
Without getting into the ethical issues of traders using the trading post as a form of advertisment ....
If you look on-line you can filter out traders listings , old adds etc.

Wood Borer
6th August 2003, 12:59 PM
John,

Ethics, morals, fairness, service and businessmen - which is the odd one out?

The only thing most businesses respect is $$$$$$$'s so if they upset you, get even by not spending $$$$$$$$$'s with them.

I have found some businesses that give good service and have ethics so I spend $$$$$$'s with them.

If more people did that then businesses might learn that nice = prosperity + return business.

- Wood Borer

BrianT
6th August 2003, 02:36 PM
Rather an interesting topic this 'ethics'.

Having been self employed since the mid 70's and worked as an employee and employer in the industrial wholesale field for many years, your are right, there are some pretty ordinary business out there BUT from very bitter and expensive experience, equally, there are some very ordinary 'members of the public' running amok. Bouncing cheques, p..ing off and not paying, shafting and dudding etc.

It's hardly worth chasing even a $10,000 debt these days - or even 20 yrs ago - because of the cost and and 'they' say they can only afford 50 cents a week - so they walk away.

Wood Borer, you are spot on about developing a good relationship with various traders - in the long run you will be far better off - good advice and usually the best prices.

We have all struck the abusive consumer from hell and we think the world is RS and then along comes the good guy ...:D

Just a few ramblings
Brian @ Burra

John G
6th August 2003, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the responses.
I didn't really want to talk about the ethics of various traders.

Rather, I was after advice from people who use the Trading Post more than I do about the experience they have had with trader ads.

I just wanted to know whether:
- I should pay attention to the trader ads, because in the vast majority of cases, people have found that these really are genuine bargains, or
- as DaveInOz says, I should filter trade ads out, because people have found that they are not genuine bargains.

BrianT
7th August 2003, 10:38 AM
Sorry for earlier digressing a little from your main point John but does it really it matter who places the adverts? If a trader is quoting different prices for the same product, your decision is easy.

It is still very much up to the individual to do their homework and be fully aware of current prices regardless of them buying new stuff or 2nd hand.

I have tried selling via the Trading Post (in SA) with zip result - not even a phone call but was succesful in using the daily paper classifieds. On these adverts. I received phone calls from the Trading Post offering their services.

For mine, not interested in the TP and will not use again either to buy or sell.

Cheers

Brian @ Burra :)

DaveInOz
7th August 2003, 11:04 AM
the only traders that I see as being better than the normal price is the clearing / auction houses, but all you normaly get is a vague list of items and an auction date. Still good bargains if you can get to the auction.
I have bought a few things through the TP (Vic) and am as happy as Larry (whom I have to assume is a VERY happy guy).