PDA

View Full Version : Audio help needed

journeyman Mick
30th May 2007, 01:11 AM
About two months ago there was a thread about a windows update that scrambled the soundcard settings. Didn't pay too much attention at the time, too many other things on my mind at the time. I've just discovered that I can hardly hear the speakers even when they're cranked right up. I've done a bit of a search, but haven't found it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Mick

David H
30th May 2007, 04:58 AM
Hi Mike
If you have a Speaker Icon on the lower taskbar, double click on it and it will open a Volume control box with a number of Volume slides on it. Set the volume slides to high and check that the Mute boxes are not checked except for possibly the Line in box, unless you are using Line In for recording off a record player or other device. Then Okay any changes.
If you don't have the Speaker Icon, click the Start button and click on Control panel. In control panel find the box for Sounds & Audio Devices. After opening this you will have a box with at least 4 Tabs - Volume/Sounds/Audio/Voice. If you go through the settings in these tabs and set volume settings to high while checking no mute boxes are ticked Also in the Volume tab check at bottom of box for a Speaker Volume button and an advanced button. Check in these boxes for volume and Performance settings that should be on full/ high or best. In the Volume Tab the advanced button will also bring up the same box that double clicking the Speaker Icon on lower Taskbar does. Also if you don't have the Speaker Icon on the lower taskbar this tab has a check box that you can tick to place the Icon on the taskbar. Make sure you okay any changes otherwise they will just revert back to whatever the default was set at. Hopefully this will get some more noise out of your speakers.
David H

Cliff Rogers
30th May 2007, 09:26 AM
I don't think it was the windows update that got you 'cos after it ran you would get an error message at startup & no sound at all.

journeyman Mick
31st May 2007, 12:21 AM
Hmmm,
maybe there's never been much volume, I've turned up all the slides there are but it's still very soft. The speakers are about the size of those earbud headphones though, so perhaps that's all the volume there is.:( Or maybe I should splash out for some new batteries for my hearing aid.:o

Mick

Buzza
10th June 2007, 12:27 AM
I keep having a similar problem, and found that the plug socket is loose inside the cabinet.

I now play some music, and get around the back of the PC and wiggle the speaker wire inthe socket. I soon find the right spot, and the music blasts out, and all is well. :2tsup:

Some of the mass produced "Dry Joint Soldering Problems" no doubt. :((

How many Techs out there have tried the wiggling technique? :B

q9
10th June 2007, 11:42 AM
You do have the speakers plugged in to the speaker out, and not the line out?

Iain
10th June 2007, 12:05 PM
When I did an upgrade on my system I had the same problem, found I didn't have an amp on board and had to get a remote speaker amp system, my new LCD screen has inbuilt speakers and an amp.