PDA

View Full Version : BBQ Wine

Ashore
29th May 2007, 01:55 PM
What's the best BBQ wine you have come across.
BBQ Wine being that low cost wine you open at a barbie or party as the night progresses, everyones had a few drinks and another good wine is only a waste but you still want something thats enjoyable
For me its Tyrrell's vat 7 Shiraz at $80 a case :2tsup:

HappyHammer
29th May 2007, 02:01 PM
My home bottling which works out about $6 a bottle. Order it from Huntington Estate in Mudgee, usually a blend of last years and this years reds, always good and cellars extremely well. I have bottled their wine for the last 8 years and my FIL has bottled it for the last 16 years +.

HH.

bulldog
29th May 2007, 02:17 PM
a case of clean skin chardy bought on line from Greys.

Beautiful the last case. All for about $4 a bottle.

Thats enough money spent on the peseants that attend my BBQs.

Bodgy
29th May 2007, 02:28 PM
Cleanskins are the go, well at least as long as the current wine glut lasts. I understand that these are unbadged versions of what can be $20+ wines retailing at $4 +. Great value, we buy Cab Savs by the box and have only got a couple of lemons.

Cliff Rogers
29th May 2007, 02:34 PM
A mate & I went half each in a hogshead pre-buy.
You pay it off over 4 months & get 33 cartons of good quality wine in unmarked bottles in a plain white carton.
Worked out at $6.67 a bottle landed in Cairns from McLarenvale. :2tsup:

silentC
29th May 2007, 02:36 PM
We've bought a few cleanskins around the $7 mark, very good value if you get the right ones.

I know it's probably heresy to say it, but we've been buying a cask of late which is very good for quaffing: Renmano Premium Varietal - Shiraz Cab Merlot. Around $25 for 4 litres.

silentC
29th May 2007, 02:38 PM
From Column8:

Still on matters boozy, we are in receipt of a wine label, from the Pssst'n'Broke Wine Company. Their 2006 Merlot claims, among other things, to be "made from crushed grapes". We are further assured that: "You won't find blackberries, flowers, vanilla or wet dogs in it because, let's face it, it's made from grapes." It is also "a Merlot (mer-low) and is a certain shade of red". At last, a winery with a sense of humour - we'll have to try a drop just on the strength of it.

Cliff Rogers
29th May 2007, 02:41 PM
Renmano do produce some suprising good value for money cheapies. :2tsup:

mic-d
29th May 2007, 05:12 PM
cleanskin Tahbilk Sav Blanc
Brown Brothers Dolcetto and Sirah chilled for lunch

Cheers
Michael

K_S
29th May 2007, 08:05 PM
Dan Murphy's cleanskin - WE3. Reduced from around $5 to $2 - got a few boxes still enjoying

Keith

ubeaut
29th May 2007, 11:33 PM
Cheapest claret possible...... Soak the steaks in it for a few hours prior to cooking, then use the rest to pour onto the hot plate at the last minute before the steaks come off. Best thing you could ever do with any red wine.

Yeah yeah I know..... bloody heathen me.

Buzza
13th June 2007, 11:28 PM
Chateua Carboard.

A mix of selected five litre casks including Red, Rose', Dry White, Fruity Lexian and Moselle.

Remove them all from the casks, and leave the bladders in a large ice bucket for an hour.

Drinkers are to help themselves, and try to guess as to what they are drinking. If they are partaking of BBQ'ed meats, then reds, or of they are into the salads, they try to get a white.

At the end of the day, there is no broken glass either, provided you provide plastic "Wine Glasses" for your BBQ guests. :D

JackoH
14th June 2007, 10:10 AM
I'm with Buzza.
De-Borts cabernet-merlot cardboard, around $15.
Their colombard-chardonnay ain't bad either, same price.

K_S
14th June 2007, 09:23 PM
Just bought a box of Gossips Cab Sav and a box of Gossips Cab Merlot from D Murphys - good value