PDA

View Full Version : bench grinder as lathe????

Greg_stewy
21st May 2007, 03:44 PM
hi all,

I have lots of old "normal" (non-turning) chisels that need new handles, and I was wanting to turn the handles with peices of scrap I currently have at home that would look very nice.

I don't want to have to buy a lathe.

I was wondering if anyone has ever attached timber to the end of a bench grinder and used that as a lathe?

Greg

Dan
21st May 2007, 03:58 PM
I've heard of it being done with a Drill Press but not a grinder (bit too fast I'm thinking).

jmk89
21st May 2007, 04:05 PM
Yes - I think the Bench grinder would be too fast.

For $60 the vertical lathe accessory from McJing (http://www.mcjing.com.au/woodworking/index.htm) that you attach to your drill press is the way to go.

Dan
21st May 2007, 04:12 PM
Back when Derek tried the Drill Press thing (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=16399)he ended up buying a lathe for $69.

rsser
21st May 2007, 05:05 PM
A Gmc?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st May 2007, 05:19 PM
Buying a GMC lathe is like buying a bowsaw as a bandsaw substitute; it'll work and, with some ingenuity & a lot of effort, handle most of the tasks typically given to a "real" one.

If you get bitten by the turning bug, it'll be a constant source of frustration and an upgrade will definitely be in the offing. However, if you only ever want to do basic spindle turning (chisel handles, etc) then it's adequate... and will be a vast improvement over tweaking a bench grinder or drill press. :wink:

TTIT
21st May 2007, 05:25 PM
Ha!!! Snigger , snigger!:q Thats how I started out! '"Just a couple of handles" he says unknowingly!:B Tried the drill press - worked for small stuff but wanted that little bit more - washing machine motor - hmmmm - a bowl might be interesting - chinese lathe - ooooh if I could just - the STUBBY. You're doomed mate - I can see it in the tea-leaves!!!:;

rsser
21st May 2007, 05:41 PM
The slippery slide!!

Abandon hope all ye who enter here.

Well, hope of a bank account in the black in any case :C

Barry Hicks
21st May 2007, 06:05 PM
G'day Greg,
After many years of "making do", I am satisfied you can use anything to make just about anything.
I once used a 1/4hp motor with an aluminium pulley as a faceplate to make the base for a table lamp. My tool kit consisted of a 1" wood chisel.
Should you succeed with your project and plan to turn something else, I will bet you start looking for a cheap lathe.

Good luck Barry

rodent
22nd May 2007, 12:53 AM
:D:D:D:DDont Think We Didnt Warn Youfreddy.gif (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=46594&stc=1&d=1179755422)
NOW who started the merry go round:o

Dan
22nd May 2007, 01:15 AM
Given all the dire warnings, you might be better off using the Bob Smalser Latheless method (http://www.cianperez.com/Wood/WoodDocs/Wood_How_To/INDEX_How_To_pages/Smalser_on_Chisels.htm).:)

Gags_17
22nd May 2007, 06:39 PM
I have a gmc lathe got for $99 from good old bunnings Its a pretty good unit i havnt made much on mine a couple of baseball bats some coffe table legs (out of 4" cypress post nightmare) and a lamp all of which i did with 3 different sized straight chisels.There is a few complaints the supplied legs for it arnt very good unless bolted to the ground the base plate that holds on the tail stock snapped (my fault i think to tight) and the onoff switch sometimes wont work it will turn on but not stay on. other than that its pretty good.

joe greiner
22nd May 2007, 09:54 PM
Latheless method: Yup. Shaving horse (or vise/vice) and spokeshave would be the preferred darkside/Neanderthal technique. Also a lot quicker than jury-rigged contraptions or shopping and waiting for delivery of a lathe you don't seem to want anyway.

Joe

China
22nd May 2007, 10:26 PM
Just go out an d buy the best lathe you can afford, mucking around with a bench grinder, in the the end will just be waste of time and put you off turning forever

BobL
22nd May 2007, 11:09 PM
Most people see power tools as THE MOTOR and a few other bits an pieces - so they worry about the motor and little or nothing about the bits and pieces.

What you pay for when you buy a lathe is about 20% for the motor and 80% for a way to hold the work safely and in the correct position for the turning to take place. This is basically the accurate alignment of the rotation vector with the line between the turning centres. If this is not so, all hell breaks loose at around 500 rpm let alone the 3000 rpm of a bench grinder.

Most wood lathes seem to max out at 2000 rpm although some minis will go to 3000 rpm.

Can it be done, no doubt, I might even have a go myself someday - , just make sure you have a very strong face shield and a bullet proof vest. I'm just stauing away from getting my own lathe for as long as I can - having access to two at work and absolutely no more room in the shed helps.

hughie
22nd May 2007, 11:25 PM
Deja Vu for many of us.............:U