PDA

View Full Version : Drilling

Alan
9th August 2003, 02:27 AM
Hi all,
I am only new to woodturning (have had a lathe for about a month now), and am after some advice.
I want to turn up a pepper and salt grinder set, I have all the pieces that I need but am unsure on how to drill it.

1. Do I put the orger into a drill press or use it on the lathe ???
2. Do I shape it or drill it first ?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Alan.

Jean Michel
9th August 2003, 04:06 AM
Hi Alan,

You can have a look at instructions from the Woodcraft USA site for the pepper mills at:

http://www2.woodcraft.com/pdf/77B35.pdf

Very interesting...

HTH,

Jean.
My Humble site: http://www.jeanmichel.org

barnsey
9th August 2003, 11:13 AM
Alan,

I drill first, You can do it either way - in drill press or in lathe.

You will find it best to drill from each end. More often than not the bit will wander and if it comes from either end you reduce the error and no-one will notice if they don't actually meet dead center.

When I'm ready to shape the outside I mount it on a mandrel which keeps everything central.

If you read up on the net or other books you will find there are as many ways of proceeding as there are authors so I guess that shows try it out for yourself and find which methods suits your tools, equipment and capabilities.

Good Luck

Jamie

macca2
9th August 2003, 11:46 AM
Alan.....try this site. I used it to turn my first set of mills and found it easy to follow.

The only thing I did wrong was to have the lathe on too higher speed when drilling with the large forstner bit and burnt the bit.

We live and learn.

Cheers Macca

http://www.theturnery.com.au/Projects/pep7.pdf

colh
11th August 2003, 10:27 AM
Alan

I have had a lot of success by following the steps in a series of three articles that appeared in (I think) the English Woodturning magazine, from memory in issues 114 to 116 or thereabouts.

I am up to about number 11 or 12, all of them between 250mm and 350mm long.

I drill them in the lathe with the workpiece held on a spigot in the scroll chuck. I also drill from both ends with a 20mm auger bit - mainly because my auger is not long enough to go right through the base of the mill. But it also has the effect of reducing the effect of run-out by the bit.

A tip: the lead-in thread on my auger bit seems to pull it slightly off centre, so I have started drilling a pilot hole about 6 or 7 mm diameter as deep as the drill bit will go. The auger then relies on its flutes to keep it straight in the hole - seems to have reduced the problem.

I have been using the Danish mechanisms from Carbatec, The Woodworks etc. The best place I have found to get them from so far is a mail order place called P-Square in WA - $6.20 each plus postage - dollars cheaper each than anyone I've found around Sydney.

have fun

Colin

Chippy
12th August 2003, 04:38 PM
Hi Colin,

I live in Perth but cannot find the supplier you quote, P-Square; could you give contact details please?

Regards,

David King

colh
13th August 2003, 10:14 AM
Hi David

I found them at the Sydney WWW show. Details below

Pru Cameron
P-SQUARE AGENCIES
PO Box 5151
SOUTH LAKE WA 6964
Tel/Fax (08) 9417 8306
email: [email protected]

send them an email and they will post you a cattledog.

have fun

Colin

fxst
14th August 2003, 12:30 AM
and if ur a kiwi ..a sheepdog??
inquiring minds need to know:D

Kiwi Greg
22nd August 2003, 02:19 PM
Good to see the Kiwi Sheep dogs beating the Aussie wallabies EH

Chuckle , gaffaw, snort.
Kiwi

Kiwi Greg