PDA

View Full Version : Wood for nomi handles

derekcohen
25th May 2007, 11:33 AM
What is the significance, if any, of the various woods traditionally used for chisel handles?

Boxwood, white oak, red oak, ebony ...

Of course, I expect that, for the most part, these are chosen for availability or stability and that, therefore, some will be more valuable/desirable than others. But is there a Traditional element here as well?

One of the reasons I ask is that I am considering making handles for some of my paring chisels. Some have handles that are a little shorter and a touch thicker than I like. I also have some wonderfully light and thin bachi nomi with striking handles that I would like to convert to push/paring handles.

My existing handles are a mix of red and white oak. I like the look of ebony or a dark wood like Jarrah.

Of course, I can do what I like to my tools, but is this frowned on by traditionalists?

Regards from Perth

Derek

soatoz
25th May 2007, 06:34 PM
Hi Derek,

I think you will basically find your answers to your questions in below pages.

http://www.geocities.com/soatoz/tech_knlg/nomi/On_Handle_Material.html

http://www.geocities.com/soatoz/nomi/Handle_Making/Handle_Making.html

Cheers,

derekcohen
26th May 2007, 03:11 AM
Hi So

Many thanks for those links. That basically answers all. Great articles!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Groggy
26th May 2007, 12:08 PM
Great articles, very well written and photographed So! :2tsup:

soatoz
26th May 2007, 12:48 PM
Hi So

Many thanks for those links. That basically answers all. Great articles!

Regards from Perth

Derek

If there's anything more you'd like to ask feel free:)

As you can see as long as it works, anything is okay. Even if it doesn't work as well, if the material you are using has special meaning to you, then I'll say that's fine, or even better. One person contacted me if I know any place he can get a wood that's suited for the handle material, and I told him I experiment with various local woods I can get from native timbers (stroll in the forest), and also about the quince handle I made, and he replied,,,,

==
As for the walk in the forest... I love the idea, but I live in Brooklyn
and I don't think the rangers would take to kindly to me sampling the
local hardwoods from the park. No worries though, as I'm doing some
renovations in my apartment and tore out a banister that I think is oak.
With a little work I'm betting that it can be re-purposed as a set of new
handles.
==

My reply.

==
Oh~~~~~~, there you go. That would be a perfect material in every sense.

First of all, very dry.
Secondly, lot's of memories.
Thirdly, if it's a hard oak, oak is one of the best material for chisel handles.
==

Japanese used to use variety of native woods for tool handles, like yama-zakura (wild cherry blossom), kaki (persimon), karin (quince), etc. but since most of the mountains that used to have these prized trees were converted into cedar plantation after the war, so they are all gone. And now that imported cedars are much cheaper, the cedar plantaion in Japan has been abandoned, causing nothing but serious hay fever...

Japan is a chaos of old tradition and modern plastic disposable culture.

Anyway, when you are done with your handle making make sure you post the photo and show it to us:wink:

Schtoo
26th May 2007, 02:57 PM
What So said.

I usually use whatever I have kicking about or can get without too much trouble, for example...

I have a left and right skew set. The blades were for the 100 yen shop, as was the handle wood. The handles are Chinese made, and were shaped and then heat treated by moi, the handles turned from a single piece of the cheapo Chinese wood. No tradition, but I got a pair of chisels that work very well, look good and cost $3 and a couple hours of slack time.

I made a picksticker mortise chisel, 1/8" wide. The blade was made from a new piece of O1, as was the bolster, the handle from an ancient hammer handle, which is Japanese white oak. Again, looks good, works even better and cost less than a dollar. Also recycled something that does have some sentimental value.

I recently made a very long paring/planing chisel. Blade from the 100 yen shop, the handle was a rolling pin from the same place (is a pattern forming here?). End result is a chisel about 400mm long, slightly cranked and is a 'go to' tool for all manner of paring where I need control or can't easily reach with anything else. Like the back of a finished case that needs some trimming.

The thing is that American oaks and Japanese oaks are different creatures. The Japanese stuff is more close grained and seems to be tougher and less prone to splitting. Hence the value in tools that are going to be given a hard time.

Oh yeah, I have used mountian Cherry, persimmon and quince. All are nice in their own way. The quince is nice stuff, turnes fairly well and is seriously hard. Read that as brittle, especially in thin section. The persimmon is, to me at least, like zerba striped ebony. The mountain cherry bear resemblance to American cherry in name only, Japanese being very hard, tough, heavy and coarse. American medium hard, not so tough, not so heavy and very smooth.

I'd make them out of Jarrah in your neck of the woods, since it's local and suitable. Ebony might be a little brittle, unless the tools are not meant to be struck.

FWIW, I have recently seen plane bodies on Yahoo auctions in almost every species you can think of, and no-one seems to be kicking up much of a fuss. Kinda interested in an ebony body just for the heck of it, but then I'd need a blade which might be difficult to come by around these parts... :rolleyes:

Scribbly Gum
30th May 2007, 09:35 PM
Hi Derek,

I think you will basically find your answers to your questions in below pages.

http://www.geocities.com/soatoz/tech_knlg/nomi/On_Handle_Material.html

http://www.geocities.com/soatoz/nomi/Handle_Making/Handle_Making.html

Cheers,

Greetings So,
may I compliment you on your excellent photo-essay on the making of a chisel handle.
This is beautifully written and explained. One of the most significant inclusions to the essay was the timeline - day 1.....day 2 etc.
With your permission I would like to show this to our senior students at my school.
It is a wonderful example of a clear and concise procedure, expertly illustrated.
I loved the picture of the chisel on your hand leading into the setting (rising?) sun.
Your respect for your tools is inspirational.

Kind regards
SG:roll::roll::roll: