PDA

View Full Version : Jamb Saw, any info?

billbeee
22nd May 2007, 01:16 PM
I believe they are used in the US by floor tilers etc. for cutting around the base of timber door jambs, skirtings etc.
They can even cut the bottom edge of doors in place.

Is this right, anybody used one, what makes, any good?

Regards
Bill

Honorary Bloke
22nd May 2007, 09:06 PM
Crain make the most popular ones over here. I have one and it works very well, though throws a lot of chips. Makes undercutting jambs quick and easy. Check out E-Bay, search for Crain saws or jamb saws or undercut saws.

Fein's Multimaster is also said to have an undercutting attachment but I have not tried that one so don't know how well it works. Perhaps someone else has.

echnidna
22nd May 2007, 09:27 PM
Thought I'd have a sticky at what they are.

Hmm , I've got 1 in my shed

Bought it from Carbatec as a flush dowel cutting saw years ago

soundman
22nd May 2007, 11:04 PM
Yep and yep.
the dowel saw as mentioned should do the job if you want a low cost option, and the fein multimaster most certainly does have an attachment to do the job.... but at a very much higher cost.

In fact the multimaster will do the job in about 3 or 4 different ways depending on the situation you have.

cheers

ian
22nd May 2007, 11:16 PM
There's always the good old biscuit jointer!

rat52
23rd May 2007, 02:49 PM
Don't you just love it when some lazy sod leaves the staples/brads in the bottom of the door or skew nails the ave/skirting to the floor. Skreeeeeeeeech!!!

billbeee
24th May 2007, 08:43 AM
Thanks guys,
I tracked down what I want from Bob's tip on Crane Saws. I will look out for a Crane or Roberts jamb saw.

I had a good long look at my biscuit joiner, but I reckon I need a larger blade to do what I want Ian.

I want something with a bit of punch to it. The Fein's Multimaster etc type things might be OK, for a small job.

rat52 hit the nail on the head (ha,ha,). I want to be able to bore it up it and cut through all the nails and crap.

Regards
Bill

Honorary Bloke
24th May 2007, 08:48 AM
You won't be sorry. For a flooring job I cut the first two jambs by hand and decided that game wasn't on the board. :oo: I have the Supersaw and it cuts a jamb in about 30 seconds, including set up time. :D :D