PDA

View Full Version : New Ubeaut workbench... WIP

Wild Dingo
27th May 2007, 02:44 AM
Okay so aside from the ongoing delusions related to the thicknesser Ive been attempting to build myself a ripsnorter workbench including some of the design features Ive seen and gathered from various sources like Ramps and Derek...

So I thought Id post a "Where Im at" on this work in progress

Pic one... the top with a couple of "make believe" square dogs and the legs are resting against it...

The top is made of 1in x 2 1/4in x 60in Jarrah laid side on to each other... they are just resting against each other in the pic... the dog holes are spaced 12in apart and are one inch square... the back (right in the pic) section is 1in x 2 3/4in x 60in and the finish thickness will be 2in for the front and 2 1/2in for the back... Ive left them in sections of approximately 5 - 8 lengths wide for ease of drilling for the 3 x 1/2in threaded rod I will be putting through to keep it together... after thicknessing that is

The legs are 4in x 4in Kapur 32in long... this will make the top of the table 34in above the floor which is ideal as in just below resting elbow height (no reaching or bending) The rails will be Durian another Malay hardwood

The face board will be Malay Sepature as its a hardwood with a very interesting grain run this will be 5in wide at the front and 1 1/2in thick... the sides will be doubled Jarrah 1in x 4in and the back will be again Jarrah 1in x 4in... the reason Im doubling the sides is to do as Derek has done and make the outside peice attached by a couple of bolts and wing nuts for an end vice...

I am presently still deciding if I need to make it with doors to enclose it or just a center drawer and a shelf under

I got the legs sorted to their final length this morning on the SCS (What a bloody wizard of a machine that thing is!! man Im glad I bought it good value!! actually hadnt used it till today had it stuck in a corner of the shed and almost forgotten it) which you can just see in the second pic and yes I did put a roller stand under the leg you see sticking out in the middle of nowhere... I was about to thickness them when the thicknesser had a major dummyspit.. so I will be doing that tomorrow

I really seriously do not want to move the finished bench at all!! Man this thing is gonna be bloody heavy!! :o :2tsup:

Will update as I go along

oh ye will notice the shiney stuff hanging over the machines... well the shed do leak just a tad where the boys drilled the holes for the roof sheets in the wrong places... and I havent as yet gotten around to climbing up there to seal them with sillycone :duh: And yes I do like a messy shed cause its a good honest mess an its mine!! ALL MINE!! :U

Pat
27th May 2007, 06:58 AM
Shane, have you got power to the shed yet? Or is that something to do with the new house?

BTW, the bench top is looking better than mine!

Jedo_03
27th May 2007, 09:17 AM
looks bloody good
I really envy you blokes who can access this kind of timber 'just' to build benche$...
I'd be ecstatic to get my hands on something other than pine 70x19, pine 90x19, pine matchboard, pine, pine, pine...
Ages ago saw some hardwood down in Mildura bunnings - couldn't remember if it was called "durian". I posted an enquiry here asking if anybody knew - (didn't get any info) and here you are using "Durian hardwood from Malay"..!
What's it like to work - any good...
BTW Mildura is about a 7 hr round trip for me - not like I can just pop down to the local bunnies and grab some.
My workbench is an oregon frame and legs with a centre shelf and 2 sheets of solid core door, ply topped. bout same height as yours.
as I said - yours looks bloody good
Jedo

reeves
27th May 2007, 11:25 AM
Lookin good Dingo, very solid stuff, those laminates should hold up to pretty much anything, are u stickin with the metal frame for this one..?

Jedo...only find pine out Broken Hill way?
yeah u shood be abe to get some river redgum and other nice things down Mildura way but around broken hill, apart from the fact there aint many trees but i mean within a 100 KM radius you 'should' be able to find some mulga, snappy gum and other desert timbers...down Wilcania way along the river there should be river gums and other eucalypts, also a fair bit of salvage timber in that area (like the entire town of Cobar;-)..keep ya eyes peeled and chainsaw handy..i rmeeber seeing heaps of old sleepers lying around in Nyngan

Woodlee
27th May 2007, 11:45 AM
looks bloody good
I really envy you blokes who can access this kind of timber 'just' to build benche$...
I'd be ecstatic to get my hands on something other than pine 70x19, pine 90x19, pine matchboard, pine, pine, pine...
Ages ago saw some hardwood down in Mildura bunnings - couldn't remember if it was called "durian". I posted an enquiry here asking if anybody knew - (didn't get any info) and here you are using "Durian hardwood from Malay"..!
What's it like to work - any good...
BTW Mildura is about a 7 hr round trip for me - not like I can just pop down to the local bunnies and grab some.
My workbench is an oregon frame and legs with a centre shelf and 2 sheets of solid core door, ply topped. bout same height as yours.
as I said - yours looks bloody good
Jedo

Same here Jedo ,7 hr round trip to Darwin .
All I can get here is pine ,pine and Tassie oak ,both in limited quantities and already cut to sizes that are useless to me.
Prices are for example : 1xpiece of crapiata 90mmx 90mm x 1000mm dar = $39.00 .
I am building a bench at the moment steel framed in 65 x 65 x 3mm rhs ,with a second hand solid core door for a top.Id really like some decent Jarrah for face boards ,but all I have is some 40 mm x 150mm oregon packing crate floor boards.

Woodlee
27th May 2007, 11:47 AM
Okay so aside from the ongoing delusions related to the thicknesser Ive been attempting to build myself a ripsnorter workbench including some of the design features Ive seen and gathered from various sources like Ramps and Derek...

So I thought Id post a "Where Im at" on this work in progress

Pic one... the top with a couple of "make believe" square dogs and the legs are resting against it...

The top is made of 1in x 2 1/4in x 60in Jarrah laid side on to each other... they are just resting against each other in the pic... the dog holes are spaced 12in apart and are one inch square... the back (right in the pic) section is 1in x 2 3/4in x 60in and the finish thickness will be 2in for the front and 2 1/2in for the back... Ive left them in sections of approximately 5 - 8 lengths wide for ease of drilling for the 3 x 1/2in threaded rod I will be putting through to keep it together... after thicknessing that is

The legs are 4in x 4in Kapur 32in long... this will make the top of the table 34in above the floor which is ideal as in just below resting elbow height (no reaching or bending) The rails will be Durian another Malay hardwood

The face board will be Malay Sepature as its a hardwood with a very interesting grain run this will be 5in wide at the front and 1 1/2in thick... the sides will be doubled Jarrah 1in x 4in and the back will be again Jarrah 1in x 4in... the reason Im doubling the sides is to do as Derek has done and make the outside peice attached by a couple of bolts and wing nuts for an end vice...

I am presently still deciding if I need to make it with doors to enclose it or just a center drawer and a shelf under

I got the legs sorted to their final length this morning on the SCS (What a bloody wizard of a machine that thing is!! man Im glad I bought it good value!! actually hadnt used it till today had it stuck in a corner of the shed and almost forgotten it) which you can just see in the second pic and yes I did put a roller stand under the leg you see sticking out in the middle of nowhere... I was about to thickness them when the thicknesser had a major dummyspit.. so I will be doing that tomorrow

I really seriously do not want to move the finished bench at all!! Man this thing is gonna be bloody heavy!! :o :2tsup:

Will update as I go along

oh ye will notice the shiney stuff hanging over the machines... well the shed do leak just a tad where the boys drilled the holes for the roof sheets in the wrong places... and I havent as yet gotten around to climbing up there to seal them with sillycone :duh: And yes I do like a messy shed cause its a good honest mess an its mine!! ALL MINE!! :U

Looks good ,wish I could get decent timber here .

AlexS
27th May 2007, 06:08 PM
Lookin' good Shane.
One thing to consider when deciding whether to enclose underneath is that it's sometimes convenient to put a clamp under the bench to help clamp awkward shapes in the vice.

McFly
27th May 2007, 06:11 PM
Looking nice Wild Dingo.:2tsup:
I wish I had a supply of Jarrah like that to make my workbench.
Over here in NZ we don't have the same real hard timbers that you jokers do.
Can't wait to see your next WIP photos.

Jedo_03
27th May 2007, 07:58 PM
Lookin good Dingo, very solid stuff, those laminates should hold up to pretty much anything, are u stickin with the metal frame for this one..?

Jedo...only find pine out Broken Hill way?
yeah u shood be abe to get some river redgum and other nice things down Mildura way but around broken hill, apart from the fact there aint many trees but i mean within a 100 KM radius you 'should' be able to find some mulga, snappy gum and other desert timbers...down Wilcania way along the river there should be river gums and other eucalypts, also a fair bit of salvage timber in that area (like the entire town of Cobar;-)..keep ya eyes peeled and chainsaw handy..i rmeeber seeing heaps of old sleepers lying around in Nyngan

Never used one in me life...
but trying to pluck up the courage...
been reading the posts about alaskan chainsaws and vertical chainsaws...
as you say - plenty timber around, just harvesting it...
in this case - neccessity may be the mother of intention. . .:roll:
Going down mildura queens birthday weekend with the grandkids - so planning on some durian and tassie oak from bunnies, and if the merbein sawmill's open then some redgum too.
might start and think about a chainsaw though...
mebbe a dinky 'lectric one for starters - to learn on...
Jedo

Jedo_03
27th May 2007, 08:05 PM
Same here Jedo ,7 hr round trip to Darwin .
All I can get here is pine ,pine and Tassie oak ,both in limited quantities and already cut to sizes that are useless to me.
Prices are for example : 1xpiece of crapiata 90mmx 90mm x 1000mm dar = $39.00 .
I am building a bench at the moment steel framed in 65 x 65 x 3mm rhs ,with a second hand solid core door for a top.Id really like some decent Jarrah for face boards ,but all I have is some 40 mm x 150mm oregon packing crate floor boards.

Well hello again. . :)
Yeah - yur a long way out too...
pricey pine. . .:~
Is that from Chow Lee's (I think that's the name... Correct me if I'm wrong...)
Might need some sandbags low down on the steel frame to keep the bloody thing still...
happy building
Jedo

himzol
27th May 2007, 08:59 PM
Lookin' good Shane.
One thing to consider when deciding whether to enclose underneath is that it's sometimes convenient to put a clamp under the bench to help clamp awkward shapes in the vice.

Good point Alex,
I've been toying with putting in a slide out tray which has all my sharpening aids (diamond plates etc) just under the bench top. But as yoou say sometimes you need to clamp things down.

Sorry for the temporary highjack WD, please keep us posted as to your progress it's looking good so far. And ... I can only imagine trying to lift that Jarrah top after knowing how much the Oak top I made weighs.... Hey heres a thought, surely those girls of yours have atrracted some no good low lifes who have more muscles than brains (and healthy young backs) get them to move the bench, BEFORE you pull the shotty (or chainsaw) out..:D :D :D

Looking forward to see what you decide on the underneath as mine is still a WIP until I get enough funds for the Veritas twin screw which will be placed as an end vice. ( I've also spent a considerable amount of my free time lately brewing beer.):B Anywhoo I'll watch and see which way you jump and how it looks.

Himzo.

Woodlee
27th May 2007, 09:11 PM
Well hello again. . :)
Yeah - yur a long way out too...
pricey pine. . .:~
Is that from Chow Lee's (I think that's the name... Correct me if I'm wrong...)
Might need some sandbags low down on the steel frame to keep the bloody thing still...
happy building
Jedo

The local M10 actually .
I spent the day cutting up and tacking the end frames together . damn heavy already .
I may glue two solid core doors together to give me a 60mm top thickness.
Or take the plunge and drive to Darwin and buy some heavy Jarrah to do the face boards and two raised planks on the top (like the old school woodworking benches with the well in the centre)
Any way here is a pic of the end frames tacked together.
The holes in the bottom frame ends are for adjusting screws to change the height of the bench .I wasnt quite sure what hieght to make the bench so I decided to make it adjustable

Jedo_03
27th May 2007, 09:57 PM
The local M10 actually .
I spent the day cutting up and tacking the end frames together . damn heavy already .
I may glue two solid core doors together to give me a 60mm top thickness.
Or take the plunge and drive to Darwin and buy some heavy Jarrah to do the face boards and two raised planks on the top (like the old school woodworking benches with the well in the centre)
Any way here is a pic of the end frames tacked together.
The holes in the bottom frame ends are for adjusting screws to change the height of the bench .I wasnt quite sure what hieght to make the bench so I decided to make it adjustable

Jeez, Woodlee - that's a helluva frame - forget the sandbags,,,
I glued 2 solid core doors together too - Mines 600mm - what size doors you using...:U
Lord - I remember those ww'ing benches in me old ww class back in blighty,,,central tool well, bench stops, swearwords carved all over,,,
good idea to make it adjustable - suit whatever job yur doing - BUT - if ya add all that heavy jaraah for the aprons and the top, you'd need summa them 4wd car jacks to adjust the bugger. . .
post a pic when it's finished
Jedo

ps - I'm gonna start posting pics (not as a brag factor - just to raise my profile... LOL)

Woodlee
27th May 2007, 10:19 PM
Jeez, Woodlee - that's a helluva frame - forget the sandbags,,,
I glued 2 solid core doors together too - Mines 600mm - what size doors you using...:U
Lord - I remember those ww'ing benches in me old ww class back in blighty,,,central tool well, bench stops, swearwords carved all over,,,
good idea to make it adjustable - suit whatever job yur doing - BUT - if ya add all that heavy jaraah for the aprons and the top, you'd need summa them 4wd car jacks to adjust the bugger. . .
post a pic when it's finished
Jedo

ps - I'm gonna start posting pics (not as a brag factor - just to raise my profile... LOL)

I always forget the pics Im usually too engrossed in what Im doing to remember to take them most of the time.:(
Posted some pics of my saws and planes in other sections.

The door is 815 x 2340 full sized door ,I bought five of them from a demolition sale at the RAAF Base .I got four large book cases , 20 wardrobe doors ,a whopping great mirror and the five doors for $150.00 .I had to fill the lock hole and hinge mortises and do some repair on the edge strips.
The doors , wardrobe doors and the book cases are all veneered ply ,Tassie oak I think

The jacking screws are 20mm all thread with nuts welded to the frame ,I'm going to turn up some feet to fix to the end of the screws ( G clamp style pads) so they swivel .
It's just recycled steel I had lying around so I thought I would use it
I got to make it heavy ,in case of a cyclone ,my shed might get blown away but my bench will remain in place.:D

Wild Dingo
30th May 2007, 08:36 PM
Speaking of forgetting the pics :doh:

Anyway I will post some tomorrow... for now

Ive finally finished the jointing and thicknessing WHAHOOOO!!!... and Ive done the glueup of the top its presently sitting on the old bench setting with a couple of those big clamps pulling it all nice and snug... Gawd I tell yer what she do look SEXYWEXY as all hell :2tsup:

The Jarrah framework is ready for the top to set then that will be added with bolts... I'll work out the way of putting the end clamps on before I get that far... may even make up a vice for the front?

Ive also cut jointed and thicknessed the parts for the legs rails and short rails... the front top and bottom rails will be 5in x 1in Sepiature this will allow 3in to show below the top "skirt" will also mean that the skirt will be 2in thick... the legs are Kapur as are the side rails.

I am yet to cut joint and thickness the bottom shelf... Ive decided to leave her open... cheers for the clamp thought!! Im forever looking for places to clamp things to :2tsup:

All up today was a brilliant day in the shed! Pics on the morrow :;

As to moving it? Your kidding right? sure you are... man just the top weighs a bloody ton!! shyte its friggin HEAVY!!... when I clamped it up I had to lift it to set it onto some level blocks so it wouldnt stick to the workbench top that Im working on it on... and man... ooooh shyte almost went looking for a block and tackle!! HEAVY?? Strewth!! :C Ol Arnie would find it a battle to get this sucker moved!

mmm and on that thought... Im thinking of putting a rail underneath it... just one in the middle from front to back and incorporate a couple between the top rails at whatever thickness the one on the top apart... is so it slots in between... damned if I want to be trying to move this buggar if its one flamin unit!! :o Had young Ben over earlier and hes the strongest of the lads and even he was grunting lifting one end sooooo Im thinkin it better be in two bits eh? I reckon once its down and in its slot it IS NOT going to move!!

Anyways pics on the morrow!!

CHEERS!! :2tsup:

Oi... whats a good finish for a wookbench? Im thinking something hard maybe? or not? buggared if I know!! Oil? Marveer? what??? Ideas thoughts what youve done would be greatfully accepted... cheers

Wild Dingo
30th May 2007, 08:47 PM
Oh... and another thing the missus in her wisdom came up with... I told her NOT to come into the flamin shed!!! :doh:

Anyways she was watching me set the top to glueup... and she murmered "mmm thats really nice love" I smiled proudly "yeah its a beauty aint it" to which she looked around the shed and said "mmm its a workbench for the shed isnt it?" I kept focus on the clampup "yep! a propa one darls"... silence... I looked over at her and watched her tut tutting to herself as she wandered around between the tools and other stuff in there "where are you going to put it?"

LOGICS!! WHAT IS IT WITH BLASTED SHEILAS??? who thinks of things like that? I mean I WANT A BLOODY UBEAUT WORKBENCH who cares where it goes? :doh:

But then after she saw me fired up eyeballs she shot outta there... so I finished what I was doing and muttering to meself sat in the moaning chair and sipped me cuppa... and looked around... mmmm where indeed??

So I reckon Ive got probably another 2 maybe 3 days and this workbench will be done and finished... and now shes created a major problem.. I mean it wasnt there BEFORE she came out and got all bloody logical on me!... but where the blazes am I going to put this thing???

Okay pics on the morrow... maybe yous blokes can help me decide where to shove it :roll: ... cause its gotta be finished insitu cause it aint movin far after its altogether :2tsup:

Harry72
30th May 2007, 08:57 PM
Isnt it amazing how someone else says something logical and you dont take it well but realise after they were right... hate that!

Cliff Rogers
31st May 2007, 12:39 AM
Hey Dingo, that is your queue mate, you need a bigger shed. :D

Wild Dingo
31st May 2007, 01:34 AM
Hey Dingo, that is your queue mate, you need a bigger shed.

:U Hey Cliff?... we are meant to be moving!! :C

Mind you... she keeps changing her bloody mind nowadays :doh: Weve searched the net from here to FNQ as you know even from NZ to Tassy and back.... weve reseached having a house built by a project builder weve reseached those kit homes from over east and weve even designed out own house in Cheif Architect... but SHE keeps changing her friggin flamin bloody mind!!!... SHE spent a few hours wandering around the paddock and down near the creek this morning and came up to me with young Lukas at her side laughing and smiling... we watched as the little fella ran and mucked about stopped and watched a couple of 28s in front of him and you know what this sheila said?

"It is lovely here nice and peaceful you know?" oooh shyte here we go again I thought as I gave her a hug... "I thought you had decided to buy that place in Australind honey"... she smiled that little girl smile and said "yeah I know but this place is really lovely all the birds the cows over the fence the birds you know? And look at Lukas... we can just take him outside and walk around for hours at the creek the trees the animals and birds we wouldnt be able to do that in that house would we? neighbors on 3 sides and just there you know?"

So... SHE has changed her flamin mind AGAIN!! :doh: I tell you what Im almost at the point of buying a bloody HUGE MASSIVE flamin shed and saying "There now were staying bloody put get over it!" cause if I do that I AINT MOVIN one inch :2tsup:

Thats the thing about this place I can build as many and as big a shed as I want and as many seatainers as I want to stick on it without any real issues ... if we buy in Australind Im down to a bloody 6x6 or at best the same as I have now... minus the seatainer. :no:

I think shes starting to realize just how good we have got it here... oh the towns crap the people are absolute shytes but the block? the place we have? Brilliant... not the house thats fallin apart at the seams as the stumps move out of sinc with each other... but the rest? the atmosphere? the lifestyle? Wonderful... so I reckon if we spend 30 - 40000 on raising the land out the back of this place and then build on stumps again we could have a rip snorter of a place for probably 200000 - 250000+/- finished... I will just keep diddling along and keeping her happy until she finally comes around...

then I will go buy ANOTHER SHED!! :2tsup:

Wild Dingo
31st May 2007, 02:50 PM
So as promised here are a few pics of the Workbench WIP :2tsup:

1) The top with the legs and other bits stuck on top for overnighting while the glueup happened
2) The only corner free and accessable so where this bench will live
3) The lack of room is becoming sorta obvious eh? :C damned sheds too flamin small :~ there is one area just past the lathe and in the left hand corner where I could put it but then Id have to move the sodding scrap bin and thats full and weighs almost as much as the bench top!
4) Trying out the front and back top rails... the back one as you can see will sit proud about an inch and a half so things do go whizzing of the top and down the back onto the floor and outta sight... Ive added the little block plane the jap saw and the mallet for to give you an idea re size.
5) The top!... okay hang on a tick and I'll post a bedda one :;

Wild Dingo
31st May 2007, 02:59 PM
Okay NOW for the top!!

You will notice that the front set of dogholes are offset to the other two sets... well dont ask me why I did that okay? cause I cant remember just seemed like the right idea at the time I think... no point in having 3 sets all in a line eh? :;

She do look purty eh... needs a bit of sanding and such and then the finish whatever that ends up being... and where shes standing against the bench is where she will stay till the carcass is done and ready for her to swing up and on... so hopefully tomorrow :2tsup: The trolley had a purple hissy fit when I put it on her man this thing is HEAVY!!! ;:

Onwards and upwards!! its a nice fine day here so a day in the shed is called for! I may even get a chance to get one or two of her "honey do" jobs knocked over... nah!! shed time is shed time cant waste it!! :U

Waldo
31st May 2007, 04:47 PM
G'day Dingo,

Looking like a ripper there mate. :2tsup: Lucky sod, being a Westie and having all that Jarrah at your fingertips.

If it weren't for a full 9m x 7m shed and two cars in it I'd be looking at a bench like that myself. But I've only got room left for my r/table and nothin' else.

Keep the stuff coming Dingo, bench pawn is just right for my eyes.

HappyHammer
31st May 2007, 04:50 PM
Is it me or are the legs a bit skinny:U
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=47212&stc=1&thumb=1 (http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=47212)
HH.

Cliff Rogers
31st May 2007, 07:14 PM
Arrr... 28s, we don't get them over here.

Wild Dingo
1st June 2007, 02:00 AM
:U Waldo mate bein a Westie doesnt necessarily equate to havin lots of Jarrah at ones finger tips ol son... why Ive been known not to have a single toothpick of the stuff from time to time :o But when wes gots it by gar it becomes anything and everything!! And I sure gots it in spades just now... mind you Id trade for some nice sheoak or huon or even some good clear oregon or spruce... but then Im a timberhog I am :;

Hammer... mate thats the old "mobile" workbench... you know the one you give nice heavy shove to when you need it to move? that one! :2tsup: and its the carcas of a post office desk with a doubled up chunk of 1 1/2in stuff formply I think? not sure now anyways thats whats on the top... which will need replacing when Im done with this bench Im thinking... the legs are part of the steel frame... dont mind me its a great wee bench and serves me well since it resides right in that doorway so gets light over it... but well we all need and feel the urge for a really sexy ubeaut built by meownself with lovin care bench as an alternative to the more commonly whacked together with 2 short planks and a few 4x4s

Im hoping to keep the other benches as Im damned if I know how I got along without them before I whacked them together and Im buggared if I want to return to those bad ol days of just one or two small benches... Ive become kinda amored with having all the bench space I have and rather spoilt or so me missus thinks :doh:

And Cliff... we have swarms of the things here at Dingo Creek... them and Black Cockatoos Pink and Greys along with several families of Kookaburras... the blacks and pinks tend to come for the pine cones that bash down on the shed of the roof on a half hourly basis or less if the blighters know Im in there :~ The 28s come and play around the small paddle pool we have out on the flat for young Lukas to muck about in... then theres the ducks that live on the pond and the cranes and other birdlife that come down there... HEY!! I found out tonight we have Marron in the creek at the first bend and in the pond... a couple of nice sized ones were spotted by young Joshy this evening sooooo could be some quiet marroning happening here shortly

Its part of what I think has changed her mind about moving... all the critters coming visiting the peace and quiet and the space you know?

BUT back to the bench!!... Ive near done the legs just need to finish one set off and then cut the whatever theyre called for the rails and then a good planing down of the corners and edges and whack them together... then a couple of recessed cross members for extra support for the top... a couple of shorter planks of Jarrah for the base shelf and then Im ready for finishing!!... thats IF I can get a good day in the shed it should be done ready for finishing tomorrow arvo! :2tsup:

macca2
1st June 2007, 10:43 AM
Eh Dingo, don't end up like that pollie fella down your way by catching them marron our of season, or without a licence, or under size.

Wild Dingo
1st June 2007, 11:35 AM
Eh Dingo, don't end up like that pollie fella down your way by catching them marron our of season, or without a licence, or under size.

You mean ol Mick Murray? Our local pollie?... what a right bloody wally he is eh? :doh: And to think he "represents" us :no:

Ahhh but well there you go pollies wakkers the lot of em :~ Micks no different that that other wakker Omedea (sp) what a gall hes got shoots his son has a crim record and remains the leader of the bloody opposition? (Now thats a bloody crock to start with eh?) and yet he reckons Mick should be sacked for nickin a few too many bloody abalone?... pollies bunch of friggin wakkers

manoftalent
1st June 2007, 02:41 PM
Hey Dingo, thats Great looking top mate, why not finish it in deckig oil..?......I reckon a few knocks and bumps in a top gives it character .....if ya make it tooo purty .....you wont want to use it :U

givusabrake
1st June 2007, 09:31 PM
Hmmm fantastic bench there matey. I remember when I was livin over in good ole WA. Ballajura and Merriwa.

Krikeys that Jarrah would be nice now. If you leave the Wild West be sure to keep some supplies with Ya. Oh yes thats why I replied to the post. I got all inspired this Mornin after reading some of the posts on this thread.

so went outside and cut n ripped a bit more pine and made a stand/workbench for my decrepid old Ryobi Thicknesser. I just spent one and a half days pullin the flamin thing apart and putting it all back together and I mean APART what a menace but it had to be done... :( nearly all my tools were in my shed when my house went up in flames Hmmmmm Honey think I left the oil on

Anyhow's that Fire Retardant stuff may be good at saving your Assets from fire damage

but no one told me that it acts like dam dam dam sulpuric acid took the anodising off of everything in my shed and I mean everything

now all my tools are rusty even if a drawer or box was partly opened in it got just fumes in the air I think???? real shame but my bench grinders are getting a real workout cleanin all the rust off that has accumulated over the past 18mths...

So there we are oh the bench/standy thing for my as good as new Ryobi Thicknesser is pretty good even made a little thing for my tape and pencil n rule etc Never no where to put it allthough the wife is becomin a great TA and holdin on to things for me god that third hand would be good hey?

well
cheers guys have a great W/e

Lignum
1st June 2007, 09:36 PM
Ding, how much to make a top and ship it over here :D

givusabrake
1st June 2007, 09:46 PM
Ding, how much to make a top and ship it over here :D
Now thats a though?

send em over in bulk.. Vicfast will do it

Lignum
1st June 2007, 09:52 PM
Now thats a though?

send em over in bulk.. Vicfast will do it

Get a few interested and Ding can make some money and we can get some great bench tops:2tsup: The price of Jarrah over here is terrible and the quality is crap. If there was a small bulk order i would get 2:)

givusabrake
1st June 2007, 09:55 PM
I tell ya what if you were to buy it in bulk and get onto a freight company you would be suprised at just how much you would save. Even here in Sale it is cheaper buying from Melb and payin the freight your still in front most of the time

John Saxton
1st June 2007, 10:04 PM
Get a few interested and Ding can make some money and we can get some great bench tops:2tsup: The price of Jarrah over here is terrible and the quality is crap. If there was a small bulk order i would get 2:)

There ya go Shane ...no more traipsin' off to the flamin' mines invest in a Domino and start production.:2tsup:

Good lookind bench top thats why ya got them Easties slobberin'

Go for it bloke:D

Cheers:)

givusabrake
1st June 2007, 11:11 PM
hey WD its still daylight on your side of OZ you could start production right away, I reckon some of that Jarrah would make a fine Butchers block for the middle of our new Kitchen. :)) then I could design the new House around it. and I thought it was going to be built around the pool table I been drewlin over solid oak Luvley

reeves
1st June 2007, 11:34 PM
Is it me or are the legs a bit skinny:U
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=47212&stc=1&thumb=1 (http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=47212)
HH.

definalty a bit skinny, maybe bolt some loverly jarrah to those steel legs quick;-)

Wild Dingo
2nd June 2007, 02:14 AM
So I spent another fantabulous day in the shed today... what a life this is eh?!! Bloody wicked I reckon :2tsup:

Anyways... I had the day pretty much to meself as the missus buggared of into Bunbury with the daughters and little grandhoon... so there I was busier than a gnat on a wombats bum usin the sliding table to the max!! Now seriously thats one jig I shoulda made years ago :2tsup: (note some quick pics will be on the jigs section shortly)

Sooo what did I do? got rid of the skinny legged one for starters!! :q nah gotta keep that one shes me workhorse bench... but I docked and cut all the uprights then the rails then got stuck in and drilled and bolted the whole shootin match together! OHH YEAH!!! :2tsup:

Then got out a nice length of 8 x 1 3/4 Meranti and cut that to length for the new skirting for the top... and decided to give myself a sneek peek at the sooon to be finished workbench bench with the top dryfitted

So far... top Jarrah (will have Meranti skirt tomorrow) carcass is Kapur legs with Durian side rails and Sepiature front and back rails with 2 Jarrah support rails in the middle of the top

Pic 1) First dry run of carcass
Pic 2) second dry run of carcass cut back in length for a 10in each end overhang of the bench
Pic 3) Maranti boards
Pic 4) Quick dry run with the top on!!
Pic 5) Moi getting a feel of how it feels... aahh perfek... and yeah I was sorta grumpy with the light fading and not being able to continue :C

Note to self... self get some bloody power to the flamin shed will you!! :doh:

HEY!!! Finally the Dingo Rd sign shows up!! whahoooo!! :U

Wild Dingo
2nd June 2007, 02:24 AM
Invest in a Domino??? whassat? and do I need more small blocks? I think not Johnno I think not... I mean you really outta see my scrap box as it is!! adding a whole bunch of small blocks of dominos to that just wouldnt be right... now would it? :no:

Cliff Rogers
2nd June 2007, 10:58 AM
That is going to be a ripper bench Ding. :2tsup:

himzol
2nd June 2007, 06:26 PM
That is going to be a ripper bench Ding. :2tsup:

I actually think it's too nice to be used for a bench, maybe you could give it to the missus for a sewing table:roll: :roll:

(fantastic work mate.)

H.

Wild Dingo
2nd June 2007, 09:14 PM
Okay as we come into the home stretch :2tsup:

1 and 2 are the skirt... almost ready for putting onto the bench
3 is.. ONA DA BENCH!!! :2tsup:

Tomorrow for the sanding and final shaping of the legs skirt and top... then a splash of that boiled linseed and turps goop and whallah all done about 3 days with spread out over a week or so... not to bad ifn I do say so meself! :;

Cheers for the encouragement and tips :2tsup:

I'll try and get some pics tomorrow once done and in its home corner of the shed... oh and Ive still gotta cut and fit the lower shelf... but thats pretty easy so no wukkers mates :;

Waldo
2nd June 2007, 09:32 PM
G'day Dingo,

Beaut stuff. It would've taken me a week to do what you've done.

It would've gone something like this:

• dimension ansd thickness the timber;
• stand back and drool over it with a vitamin in hand;
• have second thoughts about doing any more 'cause it looks so good like it is and drool over it with a vitamin in hand;
• do a bit more, the neighbour pops over and we drool over it with a vitamin in hand;
• see the above about 7 times over;
• one coat of oil and drool over it with a vitamin in hand;
• let it dry and cure for another day before the next coat;
• one coat of oil and drool over it with a vitamin in hand (this would take me a week of caots;
• finally have it finished, move into position the neighbour pops over and we drool over it with a vitamin in hand vitamin in hand.

Top stuff Dingo :cool: I saw a tonne of beautiful redgum at Djstimer's place today that you'd just look at and drool over - it to would make some beautiful stuff.

Wild Dingo
3rd June 2007, 03:50 PM
Well yes I did say I would be sanding today then sealing then finishing then makin her all purty... but like Waldo the drool factor kicked in and I could see it never happening so I though DAMNITBOYOH! gerrididoneanover!

So I did... sanded for about half an hour then moved everything from the one corner available and then with mucho grunting groaning swearin and sweating... shes IN!!! a quick brush with the wee handbroom then a coat of sealer and thats that all done

You little bloody beauty!! :2tsup: Now that do make a fella feel all righteously chuffed with himself that do :; And she sure looks right comfy in there :2tsup:

Bryan1982
3rd June 2007, 04:18 PM
nice work dingo are you putting a vise in it???? not a woodworking bench without a vise......

nice work well done...

Wild Dingo
3rd June 2007, 04:24 PM
:C Really?? I mean I... I... I was gonna... I WAS!!! :C

But then I decided ah buggar it I can wait till I head up to carbetex next and pick up a you bloody beaut ridgey didge one then... but she IS A WOODWORKERS BENCH BY BLOODY HARRY!!

Innit Harry?? Harry!!! :C

Nah its all good!! :2tsup:

givusabrake
3rd June 2007, 08:42 PM
Well WD, Matey I gotta say it looks very nice! but you know if you really want to finish it You need to put it @@@@@@ My place I can clear a real nice spot for it and Ive already got a really nice Woodvice ready to bolt up its a big old solid one would look right at home on that bench once I clean it up and have it zinc coated n all

:2tsup:

Waldo
3rd June 2007, 11:14 PM
G'day Dingo,

Of course it's a claret-red bonza bench, and a top bench because it's made of Jarrah and you can't have a beaut Aussie bench (on account of it being made from Jarrah) without a Dawn vice sitting proudly in it.

So go out and get one mate. Then stand back and drool over it some more with a vitamin in hand. :2tsup:

boysie39
4th June 2007, 08:38 AM
hello to all this is my first post here. I've just taken up working with wood in the last couple of yrs. All that ive managed so far are garden stuff and a bookcase,but I love trying to make things.Since I got this computer i've learnd lots of things to do :U , mortly from US and UK forums.anywayI seem to spend most of my time makeing the jigs I need to make the article. I was told to get a good bench so I clicked on here. what I've seen here frightened the liveing s##t out of me .What do you people make furniture for bomb shelters or what .Some of the designs that i've seen would hold a truck off the ground.Now I know how you Aussies kick the Bejaysus out of our poor little rugby team and our Gailige teams.
Anyway I hope you wont mind me being part of your excellent forum. I will look forward with your permission to watching how the work benches turn out and pick up some tips as well.Good luck to all.
P.S. we Irish are a very helpful race so if you need help with the cricket team dont be afraid to ask . Slan Leat Boysie.:D :U :B

Cliff Rogers
4th June 2007, 09:28 AM
Good on ya Boysie, with a sense of humour like that, you'll do well on here. :D

Waldo
4th June 2007, 10:20 AM
G'day Boysie39,

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine. :2tsup:

manoftalent
4th June 2007, 12:25 PM
Ya know Ding, I was sittin here admiring ya loverly bench when it hit me .......I just knew something was missing ..... 6 pockets mate .....hoist the skirt up a tad .....and she'd make a ripper outback pool table :U ....ya lucky to have such fine timbers for a bench, jarra pricing here would put the project out of a lot ppls price range .....but if ya gonna build something beautiful once in ya life, ya gotta fork out the readies I suppose ......its nice to see something well built that will stand the test of time....well done mate:2tsup:

p.s....I took a photo and printed it out, and hung it in my shed to drool over....:q

Cliff Rogers
4th June 2007, 06:06 PM
.....I took a photo and printed it out, and hung it in my shed to drool over....:q
It is a strange world you live in Joyce. :cool: :D
Everytime I post a pic of anything worth printing & hanging on my shed wall it gets deleted or sent to the naughty room. :p

Ticky
5th June 2007, 11:48 PM
Shes a rip snorter WD, you have done yourself proud.

Hope Ruffy don't see it, She will want to put a table cloth on it to match the Curtains in her shed. (Sorry Wendy)

Jarrah is my fav timber to use, but I don't quite have it laying around like you do.

Have a green one Mate. :2tsup:

Hey Irish, I need a 6"13 Basketball player for my Under 20 Team, you got any mate? Welcome to the Forum.

Steve

newtowood
11th June 2007, 11:30 PM
I'm using batu for my benchtop, picked up a heap for $50 from a second hand building supplies. Just thicknessed the paint off and beautiful timber underneath.