PDA

View Full Version : Caffeine problem

Ray153
28th May 2007, 10:08 PM
I have found a use for the empty jars that result from my addiction to caffeine. Now just need a cure for my wood turning addiction......

Was very happy with the results, one of the shapes is a bit blahh in my opinion but thats what the lathe made me do so there it is......

If I do more of these (who am I kidding?????), when I do more of these, will stick with the closer grained hardwoods I think. Still got just one or two jars left somewhere.........

First pic the lids are left to right, Sassafras, Silky Oak, Tasmanian Myrtle and the last one is Silver Ash. Only one of them has the plastic seal on it as the oil was still curing but wanted to see what they looked like on the jars.

tameriska
28th May 2007, 10:22 PM
They look good.
Were you going to sell these at the markets, they look as if they would be good for people with hand problems.

Jackson
28th May 2007, 10:36 PM
G'day Ray

Looks like you're a Moccona fan. It looks like their jars without the threaded lids. Have you tried this using jars with the screw top lids. You just cut a recess and glue the lid in then you can chuck the lid and turn the top.

My wife says she is going to fill mine with pickles or something and make them into gifts. So far though all I've done is start to progressively replace all the jars in the pantry!

Cheers

Touchwood
28th May 2007, 11:08 PM
Spot the fellow moccona addict .... and I like your lids ... only they can't do what the real ones do,... take off the plastic bit and fill the glass lid with the emergency supply of ,say, smarties, and then put the plastic bit back on!!! :D :D :D (a tip for Jacksons wife)

They would sell a treat as they do make such good storage jars...

Well done!

JD

Ashore
29th May 2007, 12:43 AM
Have proberly 100 of them but without your excellent lids . Keep lots of stuff in them and have built cupboards to suit there height etc , but haven't got any since Xmas when I bought shmbo a decent jura coffee machine :D

munruben
29th May 2007, 03:06 PM
Nice work on those lids.
Talking about being addicted to something, my wife is addicted to cigarettes but she has tried to cut down by only smoking after meals.
She is now down to 30 meals a day.

Ray153
29th May 2007, 08:29 PM
Admittedly the lids are solid but pretty sure I have the means to hollow them out a little if needed.......

I have not progressed to the stage of selling at markets etc, I still have a ways to go in that regard.

I thought about using screw top lids but havent found anything even close to a decent jar which I buy frequently enough to come up with a storage system. I am not keen on having a variety of all different sized jars for some reason. Live alone, work shift work so coffee is about the only regular item in a jar that I purchase. Baked Beans and toast come in a tin and a plastic bag :oo: both of which just look plain damn silly with a turned wooden top.

On top of which, I have been thinking this through in my head for a little while, I wanted to see if it could be done without having to resort to glues to put the plastic seal back on. The other variable is I want to see how much movement there might be with the various timbers before even contemplating selling them. The tolerances are fairly tight with the seal and the flange they sit on is only 2-3 mm high so there is the possibility of the timber moving, splitting etc. It is a dovetail shape inside the plastic seal so it is possible that this might in the future give way at the extremities. Not keen on selling a product with a short lifespan. Photo is dodgy as any you might have seen before but gives you some idea.

robynmau
30th May 2007, 01:19 PM
Hi Ray

Those lids are very nice. I got tired of turning the plain ones so, I did some where I used glass paint to put little picky's on the outside. Can't really use them for things that need washing up all the time, but my nieces use their ones for their hair ties etc [parrot & kookaburra look alikes]. while one of my friends loved his lolly wrappers on the outside of his lolly jar too:2tsup: I really like the idea of recycling things and I'm always on the lookout for something that's a bit different to give away and I thought these fitted the bill:roll:

Just a thought

Cheers

Robyn