PDA

View Full Version : I think my O/E is corrupted

jow104
20th May 2007, 07:01 PM
I think my outlook express is corrupted, I have to keep rebooting to get back to O/E when I have been surfing the web. It isn't happenning all the time but fairly frequently.

Done a virus check on computer and o/e that says ok

How do I reinstall or whatever O/E, I do have a windows xp/2 disk (OEM type)?

K_S
20th May 2007, 08:22 PM
I think it is part of windows and not available separately. The only way I have heard of to reinstall is to do a repair install. But then you will have to re load service packs and security updates. I've done it but it can be time consuming. Essential you read how to instructions as you do it

jow104
20th May 2007, 11:41 PM
Yeah I thought it was bad news, perhaps if I leave it alone for awhile it will go away! otherwise another three days of my life at the screen.

Perhaps I could change my mail default server to the virgin web mail? (at the moment blueyonder)?

K_S
21st May 2007, 07:45 PM
Consider downloading Mozilla Thunderbird (also recommend Firefox) as a stand alone email program. Have used it for years no probs.
Can import OE address book - separate from windows has to be good.

ptc
21st May 2007, 07:51 PM
mine is the same,
i think it's Microsoft

munruben
21st May 2007, 10:38 PM
Depends on which operating system you are using, here is how its done if you are running Windows XP Home or Professional.

<table class="list ol"><tbody><tr><td class="number">1.</td><td class="text">Remove Outlook Express 6.0 from Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional.<table class="list al"><tbody><tr><td class="number">a. </td><td class="text">Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl, and then click OK.</td></tr><tr><td class="number">b. </td><td class="text">In Add or Remove Programs, click Add/Remove Windows Components.</td></tr><tr><td class="number">c. </td><td class="text">In the Components list, click to clear the Outlook Express check box, and then click Next. Outlook Express will be removed from the computer.</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td class="number">2.</td><td class="text">Reinstall Outlook Express 6.0 on a computer that is running Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional.<table class="list al"><tbody><tr><td class="number">a. </td><td class="text">Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl, and then click OK.</td></tr><tr><td class="number">b. </td><td class="text">In Add or Remove Programs, click Add/Remove Windows Components.</td></tr><tr><td class="number">c. </td><td class="text">In the Components list, click to select the Outlook Express check box, and then click Next.</td></tr><tr><td class="number">d. </td><td class="text">After Outlook Express is installed, click Finish.</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>Or you could switch to another email client such as Incredimail. Its a free program and you can download it from here. its very user friendly
http://www.incredimail.com/english/download.asp
Hope this helps.

John

jow104
21st May 2007, 11:18 PM
Many thanks John.

I will give that a whiz.

jow104
22nd May 2007, 06:59 PM
Pleased to say my O/E is now working satisfactorly this morning, thanks.

Groggy
22nd May 2007, 07:07 PM
One for future reference: Look here (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/oerepair.mspx)