PDA

View Full Version : First ever finished project - Be Gentle!

Hardenfast
29th May 2007, 03:46 PM
Morning all.

I finally decided to have a go at completing a turned piece, rather than just playing with shapes and techniques. Having been inspired by segmented turning generally and some of the magnificent pieces shown here recently, I decided that I would begin with a modest segmented work. I also wanted to use all Aussie dry hardwoods so that I could finish it immediately without any seasoning requirement. I saw a photo of a fairly simple six segment three level bowl and thought that would do as my first ever piece.

But what to use? It needed to have timbers of contrasting colour to make it interesting, but alas, the cupboard was bare.

Or was it? A more detailed search through my demolition pile uncovered an old 75x50 concreter’s peg (complete with concrete) in Sydney Blue Gum. Further searching uncovered a piece of Tallowwood threshold, complete with Lyctus Borer holes and staining. I then pulled out an old section of Alpine Ash door jamb, complete with hinge mortices and original hex head nails. Both the door jamb and threshold were taken from a 100 year old terrace house in Surry Hills during renovation some years ago. Away we go!

I won’t bore you with too many details, but I ran each piece carefully through the Altendorf to rip a few suitable pieces – I didn’t need much. I then cut the various segments on the trusty Makita slide saw ready for the glueing process. I glued the pieces together a layer at a time in between other projects, so it didn’t really take too long at all. I just used the trusty Aquadhere Tradesmans Choice cross linked PVA which is my general adhesive of choice. It grabs fairly quickly and dries in a few hours, and generally works very well for the “rubbed joint” technique without the need for cramping. I thought I had taken a few shots of the glue-up process for WIP but can’t find them. Oh well. I have included a few shots of the finished item herewith.

Man, this stuff was hard!! All of it!! My God!! Anyway, in accordance with advice from the learned assemblage herein I turned the outside first, including some detail to the foot as shown, before turning it around on the patented Leady chuck to attack the inside. I found that a scraper only lasted about 45 seconds on the heavy work before resharpening, so I ended up doing the whole thing with a bowl gouge followed by a light rub with the scraper to smooth off. Plenty of sanding up through the grit ranges (80 to 480) before one coat of some Canauba Wax that I had laying around. I applied the wax before I noticed that it had been modified with a brown tint, but it looks OK – nice gloss. I’ll give it one more light coat of wax to finish. Gonna get me some U-Beaut from The Lumber Bunker for that.

The finished work is around 200mm by 90mm high. Bottom layer of 3x Alpine Ash segments – middle layer of 6x Sydney Blue Gum segments with thin Alpine Ash spacers – top layer of 6x Tallowood segments. You can still see a Lyctus Borer hole and associated staining in the Tallowood. Overall I’m quite happy with it as a first up project, but I don’t think Bill Wyko is under any threat to his mastery of segmenting. Yet.

So what do you think, Gents and Gentresses? Happy to field all comments, criticisms and suggestions.

47093 47094

Thanks. Wayne

lubbing5cherubs
29th May 2007, 04:13 PM
Wayne nothing to be gentle about, that for a first up. that's a ripper
Toni

WillyInBris
29th May 2007, 05:22 PM
Well done fella,

I have been thinking a lot about doing some segmented work as well, but have a large project that is going to take its time :C .

I think segmented turning is way cool, and what you have done for a first piece is fantastic and I would be happy to have it on my table.

Maybe some Pics next time whilst your making one in the stages?

Thanks for sharing

Willy

DJ’s Timber
29th May 2007, 06:48 PM
Wayne mate, give yourself a pat on the back, you've done a bloody good job on that :2tsup:

ticklingmedusa
29th May 2007, 06:59 PM
well done

Cliff Rogers
29th May 2007, 08:57 PM
Looks OK to me Wayne.... segmented work is not my cup of tea but the shape & finish look fine.
Personal taste but, I would finish the base with the same stuff you used on the rest of it.

Let's see some more now. :2tsup:

joe greiner
29th May 2007, 09:33 PM
Very nicely done, Wayne. I especially like the floating bottom treatment and its interior step-down from the ring. My only critiques are that the bottom appears somewhat thicker than necessary, and the grain orientation on one of its segments seems a bit inconsistent.

Joe

TTIT
30th May 2007, 09:34 AM
..................... I ran each piece carefully through the Altendorf to rip a few suitable pieces – I didn’t need much. I then cut the various segments on the trusty Makita slide saw ready for the glueing process..................................Having trouble leaving the flatwork behind mate!!!:; Great looking first effort Wayne :2tsup:. Well done. Go the whole hog and tackle a solid blank soon though and then the old Altendorf can become a drying stand for roughed out green stuff !:B

Terry B
30th May 2007, 10:04 AM
Well done.
My only comment is that I think it would have been better with a solid piece on the bottom rather than the ?2 pieces.
Very nice

Hardenfast
30th May 2007, 11:16 AM
Many thanks all - very encouraging.

Terry - You're right. I would have liked to have done the base out of one piece, but as explained in my description I had fairly limited resources at the time. Also, it's a segmented piece - right?, so I figured any old arrangement was OK.

TTIT - I have since completed a bowl from a solid piece of Camphor Laurel which was laying around. Looks OK - although it did go flying across the room twice. Occupational hazard? Or just me? The Altendorf is a very handy piece of equipment. Had to sacrifice my garage to get it in there, but well worth it. And yes, already gets used as bench/stand/rack quite often. You can pick up older models of these quite cheaply now - if you have the space and 415v.

Joe - Still playing around with side and base thicknesses. I'm going to try for some more subtle profiles shortly - so little time.... so much to do. Didn't pay too much attention to grain orientation with this one, but will be looking at this as a feature going forward - and with some nice material. Didn't even realise I had produced a floating bottom - what is that exactly?

Cliff - I've since applied some of the Canauba Wax to the base so it looks consistent now. One of the things that appeals to me about the segmented arena is the ability use any old ????? laying around. It's always surprising how well some of this stuff polishes up. Also, using seasoned materials means being able finish your works immediately. At this stage I can't imagine having to wait several months to finish a piece. Of course, the segmented route has some drawbacks too......

Tickling - Many thanks. I thought I was working under difficult conditions until I read some of your recent threads. Very inspirational, sir - and somewhat humbling I must confess. Looking frward to seeing some more of your stuff.

DJ - Many thanks. The general atmosphere of support and encouragement in this place is quite infectious. I note wistfully that everyone is more advanced than myself, but all advice and WIPs etc is freely given by all and always genuine. Excellent!

Willy - I too always seem to have "projects" that constantly get in the way of what I actually want to do. I'm going to continue playing around with segmented pieces and perhaps work my way up to natural edge works. They look pretty daunting. I will definitely do some WIP pics for the next ones. I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

Lubbing - Many thanks. I have looked at some of pen work by you guys with interest. I'd like to have a go at that in due course, but maybe my big carpenter's hands will be a little clumsy for such detailed work? I'll also have to get some stronger glasses, I think. How are you going with your Aussie representative thing, by the way?

joe greiner
30th May 2007, 12:37 PM
Floating bottom? Probably a term I just invented. What I meant is the tiny step outboard of the supporting ring. Makes the bowl appear to be, well, floating. The dished treatment interior of that ring reduces likelihood of the bowl wobbling, more effective with fresher timber subject to continued warping after it's finished. Also useful with boxes, goblets, candlesticks, etc.

Joe

robynmau
30th May 2007, 01:22 PM
Well done Wayne, you're definately on your way to becoming addicted:-

Cheers

Robyn

Fox3
30th May 2007, 03:44 PM
If my first came out that well I'd certainly not have any complaints. Lovely work!

Shedhand
30th May 2007, 04:32 PM
Like Cliff, turning isn't my cup of tea (yet anyway) but your first go is really nice. Have a greenie on me mate. I have no idea how you glue up the pieces but it looks complicated. Well done. :2tsup:
For the other's, why turn stuff out of green wood if its going to shrink, warp and buckle etc? I can't see why you would bother. Not a criticism just perplexed. You build a house out of green scantling and nothing opens or shuts after a week. :?
Cheers

La truciolara
30th May 2007, 05:30 PM
Be gentle ??? You must be kidding! :U
It’s hard to believe that is your first attempt! Congratulation
Your segmentation is perfect and produces a very nice figure and the turning is at the same level.
Keep on for our own joy

lubbing5cherubs
30th May 2007, 06:02 PM
Lubbing - Many thanks. I have looked at some of pen work by you guys with interest. I'd like to have a go at that in due course, but maybe my big carpenter's hands will be a little clumsy for such detailed work? I'll also have to get some stronger glasses, I think. How are you going with your Aussie representative thing, by the way?

Gidday Mate, You can do that work you have no hassles I have attempted what you did. I made a lovely sieve for myself. So you got me licked before you start.

On the other front still waiting but I sort of don't expect to hear anything at the meeting on 1st and then go from there. So perhaps soon.
Toni

joe greiner
30th May 2007, 09:00 PM
For the other's, why turn stuff out of green wood if its going to shrink, warp and buckle etc? I can't see why you would bother. Not a criticism just perplexed. You build a house out of green scantling and nothing opens or shuts after a week. :?
Cheers

Well, for one thing precisely because it IS going to shrink, warp and buckle etc. Some very interesting effects hard to achieve with stabilised timber, such as oval bowls: "How in the world did he do that?" A few daredevils are turning hats, shaping to oval and distorting the brim by fixing in a temporary frame while the timber continues to dry. For more insight, Google [turning green wood]; there's also a book or two with that title or thereabouts.

Joe

Shedhand
1st June 2007, 09:41 PM
Well, for one thing precisely because it IS going to shrink, warp and buckle etc. Some very interesting effects hard to achieve with stabilised timber, such as oval bowls: "How in the world did he do that?" A few daredevils are turning hats, shaping to oval and distorting the brim by fixing in a temporary frame while the timber continues to dry. For more insight, Google [turning green wood]; there's also a book or two with that title or thereabouts.

JoeThanks for the explanation Joe. Understand now.
Cheers:2tsup: