PDA

View Full Version : Attaching Cornice advise required

ajax
7th August 2003, 09:25 AM
Hi,

I need to put back the piece of cornice (about 1600 mm long) as last thing of our kitchen renov. I have read some posts on this site, but not sure how to go about it.

If the cornice cement is powder, what consistency shoud be used ? Toothpaste , playdough ? Alternatively could Selleys "AllFix" be used. They recommend atleast one surface must be porous and works like contact cement if both are porous.

Your advise much appreciated.

cheers

arose62
7th August 2003, 01:49 PM
Consistency like toothpaste worked for me.

And, if you want a smooth, quick, professional job, with minimal sanding, pull up a stool, and listen to Uncle Andrew....

The secret tools you need are:
a cup
a paintbrush

After having set the cornice in place, and before the cornice cement is totally dry, put some water in the cup, dip the paintbrush in the water, and use the paintbrush to smooth the finish of the cornice cement. Don't try to saturate it, just brush the joints smooth.

Got this tip from my brother-in-law, who wrestled with (and swore at) cornice when trying to do his lounge room. After admitting defeat, he paid a professional, and watched closely !!

Our place has woodpanelling for the ceiling (!!), so the cornice cement wouldn't hold. The cornice went up with No More Nails on the top edge, and cornice cement on the bottom edge. Hasn't moved yet.

If you're cutting the stuff to go around corners, the coupla-dollars red plastic gauge thingy is a wonder. Just allow some time to work out how to use it. I did some test cuts, and when I had pieces that made the join I wanted, I labelled them, and used them to work out the orientation of the red plastic thingy.

Cheers,
Andrew

ajax
7th August 2003, 03:10 PM
Andrew,

Thanks for the reply. With toothpaste consistency, I will have to hold it there for a while -- that is where the problem lies. It is in an awkward position above some cabinets. The working gap is mere 9-11 inches. Can the cornice be screwed to studs while the cement dries, just to hold it as nailing is probably going to be impossible in that gap. Will the drilling and screwing ruin the cornice ? Thats my last piece and they stopped making that pattern 15 years ago. Can I use the selleys "AllFix" ?

Chesand
7th August 2003, 09:55 PM
I watched plasterers on our extension and they put 2 or 3 nails in the plasterboard to hold the cornice up in position then when the adhesive had gripped properly pulled the nails out and the holes were filled when they cleaned up the adhesive. I have used this
on a short length and it worked for me
Hope this might help you

journeyman Mick
7th August 2003, 11:23 PM
If you're worried about putting holes in the cornice you can prop it up by putting a few nails or screws up to a line first and sitting the cornice on these. This is advisable anyway if you are putting up a longish length by yourself. Basically the suction of the cornice cement should hold it up while it goes off. Like Andrew said, if you have a dissimilar surface you can't use the cornice cement as it will eventually crack loose. It is also quite permissible to drive screws or nails through the cornice to hold it in place while the mud sets. If, however you have a fibrous plaster cornice it's not advisable to nail or screw it as you may crack it.

Mick

coastie
8th August 2003, 08:06 AM
Have a look at this site:
http://www.gyprock.com.au./technical/diy.asp

ajax
8th August 2003, 12:38 PM
Coastie, Mick, Tom

Thanks for the replies.

It went up last night. I put supporting nails (without wrecking the cornice) underneath and some nails through as well. Through nails which wont come out, will go in all the way. I used cornice cement quite little thicker than toothpaste consistency.

Andrew I used the cuppa water n paintbrush to smooth it out.

Will sand it tonight (and find out if it still holds)... good luck to me ;)

cheers