PDA

View Full Version : Turning from a wheelchair

macca2
25th May 2007, 10:15 PM
Since I have become dependent on a wheelchair I have been trying out various ways of positioning my lathe.

This is a picture of my lathe that I have mounted on a home made bench with the rear higher than the front. This brings the tool rest to a more comfortable position.

I am interested in finding out all I can from people who have had this predicament and have come up with ways to make turning from a wheelchair more comfortable.

The second pic is of my grinder that is mounted just to the left of the lathe

Any and all ideas would be great.

Thanks
Macca

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th May 2007, 11:10 PM
Good idea on tilting it like that. I imagine this is because the bed is higher than normal (in relation to your body) to give you clearance in your lap for the chisels? That's what we found with my old man, anyway.

No practical suggestions from me, I'm afraid... just curiosity. :wink: We had more problems with the fact that he was one-handed than that he was in a wheelchair, so my ideas probably wouldn't apply to you. :shrug:

Jigger
25th May 2007, 11:59 PM
Can you explain your limitations and difficulties you have. Are you able to use your feet to move a rail mounted lathe.

OGYT
26th May 2007, 05:05 AM
I've a friend who turns from a wheelchair. He's also a member of this forum, but probably at work right now. Maybe he'll have some info to add a little later. As Jigger said, it would be better to know your limitations, besides sitting down, in order to give you some more useful info.

ticklingmedusa
26th May 2007, 09:07 AM
Hey Macca,
Thats a very interesting adaptation you have devised there.
I'm thinking I can learn a few things from you as well.
I'm the woodturning wheelie that my mate OGYT is referring to.
I turned last night until the wee hours and overslept.
I need to haul carcass and get to the job before they fire me.
I'll respond later or you can email me at [email protected]
Yawn,
tm aka John

macca2
26th May 2007, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the replies. As to my limitations, I have developed a spinal cord problem that effects me from the waist down,and have little use of my legs.
I can stand to get in and out of the wheelchair etc, but cannot use them to any degree.
It is difficult to do the turners hip swaying thing in a chair.
I pretty much do every thing with my hands, arms and shoulders, so a rail mounted lathe would not be an option.
The tilting of the lathe certainly improves the angle of attack without lowering the lathe down so far could not get my knees under the bench.
It has certainly been a steep learning curve since Nov 2006.
Getting into a wheelchair, surrendering my drivers licence, sitting for a modified vehicle drivers licence, buying a new vehicle, modifying the vehicle to hand controls, modifying the the garage roof to accommodate car roof mounted wheelchair hoist.
But eh, life is good when you have a shed and a lathe and a forum full of good advice.
And of course SWMBO

Thanks again for your interest
Macca

Cliff Rogers
26th May 2007, 01:03 PM
Good on ya Macca for giving it a go. :2tsup:

I don't have any personal experience to offer but just a thought, is it possible to come up with some way of raising the back of your chair a bit once you are at the lathe?
A jack, hydraulic, lever or pulley operation on a platform?
You could stop the chair from rolling forward by having chocks at the right position.
I guess you couldn't tilt it too far 'cos if you don't have any use of your legs then you wouldn't be able to hold yourself in the chair without a seatbelt.

Like tilting the lathe towards you a bit, why not tilt you towards the lathe a bit?

It would help to get your knees under the bench.

Just another idea to think about.

bitingmidge
26th May 2007, 02:42 PM
It is difficult to do the turners hip swaying thing in a chair.
I'm wondering if a stool with a swivelling seat would help, if you are able to access it, and get it at the right level?

P

rsser
26th May 2007, 03:56 PM
CNC controlled seat on rails?

bookend
26th May 2007, 04:34 PM
I don't know how practical this idea is, but it seems to me that one of the most difficult things to do in a wheelchair would be to move sideways.

Perhaps a bench seat frame with a sliding seat running on a couple of bars or tracks could work. See if you can sabotage someones old rowing machine for parts.

With more money, possibly a threaded bar could be incorporated, which runs off a small motor, that you could use to power the seat sideways at a not impossibly fast rate. It would allow you to keep a constant distance and angle going as you work.

An alternative to the bar could be a small to large pulley arrangement or a built in speed adjuster at the motor that could wind the seat back and forth in a similar way to the way we pull curtains back and forth on their cords. Obviously, a reverse gear would be a must.

I hope this is not too stupid and or expensive.

cedar n silky
26th May 2007, 05:17 PM
Hi Macca.
I know Vicmarc have a model (VL 175) that they designed fordisabled use (perhaps the base). They may give you some advice? Do a search for Vicmarc, and take it from there.
Cheers:)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th May 2007, 05:26 PM
A powered seat slide? :oo: No offence, but I think that'd be overkill and totally ineffective. How well do you think you'd turn if you stood on a skateboard and relied on someone else to move you from side to side? [shudder]

My ol' man simply set his 'chair at a 45° angle to the lathe. For three reasons: It's almost impossible to get your knees under the lathe bench when all's set to a correct and comfortable working height. He could sway back'n'forth in the chair to approximate the hip thing. Something we all do (or should) but seem to have forgotten about: it set him off to one side of the piece, so that in case of UFO he wasn't in the line of fire!

Admittedly he was only using a small Leda midi lathe, with a 600mm bed, so it's not like there was a lot of sideways distance to travel. But even if 'twas a long bed, it's not that hard to reposition the 'chair every time the toolrest gets moved along... there's no "race" involved, after all. :wink:

macca2
26th May 2007, 07:01 PM
Yeah Midge, I have spent the last 5 years turning from a stool but now find I need the extra support of a wheelchair.
As you say Skew, I too have my chair at approx 45 degrees to the
lathe,faceing towards the tail stock. This seems to work pretty well and I move the chair as required.
My lathe is only a Woodfast 280S with a 450mm bed.

Thanks for all the ideas, keep 'em coming

Macca

ticklingmedusa
26th May 2007, 08:18 PM
Heya.
I've been in a chair since 78 and been turning that way for about 4 years,
judging by your setup you've been turning longer than me.
The tracking seat idea from above is an interesting one that never occured to me. I have a 12 volt tracking seat in the van i drive.
Its a 6 way adjustable , up & down, swivels left & right and forward & backward.
For turning I think it is a bit overkill & expensive at between 1000 to 2000 seppo dollars. (no offense to the person who posted it) You can do the same thing by raising or lowering the lathe bed like you have and changing positions in your chair.
You just learn to not work beyond your reach.
The other advantage to staying in your chair is measured in time...
what if swmbo calls on the phone, you need to change to a finer grit
or the dog needs to be let out?
Not only that it could take months to assemble components and build,
I'd rather be spinning wood.

I find that having my tires inflated properly ( 100 psi, no idea what that converts to in kg/ ) theyre rock hard and my brake really grabs when its set...
Very important when youre power cutting not to have your stable pony
start to move away.
While I'm thinking of it insist on the very best wheelchair you can get.
Problems with comfort, stability and balance dont only affect the quality
of your work but your safety and duration of turning sessions as well.
If nothing interrupts me I can work at least 8 hours at the toolrest.

Another thought on angle and position...
Floor mats or a bevel cut sheet of plywood under you or perhaps just
your front casters can alter
how you will present the tool to the work as well as remedy or
create neck & shoulder problems .
Beveled foam seat and back cushions for your chair can also help.
A physical therapist should be able to help if you explain what you
have trouble with or are trying to do.

I have a Nova DVR XP and a Craftsman variable speed, built benches for both of them with spindle height and knee clearance in mind.
I like being able to prop my left elbow on the bench and tuck the right
one in close for the side to side leaning motion or prop it too
on ways, bench, banjo or even tailstock depending on what im doing.
When im in close to the headstock ( at the foot of a faceplated bowl for
example ) I lean forward and push my left shoulder against the front
of the lathe headstock area. Whatever type of work youre doing
again, being balanced and stable is very important.
Most of my worst catches and exploded workpieces have been caused
by loss of balance.
As the Skew says remember to stay out of the line of fire.

Now that your head and air intake manifolds are much closer to the workpiece, always wearing a faceshield is a must and avoiding dust becomes even more important.
I'm using a Trend Airshield and dust extractor and I'm working on a box fan
setup behind me to push away even more.

One of my minor problems is being covered in woodchips and dust.
I wear double aprons and tape my sleeves closed.
The chair just seems to be a magnet for particles.
A small price to pay for such a rewarding way to spend my time.
I just bought a small compressor to blow off with , that should help.

I'm pretty sure that my level of spinal injury is different than yours
and I know that because of that we function at different levels
and that equates to what might work well for me may not work for you.
Its a learning process and just the fact that youre here seeking advice
from your fellow woodies indicates you are headed in the right direction.
On your grinder...
do you approach it straight on or work to the side?
Keep turning and stay safe.
Email me anytime,
tm

WillyInBris
26th May 2007, 08:21 PM
Hi Macca,

Some time ago on the woodworking channel I saw a video of a Japanese guy at one of the symposiums Turning that may be of some interest to you.

Anyway did a search found this info so far from a forum the guy saw the same video that I did, I am thinking the way they turn maybe easer for you.

I stole this from another forum but I don't think they will mind.

I saw a video on Woodworkingchannel.com that was from the 2005 AAW Symposium featuring a Japanese woodturner, Yoshinobu Kakizawa. I was fascinated to see the differences in technique compared to conventional woodturning techniques. These included using a sliding mobile tool rest made from a sliding wooden beam, using primarily scraping tools (as opposed to gouges), using a ring chuck without a tailstock, frequent reversing of the turning direction, and placing the turning tool below the center of the piece. It seems that Japanese woodturners make their own tools (oil hardened high carbon steel) almost without exception.

Been looking for the Japan Association of Woodturners or something like that so we can find some more info but not having much luck so far maybe STU could help us out.

Cliff Rogers
26th May 2007, 08:25 PM
Good on you too John for giving it a fair go. :2tsup:

macca2
26th May 2007, 10:26 PM
Hi there ticklingmedusa, thanks for all that info.

I also find that I rest my left elbow on the bench or head stock for stability.

I have a fan set up to the left of the headstock to blow the dust etc away from the work over the tailstock and out thr door of the shed. Keeps visitors on their toes.

Yes I have bought a top model chair (about $2000) and inflate the tyres to 70psi or what ever the local service station can provide. I have an extra foam cushion on the chair and it is very comfortable.

I use the one chair for everything. From working in the shed and garden to going out shopping etc so it is starting to show a few scratches etc. I just spend time cleaning it up now and then. It does not seem economical to have a work chair and a good chair.

I have a air blower that plugs into the 240v mains and use this to blow all (most) of the dust, chips etc from me and the chair. They still get carted inside the house and this does not go down well with SWMBO.

I use the grinder straight on. It is mounted just above elbow height and on the lefthand wheel is a variable angle sharpening jig.

Thanks again
Macca

bdar
27th May 2007, 12:15 AM
Macca I remember an article in Woodturning, July 2006 about Tony Wilson, he demostrates for the Silverdrive Lathe Company and is also confined to a wheel chair. The only email I have is [email protected] Maybe if you got in touch they may be able to get Tony to email you, worth a try.
Darren

reeves
27th May 2007, 01:38 AM
Macca, tough situation to be in but good to see yr still enthusiastic about turning. I saw the article previously mentioned and the guy just seemed ot arrange his lathe and tools to suit chair access, not too much trouble and probably better than the one armed turner i saw one time.

Some that may help is the traditional japanese style tuners alwasy turn sitting down. The lathe hangs out over a wooden platform about 3 feet high and they have a kind of seat attached to it.

Its seems just a low bench for the lathes and some sptregilaly placed plywod racks for tools etc might do it..

good luck!

La truciolara
27th May 2007, 04:25 AM
Referring to the message from “cedar n Silk” If you want to contact Vicmarc you can write to:
[email protected] ([email protected]) and address the message to GEOFF.
Should you use SKYPE (cheep phone system through computer) you could call them at:
+61732843103.

Another suggestion which has nothing to do with lateral moves. I think you might find some advantage in using gouges, chisels and scrapers with a short handle rather than a standard one. On your lathe the effort developed to hold your irons is such that the lever of the blade is quite sustainable with a shorter handle.

Good turning<O:p</O:p

Hickory
27th May 2007, 11:02 AM
I have been reading this string with some interest, I am a bi-lateral amputee and at the present I do well on prostheses but there may come a time... etc.

About 18 mo ago I had some minor surgery on one of my legs which made me stay off my legs for about 6 weeks. During that time I fabricated a nice Fireplace Mantle for my D-I-L while rolling in an old folding wheelchair, not the fancy gad-a-bouts that many have. Wasn't easy, but what is? I was able to use the TS , BS, Scroll saw, etc. Joiner and Planer from sitting in my chair. Did not attempt the Lathe because it is set up for standing. Inconvenient is as difficult as I can discribe. Sure I got less done and took longer and LOML had to come and fetch for me or heft a part for me. But I got it done and it turned out nicely.

I can invision having to revert to sitting whilst lathe activities fill my time, and for that I will reconstruct the lathe to accomidate the chair allowing full access. The height of the lathe bed as well as access below is the key. Get rid of the notion that lathes have to be weighted down to be able to turn and design a splayed stand that will allow the chair. Make it adjustable as you will need some time to find the comfortable position.

Then look toward the Dentist outfit. Where he has all his tools and goodies on mobile arms that swing from a piviot point and allow you to select the necessary devices without having to wonder about your shop. You could fabricate some similar device.

43 years w/o all my body parts has taught me that these things are not a handicap but rather just bothersome and we must make ammendments to accomidate the things that are in the way.

Rance
27th May 2007, 12:48 PM
An alternative to the bar could be a small to large pulley arrangement or a built in speed adjuster at the motor that could wind the seat back and forth in a similar way to the way we pull curtains back and forth on their cords. Obviously, a reverse gear would be a must.

I hope this is not too stupid and or expensive.

Graeme, I may have you beat on the stupid part.

From Cliff:
> Like tilting the lathe towards you a bit, why not tilt you towards the lathe a bit?

Along those lines, take a look at www.blueskyhg.com/products.aspx?Prod=3&Manu=8 (http://www.blueskyhg.com/products.aspx?Prod=3&Manu=8) , specifically, look at the Blue Sky Cocoon (Black with Red/White accents). Yes, these are for hang gliding. These pics are from my instructor's place. He makes these harnesses himself, of course you wouldn't need a parachute pouch in yours. I don't think the prices would be prohibitive, keep in mind that these are used for hanging a mile above the earth. For what you'd be looking for, I'd guess one could be made for about $100.

What I want to add to this discussion is that there are other options rather than a chair. However, at this point I can't see the viability of them. But I do post this for brainstorming purposes. Maybe someone can see this and it will spur other ideas.

Hope this helps.

OT: FWIW, Just because you are in a wheelchair, doesn't mean you can't enjoy hang gliding. They DO have tandem flights that are a blast.

Rance

rsser
27th May 2007, 01:07 PM
Hickory, all I can say is 'wow'.

Instead of thinking about moving the turner, why not consider moving the lathe?

At least in the case of spindle turning: moving the lathe left and right to mimic moving from one foot to another.

(Well, that's my brain drizzle for the day).

ticklingmedusa
27th May 2007, 02:29 PM
Along those lines, take a look at www.blueskyhg.com/products.aspx?Prod=3&Manu=8 (http://www.blueskyhg.com/products.aspx?Prod=3&Manu=8) , specifically, look at the Blue Sky Cocoon (Black with Red/White accents). Yes, these are for hang gliding. These pics are from my instructor's place. He makes these harnesses himself, of course you wouldn't need a parachute pouch in yours. I don't think the prices would be prohibitive, keep in mind that these are used for hanging a mile above the earth. For what you'd be looking for, I'd guess one could be made for about $100
Rance,
its interesting that you mention hang gliding. Todays ultralight chairs
have many hardware & other components that are borrowed from that sport. My chair today weighs in at just over 20 pounds. When I started
this game the original was close to 60.
If I had a harness like that I could store more wood up in the rafters .:D
My brother is a rock climber / hang glider... and has helped me set up numerous cockamammie devices around here.

Hickory,
I've always respected and admired your innovative ability, if I ever make it to your part of the country I sure would like to chat with you.

I use the one chair for everything. From working in the shed and garden to going out shopping etc so it is starting to show a few scratches etc. I just spend time cleaning it up now and then. It does not seem economical to have a work chair and a good chair.
Macca,
I have also been a single chair wheelie for a long time.
A second set of wheels is a good option along with quick release hubs.
My day job is marine aquarium keeping at a public museum .
I often get hosed or splashed with seawater when I move big fish or sharks and
like the song says "rust never sleeps". My frame is titanium but
all the bloody fasteners are steel. I finally splurged and bought a second
ride last fall. I'm saving it for dances and my retirement.
peace,
tm

OGYT
27th May 2007, 02:44 PM
Hickory, if I ever make it to your part of the country I sure
would like to chat with you.
tm
John, if you ever make it to his part of the country, you'd better plan one of your stops for here. :)<!-- / message -->

ticklingmedusa
27th May 2007, 02:58 PM
John, if you ever make it to his part of the country, you'd better plan one of your stops for here. :)

Youre already programed into my mapquest.com routefinder Al.
tm:cool:

<!-- / message --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

echnidna
27th May 2007, 07:37 PM
Theres a volunteer group in Vic called TADVIC who make technical aids for people with disabilities.

I expect there would be a similar group in each state.

Sorry but I don't have any contact details but I expect most Occupational Therapists should have contact details

Just did a google and found the TADVIC website
http://www.tadvic.asn.au/

echnidna
27th May 2007, 08:18 PM
Here's a link page to the various TAD groups around Australia.

http://www.technicalaidact.org.au/LinksToOtherTADS.htm

Penpal
28th May 2007, 07:50 PM
Although this set up for me is used for pen turning a look at your set up tells me your lathe bed is similar to mine.I bored a hole thru the bench and fitted an adjustable tube and vacuum cleaner fitting to now an Aldi bagless vac under.From the seat which is the raised typing type with a back it is comfy for me,I welded the frame and all to suit me.This removes my dust problem. :2tsup: Peter

ticklingmedusa
28th May 2007, 09:19 PM
great idea,
tm

s_m
28th May 2007, 11:28 PM
It has certainly been a steep learning curve since Nov 2006. Getting into a wheelchair, surrendering my drivers licence, sitting for a modified vehicle drivers licence, buying a new vehicle, modifying the vehicle to hand controls, modifying the the garage roof to accommodate car roof mounted wheelchair hoist. But eh, life is good when you have a shed and a lathe and a forum full of good advice. And of course SWMBO.

Oh Macca I can so relate. You've done well to get thru all of that in under 6m.

My Other Half broke his neck in June 2000. He has no arm function so I can't help with any woodworking tips but he does still have a fantastic SWMBO - even if I do say so myself :D :B.

Good luck with your lathe modifications and future wood turning!

Steph

Hickory
29th May 2007, 04:38 AM
Give this site a look at... http://www.ableworkshop.com/nicholslathe.htm

This fellow has the lathe tilted to allow room for his legs. With a smaller (mini) lathe a stand could be devised so that there is clearance under the bed for the legs.

Try the site as well: http://www.abledata.com/

Most lathes have a bed that is self supporting so simply attaching legs at each end of a height to allow correct working height and clearance for the chair and turner's lap would place the spindle at the proper/safe elevation. A simple table constructed of angle iron can do the job nicely it would give the clearance and support w/o the mass of wood construction.

Hickory
29th May 2007, 05:03 AM
A work station such as this can easily be use to mount a Mini lathe and adjust to find the more comfortable working height...

Far too often we think of adjusting the user to the conditions rather than adjusting the conditions to suit the user. :doh:

Rance
29th May 2007, 06:29 AM
Hickory, nice find. On that site (ableworkshop) it would appear that the best overall woodworking solution would be the stand for the scrollsaw with the wide front legs. That could be adapted for many tools.

I agree, the work should generally be adjusted to the user, not the other way around. With that in mind (and maybe some ableworkshop viewpoint thrown in) one might be able to use the pedistal for an office chair as a start. For years, I've been taken broken office chairs and removing the seat. Then mount a piece of ply where the seat used to be and mount a tool to it. I have my planer on one and it makes it easy to roll around. If you took the height mechanism and raised it up and put it on a sturdier stand, you could end up with some height adjustment on the fly as well as some tilt.

Speaking of tilt, It appears that tilting the lathe toward the wheeler would be the obvious part of the solution. If one were sitting in a wheelchair and wanted both head and arms in the same relative position to the lathe, then simply lowering the lathe and keeping it flat presents problems getting close enough to it, but if you tilt it towards you, then that has less drawbacks. As I type this, the recumbent bicycle comes to mind. Of course you don't want to go overboard with the tilting idea, otherwise you'd end up with a mouth full of chips and dust. ROTF.

Hope this spurs some good ideas.

Rance

macca2
29th May 2007, 12:06 PM
Thanks all. Some great sites and advice there.
I first tilted my lathe as a result of sitting in the chair and trying to reach over to get the right angle. I started by lowering the tool rest way below centre but still not right.
As you know, when turning from a standing position you are looking down on the lathe, so it soon became fairly obvious that if I changed the angle of the lathe I could sit back in the chair and be closer to looking down on the lathe as in the standing position.
Not sure yet if the angle of tilt is enough, but if you tilt it to much you end up with tool handles getting tangled up with your knees. This can be alleviated to some degree by sitting at angle to the lathe.

Macca

Hickory
29th May 2007, 02:05 PM
I agree that you sort-of hunker over the lathe when you stand at it. (reason my neck hurts after a while) but you can create the same effect if you lower the stand so that the lathe is in your lap (so to speak) That is why I am suggesting a stronger/thinner stand so that the chair and you in it can easily approach the lathe on your level. Approaching the lathe from the side, seems to me that that would create an uncomfortable position and after time the muscles and nerves will react and let you know of their displeasure.

Not knowing the extent of your restrictions I am only guessing, considering my own limitations as a basis.

If the lathe chisel/skew/gouge handles are striking your body (either tilted or level) you can shorten the handles. Although I use roughing gouges with the handle toward my side and longer handles have an advantage. If you are pen turning or small project turning , then a long handle is more of a detriment than an asset.

Like I said before, adapt the equipment... not the user.

Make yourself as comfortable as you can (short of dozing off) when you use WWing equipment, this helps prevent accidents and makes the whole experience more worthwhile.

Keep trying new approaches until you master the craft. Keep us informed and inform others who are limited in their approach to this great craft of WWing. :2tsup:

arose62
2nd June 2007, 10:11 AM
I saw an article on guy turning from a wheelchair the other day, whilst doing my round of 2nd-hand bookshops in Gosford.

Didn't take much notice, so I'll see if I can find it again. I think the turner's name was Jon Butt, but I'm not real sure of that. Pretty sure it was an Aussie mag, though.

wheelinround
25th June 2007, 04:04 PM
Since I have become dependent on a wheelchair I have been trying out various ways of positioning my lathe.

This is a picture of my lathe that I have mounted on a home made bench with the rear higher than the front. This brings the tool rest to a more comfortable position.

I am interested in finding out all I can from people who have had this predicament and have come up with ways to make turning from a wheelchair more comfortable.

Thanks
Macca

Hi Macca.
I am new to the forum and new to turning, I also use a wheel chair.
I have just purchased a new Jet Mini lathe. I have to thank Peter from Bankstown Turners and Adrian from Trent Timbers for their help and advice.
I was glad to find your post as well as the many ideas.
I can get up and onto a stool positioning can be a problem for end turning but I'll keep looking at how what and which way for best fit.
At this stage the lathe is mounted on an old steel frame desk turned into a work bench, its a little high ideal for standing and for sitting on the stool although I'd prefer a little higher.
I like the paraglider brace idea a track across the ceiling or mobile gantry WOW

ticklingmedusa
25th June 2007, 06:09 PM
Welcome,
tm

wheelinround
4th July 2007, 04:54 PM
:) well for the last few days I have had some pleasure playing with the new Lathe.
As stated I work from a stool positioning for end turning I knew was going to pose a problem.
I may have solved it by turning the lathe so that I can see and access to end turn.... my bench space allows it.
This how ever creates a further problem it places the OFF switch out of reach for quick access especially as its a varieble speed box which will not stay shut as the lower hinge pin works itself loose allowing it to swing further out of reach. A simple solution would be to
1 have it checked out and the hing fixed being a new Lathe
2 Use a power board with a switch that I could reach
Yankin the plug out is out of the question...........although this I had to do when the OFF switch wouldn't TURN OFF.
It's going to be checked out returning tomorrow.

Red Gum
4th July 2007, 05:17 PM
Well done Macca

I have been a wood turner for close on 20 years and have changed over to scroll saw work for a new challenge.

On the scrollers sight there is a Perth person wheel chair bound and has lost an arm. You might be interested in contacting his go between to give a bit of support.

I have just retired from working with dsabled people who are returning to work. I have quoted disabled wood turners to these people in an attempt to opening their eyes to what somtimes seems to be imposible. many have listened and achived their own goals
as a result

Keep up the good work

Hickory
6th July 2007, 05:05 AM
Sinse you first started this string of posts, Anothe forum introduced this lathe frome Oneway http://www.oneway.ca/ It is a "Sit Down" lathe. Although oneway is not sold in Aus. I bet a keen minded fellow could figure out how to duplicate a similar stand for a traditional lathe, the tilt and the compound shapped Tool rest holder is the only difference (perhaps the switch location)

wheelinround
8th July 2007, 02:41 PM

Thanks
Macca

Macca can you use an office chair with side arms???
I have just thought of an idea.........a couple acctually
mount the office chair onto a swinging arm on a boom
the hieght adjustment and swivel of the chair could give what your after

OR

Mount the lathe onto a hydrualic lift setup something like an engine lifter or engine stand used for turning engines for ease of access of course it would have to be stabelized to stop vibration .