PDA

View Full Version : U-Beaut Basic Cooking for Woodworkers

Honorary Bloke
29th May 2007, 07:45 AM
I love woodworking, and I love to cook. So bless you Neil for this new forum. :2tsup: I would like to see this forum succeed, so you lot get busy with your questions and contributions.

Meanwhile, what’s this thread about? Well, take this short quiz.

1. Bill Granger is a famous (a) novelist (b) pirate (c) chef (d) politician.
2. Julia Child is best known as (a) a talk show hostess (b) a French chef (c) a spokesperson for Yellowtail Wines (d) your year three teacher.
3. A recipe says "pare the potatoes," do you (a) get two out of the bag (b) cut them in half (c) peel them (d) fix rice instead?
4. The sales clerk offers to show you a bread machine. Is it (a) a machine made of bread (b) a machine for making bread (c) a machine for making money (d) just the sales clerk's little joke?
5. Do you believe that "Chicken Sausages" (a) is an oxymoron (b) is a misprint (c) taste funny (d) all of the above?

Answers: 1. (c), 2. (b), 3. (c), 4. (b), 5. (d). Score 1 point for each correct answer. If you scored 0-2, this thread’s for you, 3-4, please yourself. A perfect 5 and you can be a welcome contributor.

Through years of painstaking research (and painful eating), I have discovered that one of the great myths is that everybody who cooks knows what they're doing. I have traced the origin of this myth to selfish grandmothers who used a "pinch" of this and a "dash" of that with never a thought about their grandchildren's psychological well-being.

Today’s cooks, male and female, new and experienced, are often too embarrassed to ask about recipe terms, kitchen tools, appliances, or how to shop in the super. They think they are alone in their dilemma, but they aren't.

In this and future threads we will explore together some of the basics of cooking and all it entails--from equipment to herbs and spices to cooking terms. We’ll answer questions about essentials that you wouldn't dare ask a friend or rellie for fear of being taken for a Galah. We'll even throw in the occasional recipe to illustrate a point.

I expect, and will sometimes get, criticism from other experienced cooks--that's fine. If I'm ever wrong, I'll admit it, but don't hold your breath. :rolleyes:

Sure, you could go out and buy one of those thick cookery books with 200 pages of definitions and learn almost the same things you can learn about cookery right here on a woodworking site. But it's a scientific fact that you will remember this stuff better in small doses (and it's cheaper).

Lesson 1: Kitchen knives. I have visited many a cook who had 25 knives and not one was fit to peel a potato with. Don't scrimp. Buy good quality knives with a high carbon steel content. In your basic kitchen, you'll need three: a 4" paring knife, a 6" or so boning and slicing knife, and an 8" or 9" chef's knife. The quality is more important than the length. And get a good knife sharpener or sharpening steel (a "steel" is that long rod you saw in the knife case at the store and wondered "what kind of knife is THAT?"). Some of you may use your Tormek system. :D

Avoid knives that "never need sharpening," because that's knifespeak for "you can't sharpen me even if you want to."

Repeat after me: "A sharp knife is safer than a dull knife." It's just as with a chisel--pushing a dull knife blade often causes it to slip--with predictable results to your finger.

Lesson 2: Cooking terms. Today's term is BROIL. To Broil is to cook by direct heat. In your electric oven, the broiler is the heating element on top. In a gas oven, it's usually the drawer underneath.

If you don't know whether you have a gas or electric range, make this simple test. Turn on a top burner and see if little jets of flame appear. If they do, you have a gas range. If they don't, you have an electric range or your pilot light is out, in which case open the windows and call the gas works. :oo:

Broiling is generally done without pre-heating, since the electric element or gas flame ring is cooking the food. Oven broiling is often done with the oven door slightly open, because you want the food cooked directly and not by the accumulated oven heat.

Of course, you are broiling food from the bottom if you are using an outdoor BBQ. Before the widespread use of backyard barbies, most broiling was done in the oven. Before the widespread use of ovens, most broiling was done on outdoor grills. Thus does the cycle of human progress evolve. :wink:

Now it’s your turn. Ask a question or make a contribution. Or ignore it and hope it goes away. (Dingo, I would love to read your cookery tips.) :)

bfx
29th May 2007, 08:32 AM
Bob,

I'm with you on this thread, could be a lot of fun. I scored a 4.5 - I was unsure about Julia Child but knew she is either a French chef, a winery spokesperson or deputy leader of the opposition here in Oz.

BROIL. Could also be defined as a source of confusion for most Aussies travelling in the States. I've seen it on the menu in numerous diners and steakhouses throughout the country and whenever I am with new Aussie travellers you hear the refrain "Huh! What's Broiled?" Now we can just refer them to this thread before they leave our fair shores and the mystery is solved. (Or we could just tell them it means "grilled".)

Cooking. I am building a new house at the moment and am about to start making the cabinets for the kitchen. It will be a cook's kitchen. A six burner commercial gas cooktop, two 600mm electric ovens, two double sinks - the kitchen is 4.5m by 8m with separate areas for cooking and plating up/cleaning up. Can't wait to get it finished so I can start using some of the recipes we get from this thread.

Bill

ubeaut
29th May 2007, 08:42 AM
BROIL / BROILING - is US and Canadian term for GRILL / GRILLING.

In Australia we have a griller under the stove top or in the oven. No it;s not one of them hairy things that swings from tree to tree. Its the cooker part of the stove that often takes longer and makes more mess than any other part of the stove.

If the police turn up the heat on someone under interrogation they are said to be grilling the suspect. Broiling the suspect just doesn't work for me.

You can also get vertical grills, George Foreman grills and others with all sorts of celebrity names. These all cook with direct heat (usually nor quite enough) instead of the need for a pan.

Recipe Essentials NOT!!!
Chilly is not an essential for most recipes although almost all cooking shows would have you think it is.
Neither is salt, which should be used sparingly not thrown in by the handful.I am convinced that many cooks have burnt out their taste buds and have to keep adding more and more chilly and salt to get the same kick the got when they first tried it. (For the Aussies) A cooking show presenter who's name rhymes with Spewie is a prime example, as he doesn't seem to be able to cook anything without adding chillies and a hand full of salt to the ingredients list.

What would I know?
In another life I was a chef, long before before it became fashionable to call the cook a chef.
'Twas more a case of: "Who called the cook a bastard?" "Who called the bastard a cook?"

Cheers - Neil :)

PS I too love cooking..... My big problem is that I also love eating.

Cliff Rogers
29th May 2007, 08:43 AM
...Meanwhile, what’s this thread about? Well, take this short quiz......
Hey Bob, where is my rat's ring option? :rolleyes:
Nar, only joking..... I reckon Harry should post his Pizza receipe in here. :2tsup:

Barry Hicks
29th May 2007, 08:44 AM
G'day 'Ornery Bloke.
I have a general question about our culinary future. When I was a kid and before BBQ's, we cooked indoors and went to the toilet (bathroom to you) outdoors.
Now we cook outdoors and have the toilet indoors. Where do you see us 'going' in the future.

Puzzled

Rocker
29th May 2007, 08:47 AM
Cooking? Whatever next? Posting in this forum has got to be a code violation.

At this rate, the Ubeaut forum may become a compendium of all human knowledge, with fora on Aztec sacrificial practices, the marriages of Elizabeth Taylor, and gemstone cutting techniques. Actually that last one might be a good idea:)

Rocker

Honorary Bloke
29th May 2007, 09:04 AM
That's the spirit! Fair go Neil, let's get a bit of cultural exchange into the bargain. :D

Bill, you get 4.75. Julia Child may have been an opposition pollie for all I know.

Cliff, rat's ring it is, but that won't keep this forum open. :wink:

Also onya Bill for electric oven and gas range. Best combination. Gas ovens don't always hold temperature as well as electric but gas ranges are the bee's knees.

Rocker, what good is a zig zag dining table if there's no food to be had?
But we'll put it to Driver for the final word (if I agree). :D

Barry, I see both toilets and cookery outdoors (though not in the same actual place). Please see the threads about CRUDE for further advice. :rolleyes:

Neil, real blokes do not spell chili with a 'y'. Get over it. :p

At least I got your attention. Let's make it happen!

Cliff Rogers
29th May 2007, 09:21 AM
Any receipe that says to 'use one cup of good red wine' has got me.... :rolleyes: the rest has to go somewhere once the bottle is open. :wink:

Andy Mac
29th May 2007, 09:39 AM
I don't know where this thread has come from, or where its going,:rolleyes: but the idea of posting culinary questions to such a panel promises much merriment.:p
What I want to know, and it has been a bone of contention in our house for a long time, is how do you make a pizza to suit the following: one vegetarian, one lactose intolerant, one avoiding tomato sauce and two avoiding any semblence of flavouring (ie chillie)??:C
No prizes given, but eternal gratitude!

Cheers,

Cliff Rogers
29th May 2007, 09:51 AM
You'd need 5 pizzas to hold all that. :D

Tonyz
29th May 2007, 09:52 AM
give us your recipes for kangaroo steaks ,fox and possum anything thats fresh road kill ........lets include the koala and emu. Iam serious Iam sick of eating chicken and beef

regards Tony

rat52
29th May 2007, 10:17 AM
Tonto,
I'm with you. my SWMBO wont touch roo but I love it and the unless I learn to cook inside instead of just on the BBQ I'll never get any variety.

As a 20 something travelling around Aus I spent some time in the bush on native lands and tried some of the cullinary delights. The only problem I had was with the cooking and preparing (or lack of).

So lets have some different foods not the same old cooking show fancy nancy pap.

Grunt
29th May 2007, 10:20 AM
Also onya Bill for electric oven and gas range. Best combination. Gas ovens don't always hold temperature as well as electric but gas ranges are the bee's knees.
The best cooktops are induction (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_cooktop).

Pros:

Instant heat control
Gets hotter than gas. Great for large pots of spaghetti.
Gas looses 40% of it's heat to the kitchen. Induction does not.
Since the cooktop itself does not get hot food does not burn on it so it's easy to clean.
The cooktop we had as able to melt chocolate without a double boiler.Cons:

Only works with ferro-magnetic pots and pans. No aluminium etc. pans.
Expensive but coming down in price.
I had spent my whole life thinking that gas was the best until we bought a house with an induction cooktop. I wouldn't go back to gas again.

We are currently in a rental property where there was only a gas and electric cooktop. We had to go out an buy a cheap single induction cooktop to get us through until the house is built.

BTW, I got 5 on your quiz. I've got a Julia Child cook book handed down from my folks.

Wongo
29th May 2007, 10:24 AM
This is the forum where I can shine.

Hmmmm sweet:D and sour.:cool:

Honorary Bloke
29th May 2007, 10:40 AM
Grunt, you are likely correct but I am old-fashioned. :rolleyes:

Wongo, that should be sweet and sour and I would love to see you shine.

Tonto, Emu is getting somewhat popular over here, I'll see what I can do.

Cliff, one cup of good red wine is always a plus. :D Two are better.

Andy, it is late here and I am tired, but I will address your pizza question first thing in the morning. I have some ideas. :wink:

Barry_White
29th May 2007, 10:42 AM
This is the forum where I can shine.

Hmmmm sweet:D and sour.:cool:
And cats giblets.

havenoideaatall
29th May 2007, 12:31 PM
There was a thread on recipes knocking around so we're not all against cooking.

Besides, many a bloke has won favour due to a well cooked meal.

HappyHammer
29th May 2007, 12:38 PM
1. Bill Granger is a famous (a) novelist (b) pirate (c) chef (d) politician.
2. Julia Child is best known as (a) a talk show hostess (b) a French chef (c) a spokesperson for Yellowtail Wines (d) your year three teacher.
3. A recipe says "pare the potatoes," do you (a) get two out of the bag (b) cut them in half (c) peel them (d) fix rice instead?
4. The sales clerk offers to show you a bread machine. Is it (a) a machine made of bread (b) a machine for making bread (c) a machine for making money (d) just the sales clerk's little joke?
5. Do you believe that "Chicken Sausages" (a) is an oxymoron (b) is a misprint (c) taste funny (d) all of the above?

Answers: 1. (c), 2. (b), 3. (c), 4. (b), 5. (d). Score 1 point for each correct
1. A Chef who needs to come out of the closet.
2. French Chef...a guess don't like much french cooking, am very partial to a bit of fois gras though.
3. Peel under tap or by intermittent dipping in water.
4. A machine for making bread and for making your house smell nice when you have an open house.
5. All of the above obviously

HH.

HappyHammer
29th May 2007, 12:47 PM
I don't know where this thread has come from, or where its going,:rolleyes: but the idea of posting culinary questions to such a panel promises much merriment.:p
What I want to know, and it has been a bone of contention in our house for a long time, is how do you make a pizza to suit the following: one vegetarian, one lactose intolerant, one avoiding tomato sauce and two avoiding any semblence of flavouring (ie chillie)??:C
No prizes given, but eternal gratitude!

Cheers,
I would handle this by not asking if any guests had said preferences or intolerances. I would then make a pizza with as many meat toppings as I could cram on, cover it in mozzie cheese, onion, garlic and chilli and get it out there. Call my mein host!:U

If you don't like it you can have a slice of dry toast!

HH.

HappyHammer
29th May 2007, 01:33 PM
Here's a late night snack recipe:

Ingredients

1 tin John West Red Salmon (has to be John West and has to be Red)
1 small onion
1 jar of Heinz Salad Cream (You can use the lite version if you prefer)
1 bag of chips (Flavour up to you I prefer Chicken or Salt & Vinegar for this recipe)
Cracked Black Pepper
Malt VinegarOpen tin of Salmon drain fluid and remove all the bones and other yukky bits. I keep these in tupperware for the MIL as for some reason she thinks these are the best bits.

Place firm chunks of salmon into a bowl (You will be eating directly from this bowl so choose wisely). Mash Salmon with side of fork and add a splash of malt vinegar and some cracked balck pepper to taste.

I'd suggest the steps so far be done in advance and salmon left in bowl covered with clingwrap in the fridge until ready to complete the recipe.

When ready to consume open the bag of chips and crush them into small pieces in the bag then add to the bowl. (Be careful to remove the clingwrap as you may end up on your hands and knees cleaning up tiny pieces of salt & vinegar chips)

Next finely chop the onion and add to bowl mixing with salmon and chips.

Finally add approx. 1/4 of the jar of salad cream, mix in and then add more in smaller amounts until you have a paste like consistency. Add more cracked pepper to taste, get a fork, sit down in front of TV and consume.

HH.

Tonyz
29th May 2007, 01:41 PM
:D PANCAKES:2tsup:

Tonz

Cliff Rogers
29th May 2007, 02:17 PM
Whadaya callit HH? :?

HappyHammer
29th May 2007, 03:05 PM
Whadaya callit HH? :?
My Crunchy Salmon Paste.

It started when I started drinking in England at 16. I'd get home from the pub on a Sunday night with the munchies and there would always be left over salmon in the fridge prepared as described above. This would be left over from Sunday tea as we always had salmon sandwiches with a bag of crisps for tea on a Sunday.

I couldn't be bothered to butter two slices of bread so I'd cut out the middle man so to speak and combine it before it got to my stomach by adding the crisps and the salad cream and eating it from the bowl. The onion came later.

HH.

Doughboy
29th May 2007, 04:38 PM
Cool thread.

An easy accompaniment for any meat dish is sliced potatoes layered with cheese and onion in a lidded ceramic pot then microwave for 10 mins. Simple and tasty.

I lova a good BBQ. Marinated steaks, Honey and soy chicken kebabs, potato chips cooked on the bbq, and some mystery bags if they take your fancy.

BTW Salad cream = mayonaise

HappyHammer
29th May 2007, 05:31 PM
An easy accompaniment for any meat dish is sliced potatoes layered with cheese and onion in a lidded ceramic pot then microwave for 10 mins. Simple and tasty.
We do something similar by frying thinly sliced potato with cheese and garlic in a frying pan then put frying pan under grill to brown the top.

BTW Salad cream = mayonaise
Afraid not it is totally different animal, in colour and taste. I'd be prepared to conceed it's similar to mayonaise but not the same.:U

HH.

silentC
29th May 2007, 05:35 PM
It's certainly made from the same stuff:

"Salad cream is usually made from distilled vinegar, vegetable oil, water, sugar, mustard, salt, egg yolks, modified cornflour, xanthan gum and guar gum (as stabilizers), and riboflavin (for colouring)"

"Mayonnaise is a thick sauce made primarily from vegetable oil and egg yolks. Generally whitish-yellow in color, it is a stable emulsion formed from the oil and yolks and is generally flavored with salt, pepper, vinegar and/or lemon juice, and frequently mustard."

Terry B
29th May 2007, 05:57 PM
Here's a late night snack recipe:

Ingredients
1 tin John West Red Salmon (has to be John West and has to be Red)
1 small onion
1 jar of Heinz Salad Cream (You can use the lite version if you prefer)
1 bag of chips (Flavour up to you I prefer Chicken or Salt & Vinegar for this recipe)
Cracked Black Pepper
Malt VinegarSNIP

. Add more cracked pepper to taste, get a fork, sit down in front of TV and consume.

HH.
I thought this had been posted in the wrong forum ie "Woody Jokes" but realised you are serious. Great student food.
:yucky::puke:

HappyHammer
29th May 2007, 06:03 PM
It's certainly made from the same stuff:

"Salad cream is usually made from distilled vinegar, vegetable oil, water, sugar, mustard, salt, egg yolks, modified cornflour, xanthan gum and guar gum (as stabilizers), and riboflavin (for colouring)"

"Mayonnaise is a thick sauce made primarily from vegetable oil and egg yolks. Generally whitish-yellow in color, it is a stable emulsion formed from the oil and yolks and is generally flavored with salt, pepper, vinegar and/or lemon juice, and frequently mustard."
Maybe so but it tastes quite different. I like Salad Cream but do not like Mayonaise. SWMBO likes mayonaise but can't stand Salad Cream.

HH.

Grunt
29th May 2007, 06:19 PM

Don't mistake the stuff you buy in the super market for mayonnaise. Most of them have too much sugar and really small amounts of egg in it if any.
Same goes for salad cream.

Making your own mayonnaise is simple.

2 egg yolks
¼ teaspoon of mustard
1 teaspoon of white wine vinegar
250 ml of olive oil (don't use extra virgin as it has quite a bit of flavour, unless you like that sort of thing)
2 teaspoons of hot water
½ teaspoon of lemon juice or to taste
salt & pepper to tasteWhisk the yoke, mustard and vinegar until it thickens slightly. About 1 minute.
Slowly add the oil while whisking continually until all the oil is added and the mixture is of mayo consistency. Add the water and mix a bit more. Helps maintain the consistency. Flavour with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Chill before use.

Doughboy
29th May 2007, 06:32 PM
Are we not getting into the realms of how long is a piece of string???

Salad cream or mayo

bearnaise or hollandaise

ozwinner
29th May 2007, 07:06 PM
Hey Bob, where is my rat's ring option? :rolleyes:

Why, do you have a recipe? :o

Al :U:U:U

Grunt
29th May 2007, 07:18 PM
Rats Ring Recipe

6 Rats Rings
3 cups of aardvark vomit
2 tablespoons kangaroo spit
27 cloves of garlic
2 onions
18 small chillies
18 inches of snail trail

Mix all ingredients in a large pot. When cooked serve with a side of quail droppings.

chrisb691
29th May 2007, 07:21 PM
First you bandsaw your rabbit........

echnidna
29th May 2007, 07:26 PM
I wanta make some hamburgers.
Hoiw many times do I have to put the lump of meat through the thicknesser :D :D :D :D

felixe
29th May 2007, 07:26 PM
Chrisb,
Don't I need to freeze the rabbit before putting it through the bandsaw, do I use the thicknesser or jointer to remove the fur?:oo: :?

**no actual rabbits were harmed in the posting of this thread!**

chrisb691
29th May 2007, 08:01 PM
Chrisb,
Don't I need to freeze the rabbit before putting it through the bandsaw, do I use the thicknesser or jointer to remove the fur?:oo: :?

**no actual rabbits were harmed in the posting of this thread!**

Freezings has pros and cons.

Pro.....easier cleanup of bandsaw.
Con....high wear rate on blade.

Which ever method you use, it is recommended that the dusty be turned off.

watson
29th May 2007, 08:02 PM
I've got a real one!!
You've got spaghetti......bottle of cream just on the turn in the fridge......and a lemon.
Too far over the limit to drive into town for takeaway.
Cook the spag in the normal way.
While that's happening...zest the skin of the lemon, squeeze the juice and add to a saucepan together with 375ml of thickened cream.
Heat......it'll boil and all that stuff.....but the important thing is to reduce the level of the liquid by one half.
Somebody's worked out that that usually happens when the pasta is ready.
Drain the pasta.
Pour the sauce over it and serve.
The sauce is called Limoni..........no salt......just as written.

Almost like fast food.

Jedo_03
29th May 2007, 09:04 PM
I'm originally a Geordie...
Y-Knaw - frum the northeast uv England
Actually - not a Geordie - but a Makkem, from Sunderland...
Tonight - here in Broken Hill, I made my favourite Makkem food: called Pease Pudding...
(Everybody sing...)
Pease Pudding hot
Pease pudding cold
Pease pudding in the pot
9 days old...
Culturally significant recipe:-
Boil bacon bones in covered pot for two hours.
Rinse 3 cups yellow split peas with cold water until water runs clear.
Strain liquor from boiled bacon bones onto split peas.
Add half finely chopped onion
Bring to boil - simmer for 2 hours, stir occassionally, until peas have broken down to a thick paste
Delicious hot or cold with pork, savs, or the bacon meat pulled off the bones... or just by itself...
cheers
Jedo

HappyHammer
29th May 2007, 09:16 PM
Gald Blimey !!

You'll be passing on the virtues of mushy peas next.:U

HH.

Tonyz
29th May 2007, 09:21 PM
Stuff it man theres saliva over over me keyboard now. The best we south aussies can do is meat pies floating in green pea soup then add bacon peices and stuff on top ..but it aint peace pudding.
Now dumplings ....mmmmmm

TOny

bsrlee
30th May 2007, 02:08 AM
You lot should have come to the Sydney Seafood School tonight with me (& some friends) - we ended up dining on Clam, Potato & bean soup, followed by Garlic Squid, Blue Eye with peppers & Lyndey Milan's Paella. All served with 3 (Spanish) wines plus (Spanish) sherry. And lots of garlic.

Lyndey does Italian in August.:2tsup:

silentC
30th May 2007, 09:21 AM
You know what I really crave? A big Irish breakfast with black pudding and fried bread. mmmmm

HappyHammer
30th May 2007, 10:23 AM
They have fried bread in London with breakfast but no black pudding. Haven't had fried bread for 15 years hmmmm

HH.

silentC
30th May 2007, 10:26 AM
And up north you get white pudding too!

HappyHammer
30th May 2007, 10:46 AM
I've been up north over a hundred times to watch West Ham play away but only once to visit. The visit was to the Lake District which I'd highly recommend, the rest of it I'd be happy never to see again.

HH.

silentC
30th May 2007, 10:54 AM
Sorry I meant up north in Ireland. I don't remember much about the food in northern England - that might be a good thing.

I've eaten haggis and drunk Irn Bru in Scotland too.

HappyHammer
30th May 2007, 11:18 AM
Irn Bru is my number 1 hangover cure...top stuff. I didn't include Scotland in my trips up north, have been there once to visit just outside Edinburgh, very nice also.

Haggis is strictly for canines....along with tripe, black and white pudding, brains and mushy peas.

Was the Haggis fried in lots of oil, almost everything in Scotland seems to be fried in lots of oil or fat.

HH.

silentC
30th May 2007, 11:29 AM
Nah it was boiled and then split open. Was more like stuffing with the roast meat than anything else. Didn't mind it at all. Had a recipe for it once but it's a bit hard to get hold of sheep stomachs around here for some reason...

Jedo_03
31st May 2007, 10:35 PM
Stuff it man theres saliva over over me keyboard now. The best we south aussies can do is meat pies floating in green pea soup then add bacon peices and stuff on top ..but it aint peace pudding.
Now dumplings ....mmmmmm

TOny

we've got 2 aussie g'kids... and they LOVE dumplins...
suet dumplins. . .
crispy dumplins on top of casserole beef done in the oven
floaty dumplins in home made soup...

silent C and happyhammer...
black pudding and fried bread are part of sunday breakfast at our house... together with bacon and eggs...
once a month we have kippers instead... scottish kippers...

"english" mushy peas are nowt like the green slop sold from pie carts...
English mushy peas are made from marrowfat peas
Pie cart mush is made from "boiling peas" - a relative of the green split pea...
all legumes, of course...
closest thing to "english" mushy peas is Woolies Home Brand MINT PEAS... these are marrowfats... rinse off the mint under running water - heat - and enjoy with fish and chips...
now THAT's cuisine. . .
cheers
Jedo

Cliff Rogers
31st May 2007, 10:43 PM
...closest thing to "english" mushy peas is Woolies Home Brand MINT PEAS... these are marrowfats... rinse off the mint under running water - heat - and enjoy with fish and chips...
now THAT's cuisine. . .
These are the sorts of tips that threads like this are good for. :2tsup:

Big Shed
31st May 2007, 10:43 PM
Jedo, with a diet like that I hope you know a good cardiologist!:D

ozwinner
1st June 2007, 06:47 PM
Arh, theres nowt like them mushie peas from over yonder.

Al :)

Iain
2nd June 2007, 10:45 AM
My dear old Grandma in Scotland used to present us with a boiled calf head for a Sunday treat.
I never asked for the recipe, sinceerest apologies to all you Gourmets.

Geoff Dean
4th June 2007, 02:31 PM
Chrisb,
do I use the thicknesser or jointer to remove the fur?:oo: :?

Step 1: Send the girls down the creek, they generally get a rabbit or 2 :D

Step 2: be close enough to them when they grab the rabbit. If you time it right you can get a fairly clean carcass with minimum slobber:oo: ... Time it wrong and all you get is a hind foot...:((

SPIRIT
4th June 2007, 03:55 PM
sit by a river with a fire going, catch a fish ,put the pan on the fire with onions ,gut the fish ,cook the fish ,eat the fish ,have a nap:D

Cliff Rogers
4th June 2007, 06:11 PM
What do you do with the onions SPIRIT? :?

Geoff Dean
4th June 2007, 06:14 PM
What do you do with the onions SPIRIT? :?

Disrupt the harmony of the camp.

Jedo_03
4th June 2007, 08:46 PM
My dear old Grandma in Scotland used to present us with a boiled calf head for a Sunday treat.
I never asked for the recipe, sinceerest apologies to all you Gourmets.

me old mother - rester soul (the one who used to sharpen the good knife using washing soap and the cement wall...) used to often buy half a pig's head and roast it... the cheek meat was that nice... she liked the brains...
other thing she'd often buy was a sheeps head - she'd boil it up for about an hour-and-a-half and that was the sunday meat... the stock was kept for soup base and\or stew base...
we mighta been poor - but we never went hungry...
cheers
Jedo

felixe
4th June 2007, 09:07 PM
me old mother - rester soul (the one who used to sharpen the good knife using washing soap and the cement wall...)....................................we mighta been poor - but we never went hungry...
cheers
Jedo

And you would have had very clean cement walls as well!:D :D :D

Iain
4th June 2007, 09:52 PM
Don't forget the Aussie favourite, Dingo's Breakfast, 'A and a look around'.
Mate of m ine who wentn on fly fishing weekends usual ritual was wake up at about 5am, fart, kick fire, fart again, open can of , drink, fart, wake me up, go fishing.
Reckoned that a can of beer was great first thing in the morning, I found the thought revolting, after 10+ years of this ritual I succumbed, guess what, it is even more revolting than I imagined, bloody awful in fact.
He is a professional and rarely drinks except on out fly fishing trips, oh well, each to his own:rolleyes:

SPIRIT
5th June 2007, 05:48 PM
What do you do with the onions SPIRIT? :?fry until brown:p

Gingermick
5th June 2007, 06:55 PM
And get a good knife sharpener or sharpening steel (

A good stone if you can drag it out of the shed and away from your chisels, AND a steel. Remembering that the steel is used to straighten the edge you cut with the stone. :)