PDA

View Full Version : Want to nickel electroplate old drill chuck

woodhog
22nd May 2007, 02:32 AM
Hi
I happy to see metalwork added to woodwork forums we will all greatly benefit from metalworking knowledge.
I have some older manual woodworking drills & tools that are covered in rust sometimes oil which leaves nice rust stains on hands, clothes & my wooden project parts which is not good.
I have used degreaser & often times cheap foaming oven cleaner which removes grease & small amounts of rust. Then dry with a hot air tool.
Wire wheel & black buffing compound dont seem to be shining the metal as much as I would like.
I've scraped off old paint then re-painted using oil base rust paint for the drill crank & drill body.
Getting the gears & chuck clean is a different story.
I dont know much about nickel electroplating or where to start.
Will a layer of nickel plating interfere with the functioning of the chuck?

simso
22nd May 2007, 11:26 PM
No, nickel plating will not interfere in any way whatsoever, you will be lucky if you can get a .0005 thou build up. Nickel works as a protective finish. The best thing however for steel parts is to nickel strike and then cadmium plate them, because it works as a sacraficial coating to the metal, this means that if you get a small spot thats removed or worn through then it still wont rust. You can get up to .003 thou build depending on how much plating and amperage you use.