PDA

View Full Version : Whaddyathink?

rsser
23rd May 2007, 05:48 PM
Just to respond to another thread with a suggested turners' get together ..

I'm wondering whether folks mightn't like to come to another one day turning event. (Takes deep breath) ... maybe something like Bernie Kiyabu's annual days.

The guts of it: a big lump of interesting wood is put on the lathe and everybody gets a go turning. There's a raffle and the winner gets to take the result home. Barbie plus beer plus b*llshit. If the numbers are OK, wood and gear suppliers are asked if they'd like to demo and/or hawk their wares.

I'd be happy to host and the Stubby could get a good workout. My preference is to raise funds for the Salvo's or Red Cross so I'd be asking for a donation of the timber or a serious discount.

What do you think?

RETIRED
23rd May 2007, 06:17 PM
Thought it might work better in its own thread Ern.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd May 2007, 07:55 PM
I like the idea, but reckon it'll take a bit of organising... ie. I'm all for it so long as I'm not co-opted for behind-the-scenes work. :wink::D

Gra
23rd May 2007, 08:03 PM
im with him:aro-u:

scooter
23rd May 2007, 09:24 PM
Sounds good, time & date permitting :)

Cheers..............Sean

DJ’s Timber
23rd May 2007, 09:35 PM
Hah, Day at Bernies as we use to call it. Was a good time had by all usually.

I'll be in it for sure, heck I might even be able to scrounge up a nice beefy piece of Redgum or Yellowbox to really put your Stubby through a real workout :wink:

Cliff Rogers
23rd May 2007, 09:40 PM
I'll find a way to get there if Skew & Gra have to do all the work. :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd May 2007, 09:44 PM
DJ'd be working harder... trying to keep an eye on both me and his "nice beefy piece of Redgum or Yellowbox" and make sure we're never in the same spot at the same time. :innocent::fisch:

DJ’s Timber
23rd May 2007, 10:30 PM
Better make sure it's a real BIG beefy bit then :o, then you'll need at least 2 of you to move it :wlift2:

Twinnie
23rd May 2007, 10:38 PM
sound like a good idea, but i can see a few problems in terms on location, unless we put in in the alice then it'll be the same distance for every one...

but seriously turning is dangerus at the best of times so i'd take beer out of the equasion.

i'd probly be able to make northen vic but i don't know about melbourne.

Matt

Cliff Rogers
23rd May 2007, 11:06 PM
I think it is a 'given' that the beer is for the spectators & the barby afterwards. :wink:

Gil Jones
24th May 2007, 02:46 AM
Ern,
I think I would like to attend, but it is such a long drive...

OGYT
24th May 2007, 08:56 AM
I'm all for it!
However, like Gil, the drive would be a mite long... and wet, too.
Most fun I've ever had was at one of these in April 2005? in Georgia, USA.
You Blokes oughta go for it! Turner's Gathering can't be beat. Learn a lot, have a lot, help a lot...

ptc
24th May 2007, 05:41 PM
Ern
move it to stanley !

ticklingmedusa
24th May 2007, 07:05 PM
I'd be inclined too if the drive wasn't such a bugger.
I like the idea.
tm

rsser
24th May 2007, 07:36 PM
Heh heh.

Well we'll have to think of a sobriety test to deal with the mixing of turning and slurping .... like 'turn a fine bead with a skew on this irregular lump of DJ's timber'.

rsser
25th May 2007, 06:06 PM
Update: 2 offers of a big lump to turn. Many thanks guys. And Skew has kindly agreed to be 'lathe meister' for the day, and to help organise.

Next question ... when?

Thinking first or second weekend in July. A one-day event.

Sat. or Sun.?

hughie
25th May 2007, 08:58 PM
Well we'll have to think of a sobriety test to deal with the mixing of turning and slurping .... like 'turn a fine bead with a skew on this irregular lump of DJ's timber'

or perhaps a trembler.................:U

unfortunately as much as would like to turn up. I will have to wait for the next one. :no:

rsser
25th May 2007, 10:13 PM
Would be great to see you in the flesh as they say Neil.

As for trembler ... ahem, as in 'knee ...' or as in 'trembleur'?

No need to reply ;-}

scooter
25th May 2007, 10:47 PM
Ern, I vote Sunday, for purely selfish reasons :)

Cheers................Sean

Calm
26th May 2007, 12:43 AM
As a newbee and presently frustrated from my lathe in storage any chance to learn and see those referred to as "legends" would be a great day any weekend.

rsser
29th May 2007, 03:57 PM
Skew, and DJ ... looks like you're on notice ;-}

Cliff Rogers
29th May 2007, 08:33 PM
Any ideas when it might happen yet?

I'm trying to find something work related like a training course of something. :p

Waldo
29th May 2007, 08:53 PM
G'day,

I'm up for it. My skills are well this big so I'll hold the can. :D

I'll be there if it's a Saturday. That'll mean Waldo in the blue corner and Scooter in the red. :boxing: :U

rsser
29th May 2007, 08:58 PM
Cool Cliff.

Got a friend who I think is an RTO. What's your development plan? :roll:

rsser
29th May 2007, 09:05 PM
Waldo, we can set up two turning spaces so don't sweat!

... I'll look at the diary soon and post a poll.

Sunday's sound good for me. Give me a chance to play off the market sausage sellers for the best deal on wooddust snags.

DJ’s Timber
29th May 2007, 09:58 PM
Hey Ern, been cutting up the Redgum log (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=38818) that I collected last year today, so have now got some bits that can be used for the day :2tsup:, plus I am going up to the farm tomorrow and will cut some other bits as well.

rsser
29th May 2007, 10:06 PM
Sweet, DJ. You're a gem.

So will we have something big enough to pitch the punters through the roof if they get a dig?

(Oops, should've pm'd that one).

DJ’s Timber
29th May 2007, 10:12 PM
Ern, what size spindle do you have on the Stubby, might rough turn some blanks ready for to get stuck straight into

rsser
30th May 2007, 09:10 AM
That's an idea.

30 x 3.5

DJ’s Timber
30th May 2007, 09:29 PM
Well I have been up bush today picking up a few things and collected a few small Yellow-box pieces from the farm.

All up I got 3 pieces and have put the chainsaw in front of them to give you an idea of size, the bar on the CS is 20" long. Also a couple of close ups.

47173 47174 47175

This last one is the tree that the bits come from, they are from a branch that broke off about 6 years ago.

Thanks Ern, same size as mine :2tsup:, I will rough out some of these bits to save time on the day :;.

RETIRED
31st May 2007, 08:21 AM
Didnt know we were doing miniatures.:rolleyes: :p

rsser
31st May 2007, 09:36 AM
:D :D

Nice one DJ.

TTIT
31st May 2007, 04:42 PM
............This last one is the tree that the bits come from, they are from a branch that broke off about 6 years ago.........That last pic ALMOST makes me homesick for the Goulburn Valley - but NOT that much!:; :shrug:

Cliff Rogers
31st May 2007, 07:18 PM
Didnt know we were doing miniatures.:rolleyes: :p
Are you bring your lathe? :?
If not, it will have to be just small stuff. :D

rsser
9th June 2007, 08:26 AM
Thread continued at http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=50631

DJ’s Timber
9th June 2007, 06:39 PM
Being cutting up the redgum slabs that I cut the other week shown here at post #26 (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=38818&page=2) and it looks like we can have a choice of either Redgum or Yellowbox or even both.

These blocks are about 380mm² x about 80mm thick.

Might even bring some of this smaller stuff to throw on a smaller lathe.

I should be cutting the 100mm thick slabs up tomorrow, so might even have something a bit bigger :2tsup:

rsser
9th June 2007, 06:48 PM
Looks good DJ.

If we can let's shoot for something interesting and stable that peeps will buy raffle tickets for. And remember we have 500mm swing :o

Calm has kindly offered a euc. burl which we may be able to mount on the portable lathe.