PDA

View Full Version : A quick question about timber frames

anon111
10th August 2003, 03:06 AM
Sorry about being a bit of a newbie but:

I have just a quick question re building a timber frame. The bottom plate is going to rest on a plain concrete slab, but the slab is fairly uneven. I thought i might Ardit (or similar) the whole floor now, but theres no need. So, im just going to pack the timber to make it level. My stupid question is: Whats the proper way to pack timber framing?

Im assuming that i lay the timber on the floor, check if its level, and then just slide small bits of material (ive been told fibro is best to pack with?) under the wood, in the places, until its level.

Just tell me if thats the way its done :) Im using dynabolts to secure the plate, so would i prepare the bolts (drill and plug em in) and then pack the wood, then tighten the bolts, and check for level?

Also, theres going to be black mastik or similar (some waterproofing stuff?) Would the packing go before the waterproofing (ie, closest to the concrete, and waterproofing against the wood) or the other way around?

Thanks for an help you guys can offer, I know that it sounds like i shouldn't be putting this together at all :) Well, its simple, so ill give it a try :)

Daniel
10th August 2003, 02:56 PM
Anon111

Usually they pack plates with whatever they can find on site that suitable, and that could just about be anything.

A lot would depend on the wall and its statis within the structure, is it a loadbearing wall ect.

I would use cement sheet or even pack the plate with mortar if the gap is excessive, just be aware that if the wall is load bearing then each stud will need to be supported, depends on the load points within the sructure.

How big were the gaps and is it a loadbearing wall.

Daniel

anon111
10th August 2003, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the reply

Well the wall isn't load bearing, its just filling in an all-brick alcove (theres 3 walls, and this is the 4th).

The gaps arent big, just that the concrete is a bit bumpy. We're talking maybe 10-20mm differences across the length of it. Would thin pieces of fibro work for this?

Also, i went out and bought the waterproofing tape. Im aiming to attach it to the wood first, for ease of use, and then set the plate, measure if level, and then pack where necessary. Is this alright?

Thanks guys for your patience :)

anon111
10th August 2003, 05:51 PM
Also, could anyone tell me how many dynabolts I should mount the plates and studs with?

The bottom plate and the two wall studs are approx 2.3 metres long (about 7'6"). I was going to use 3 but after realising it was over 7 foot, should i use four?

Its not a load bearing wall, as i said earlier, but i want it to be sturdy, i guess. How about 3 bolts on the bottom plate, and four in each wall stud?

Any help on what the standard is for my spec would be great.

Daniel
10th August 2003, 07:11 PM
Just use cement sheet under your plate to pack it and three dynabolts to secure it down, you can also use concrete nails if you wish.

As far as using water proofing tape under the plate well thats up to you but for general house construction in Victoria it's not required.

Daniel

skot
15th August 2003, 09:58 PM
For fixing the bottom plate there should be 1 adjacent to each opening...ie Doorway.... then at 1200 centres