PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom mirrors - demister pad

tony2096
20th May 2007, 09:42 PM
Hi,

A couple of questions on bathroom mirrors.

1. I'm making two bathroom mirrors and am considering attaching electrical demister pads (eg http://www.hotwire.co.nz/mirror.htm) to the back - has anyone had experience of installing/using them? Some seem to run at 12V, needing a transformer, and some work at 240V. There will be a strip light above the mirror so it should be easy for the electrician to connect into the light circuit.

2. I've read enough on this forum to avoid attempting mitred corners so I plan to use butt joints (with biscuits) - 19mm Tassie Oak with a 6mm rebate routed along the edges to take the mirror. This will allow the glass to sit 6mm off the wall - plenty of room for the thin demister pad. What about fixing the mirror to the wall? I don't particularly want to just glue it to the plasterboard (villaboard?) since I assume it will be impossible to remove later without pulling half the wall with it. I'd also like to avoid putting screws through the fame. I was thinking about some sort of batten that I can screw to the studs and "hang" the mirror on it, but am not sure (a) how to make it secure and (b) how to avoid this pushing the mirror well off the wall - any ideas?

Tony

OBBob
21st May 2007, 08:28 AM
Key style holes like you see on oplastic backed mirrors and picture frames? Could do that with a router.

Tools
21st May 2007, 07:52 PM
I put a demister on a mirror I made a few years ago, and it is brilliant.Mine was a gift from pilkingtons to try it out.I also used metal keyholes to hang.

Tools

tony2096
21st May 2007, 11:38 PM
Keyholes - brilliant idea!
Found I had a keyhole bit in my router set and it works beautifully.
Thanks!