PDA

View Full Version : Best timber for workbench

andrewsd
20th May 2007, 05:33 PM
I want to build a second bench, more for assembly and planing long jobs than for fine work. I was thinking of using some sort of cheaper wood, rather than furniture grade wood. I'd be grateful for any recommendations for a dense, stable wood that would be cheap(er than furniture species) and suitable for the task.

thumbsucker
20th May 2007, 08:10 PM
Pine or KD hardwood (Vic Ash), or get cheap recycled timber.

I want to build a second bench, more for assembly and planing long jobs than for fine work. I was thinking of using some sort of cheaper wood, rather than furniture grade wood. I'd be grateful for any recommendations for a dense, stable wood that would be cheap(er than furniture species) and suitable for the task.

Cliff Rogers
20th May 2007, 08:18 PM
Pine braced with ply, to stop racking, if you want to move it around.
Recyled hardwood would be solid but heavier to move.

bitingmidge
20th May 2007, 08:24 PM
Pine braced with ply for the carcass, as Cliff suggests, but I'd go two 18mm thicknesses of MDF for the top.

Or one 30mm (or whatever it is they use for benchtops) layer.

Cheers,

P
:D

echnidna
20th May 2007, 08:55 PM
Pine is more than adequate for a genuine workbench to be worked on.

Other timbers are for show offs who want a furniture piece that they can call a workbench.

But I'd build one out of whatever I had around at the time.

Just George
20th May 2007, 09:10 PM
You've been told pretty much the same thing but not why.

As a workbench, you will at some stage cut into it with a saw, jigsaw

router and the like so you should try and make it out of something that

will last a while but most importantly is cheap.

andrewsd
21st May 2007, 12:39 AM
I thought pine might be a little prone to warping but it seems to have the general nod of approval.

gnu52
21st May 2007, 05:53 AM
How about halving a sheet of 18mm construction ply length ways & glueing & screwing the halves together for a top, loose fit mdf to that as a replaceable surface & then rebate some radiata & edge the whole thing.
Then using more ply build a box under with base & shelf space.
This has proven VERY solid and you can mount vises easily by fitting cleats under.
Only drawback is weight, bonus is cheap & easy to build & max storage which you can fit with drawers/doors at your leisure.
Regards, Bill

zenwood
21st May 2007, 10:52 AM
I did my second (planning, assembly, finishing) bench with a piece of inch thick plywood covered with a sheet of tempered masonite. Base was made from old hardwood lengths from a demolished shed (ozziejig joinery), with a lower shelf of particle board to hold jigs, etc). I'm very happy with it.

My primary and secondary benches are shown here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=31057&page=2).

silentC
21st May 2007, 11:04 AM
The best timber for a workbench is whatever you can find that is cheap, or even better free. Parts of mine are made from an old handrail (2x4 pine) and an old 4x4 hardwood post.

I was at the tip yesterday and there were heaps of old hardwood in all shapes and sizes. If I was to build another bench, that's where I would look first.

I want a bench, not a show pony!!

munruben
21st May 2007, 03:26 PM
Hi Andrew,

I built this cheap bench a few months ago just for assembly work etc and it works fine for me, The top is 3/4 inch particle board and the frame and legs are simply that cheap, non-construction pine that Bunnings sells for about $2-40 for a 2.4 meter length. I built it in a few hours. Its measurements are 1.8mX 0.9m

The first picture shows the bench. and the second picture shows the method I used to attach the legs to the frame.
The third picture is an old bench made in a similar fashion about 14 years ago and I have had no problems with this bench, although it is due for a new top now.

Cheap but effective. One day I am going to build me a real nice bench but in the meantime...

Cheers .. John

Wild Dingo
22nd May 2007, 01:42 AM
Benches are interesting things eh? almost as interesting as sheds in my book :2tsup:

Ive got two monster benches I whacked up when I first finished the shed and moved the tools in as the Tuart bench Id thrown together back in Mandurah a month after the trees came down looked sooo lonely out there... so grabbed up a bunch of 3x3 Tuart lengths and cut them for the legs then a couple more for the rails joined them together and whalla had me some "tressels" so I went out and gathered a couple of 6x1 Jarrah construction grade boards I had laying around and used the entire length to make the first bench... thus I ended up with a bench of 16ft x 28in x 29in high so I then wondered what to use for the top and as I had a few spare sheets of 1/2in ply lurking around cut them in half joined the two halves together with goop and nailed them down to the top of the thing... and so thought mmmm this could be goodoh! and so built anothery! :2tsup: so they go around one corner of the shed and the Tuart at the long end...

But this left me in a quandry for a work work bench... so I scouted around and found an old Post Office desk tore the top off the thing then the sides and was left with a steel frame... now I had some 1in ply laying around so I cut a couple of sheets joined the cut bits together and threw it on... Whallah!! this is where I do most of my assembly... trouble is I sorta forgot to screw the damned top down :doh: But thats okay cause when theres too much goop or chunks cut out on it I simply whack another section of 1/2in ply over it flip it over and go again... easy as and dead flat!

But see I think like sheds a bloke gets that way over time he feels an urge deep within the sawdust around his heart for one of them drop dread gorgeous made of the bestest timbers ubloodybeaut rip snorter last 30 lifetimes workbenches... and so it has come to pass that Im presently gluing up the sections for the 2 1/4 + 2 1/2in top... first 20in is 2 1/4in thick the back steps up to 2 1/2in dont ask me why I have no flamin idea just what I thought as I was cutting all the planks out :roll:

So far its taken 2 days to cut joint and thickness the boards down and the first glueup is done... today I cut the sections out of three more boards to make the steps for the square dogholes and glued them up to one section of planks... in this Ive glued the planks up in sections of 10 for back and 5 per section for the front... the end result will mean three runs of dogholes over the lower level of the bench... thanks to Ramps for this square doghole idea! cheers mate! :2tsup:

Tomorrow Im planing on gluing up the second run of cut out sections... gotta get more flamin C Clamps!! damnit! :~

Then I'll be sorting through the stacks for the legs probably from the 6x4 Kapur sitting there... and Im presently aiming for the Sepiature for the front back and side skirts

Im not sure yet what to use for the cupboard doors and shelves but well Ive got plenty of time to take making this one... need to score? three 3ft lengths of 1/2in - 3/8in threaded rod and nuts and some vice thingys... actually thinking about this vice issue this bench will have my FIRST ever vice!! so you blokes better give me some pointers eh?... Im considering Dereks idea of two single vices on each end of the front and he has an end vice that is simplicity itself that I intend to copy... on this point though years ago I saw an OLD work bench up north that had a length of 8in x 2in Jarrah from the top of the bench to the floor hinged at the base of the leg and a screw thing through the top Ive always thought that was a pretty nifty idea

Anyways!!... a bench should in the first second third and fourth instance be one capable of taking EVERYTHING you may possibly throw at it and more the top I think should be solid but able to be replaced or recovered cheep and easily... but the fifth bench... well the fifth bench should be named like a fine boat... and so this one Im building will be henceforth be known as WB DucksKnuts :2tsup:

Good luck with it mate!