PDA

View Full Version : show us your mill

BobL
30th May 2007, 02:07 AM
OK guys, everyone else has this sort of thing so why don't we.

Show us your mill, rails, resaw rigs and jigs, anthing that slices a log into something more useable.

Here's my mini-CSM and Mini rail system.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=42941&d=1175429901
That rabbit in the background is a CIA agent in disguise.

Here's my TS resaw rig.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=45435&d=1178321265

And here's my latest 50" CSM (WIP)
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=47052&d=1180362402

Cheers

DJ’s Timber
30th May 2007, 07:42 AM
This is my one

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=42988

KevM
30th May 2007, 08:26 AM
......and mine

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=13017&d=1126866440

Can cut up to around 5.5 metre lengths, maximum slab width 600mm.

Blade is a 3" wide stellite tipped.

Wongo
30th May 2007, 10:09 AM
You guys are bastards. :((

:D

BobL
30th May 2007, 10:16 AM
......and mine

Nice one Kev, do you push it or does it have a horizontal drive mechanism?

Cheers

BobL
30th May 2007, 11:10 AM
It's not a mill, its a new 547 lb 215ci "V-8 racing hot saw" (http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=49159) purely designed for making sawdust

Ianab
30th May 2007, 01:05 PM
This is my baby being set up around a log.
Older model Peterson swingblade powered by a big Stihl chainsaw powerhead.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=9719&d=1118660336

Cheers

Ian

Ross
30th May 2007, 01:37 PM
......and mine

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=13017&d=1126866440

A mill with electric start, I want one.

Ross

KevM
30th May 2007, 02:04 PM
Nice one Kev, do you push it or does it have a horizontal drive mechanism?

It did have a variable power feed (the control box is under my hand in the photo) but currently it has died, need to spend some time trouble shooting. Currently need to push which isn't a great problem but will fix the feed at some stage.

The hardest part about using it, used to be raising and lowering the track, motor and wheels . Mate picked up a nice little 1/3 hp 3 phase motor which runs at around 60 rpm's, now use that to raise & lower the track, motor, etc with a forward/reverse switch. This does reduce portability somewhat, but winder handle can easily be put back on with one bolt.

KevM
30th May 2007, 02:06 PM
A mill with electric start, I want one.

Ross

:D :D :D

outback
30th May 2007, 07:47 PM
I don't like Kev, or Ian. :p

Harry II
30th May 2007, 08:49 PM
me and some of the relatives:

BobL
30th May 2007, 09:51 PM
Nice pics Harry. Somewhere I have early 1950s photos of my dad bringing down BIG South West WA karri trees with axes and cross cuts. 2 men, 1 tree, 1.5 days.
First chainsaws circa 1957, 8ft blade, operating by two men for 4 hours a day = 4 trees a day. Other 4 hours fixing the engine and sharpening.
1958 first McCullochs, 3ft 6" blade single operator, 8 hours = 8 trees! When I look at my 42" blade and think that my dad toted that on a CS through the South West bush you start blinking real hard!

Harry II
31st May 2007, 12:33 AM
Nice pics Harry. Somewhere I have early 1950s photos of my dad bringing down BIG South West WA karri trees with axes and cross cuts. 2 men, 1 tree, 1.5 days.
First chainsaws circa 1957, 8ft blade, operating by two men for 4 hours a day = 4 trees a day. Other 4 hours fixing the engine and sharpening.
1958 first McCullochs, 3ft 6" blade single operator, 8 hours = 8 trees! When I look at my 42" blade and think that my dad toted that on a CS through the South West bush you start blinking real hard!

Anything like these BobL?

BobL
31st May 2007, 01:19 AM
Anything like these BobL?

Yep, that last one looks familar, it even looks like a big Jarrah?

I seem to recall the motor was maybe a little bigger but you know how things look when you are just a kid.

Cheers

Fireman sam
31st May 2007, 09:41 PM
Hi all
Here is my mill :)
Andrew

TTIT
2nd June 2007, 12:57 AM
Gotta be in it to ??? Ah well - here's mine anyway. 29" cut on an old Stihl 08. Slow but it gets there :shrug:

(And NO, I still haven't got round to painting it :- )

(And No, that ain't me drivin' ! - way too handsome! )

Sigidi
15th February 2008, 11:25 PM
Yeah, I know, I'm a bit behind for this thread but hey...

http://www.reallmilling.com/fpdb/SitePhotos/good_recovery.JPG

That's Larry the Lucas Mill!

Ianab
16th February 2008, 07:56 PM
You aren't wasting much wood in that bottom slab eh :2tsup:

Ian

BobL
16th February 2008, 08:50 PM
You aren't wasting much wood in that bottom slab eh :2tsup:

Ian

Eco miller!

I hate throwing out those face cuts. They hang around and clutter the place until they eventually warp and then I don't feel so bad putting them on the fire wood pile.

DJ’s Timber
16th February 2008, 09:03 PM
Now that I have the Lucas Mill up and running again, I've got a picture of it now :2tsup:, here she is.

IanW
19th February 2008, 10:12 PM
Ah well - gotta pitch in - here's my slabber doing its thing on a couple of short Camphor billets. And the milling frame I made up 'cos of the limitations of the slabber (a la BobL design, as you can see - works well - thanks Bob!) Run by a very venerable 074. It was the old man's, and did a power of work in its day, but now having a bit easier time in semi-retirement.

Sometimes wonder why we bother milling - it's bleeding hard yakka & I'm not as agile as I uster be, but every time I'm offered something for free, I just can't help myself. And when you find the occasional bit of absolute gold in a lovely crotch figure or similar, well, I suppose it's worth it afterall... :U

Cheers,

Allan at Wallan
22nd February 2008, 08:11 PM
The good news!
I like all of your creations and purchases.

The bad news!
None of you are within a bull's roar of Wallan
so I will have to tackle my couple of jobs
with my chainsaw/handsaw/breadknife etc.

Allan

Calm
22nd February 2008, 10:51 PM
The good news!
I like all of your creations and purchases.

The bad news!
None of you are within a bull's roar of Wallan
so I will have to tackle my couple of jobs
with my chainsaw/handsaw/breadknife etc.

Allan

Not necasarily the case. I hapen to have a couple of weeks off with nothing to do. A cool day could get me making a trip to Wallan.

Ps dont tell anyone i am trying to keep it quite - you know the ridacule one has to put up with if everyone finds out...

BobL
23rd February 2008, 08:29 AM
Nice pics IanW - thanks for posting

And the milling frame I made up 'cos of the limitations of the slabber (a la BobL design, as you can see - works well - thanks Bob!)
Well, I'd like to claim the credit but it looks much more like Martix's or TITT's mills than mine.

Run by a very venerable 074.
What's an 074?

Sometimes wonder why we bother milling - it's bleeding hard yakka & I'm not as agile as I uster be . . . .

I can't understand why I still see so many pictures posted of people milling/slbbing on their knees, sometimes in muddy sawdust, or bending their backs almost to the ground, pushing their guts out on a mill when there is no need for this sort of effort.

Lifting logs up to waist height and slope milling has for me made a big difference and although I'm still tired at the end of the day I'm not completely stuffed!

Lifting even metre diameter size logs is easy with something like this (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=59940).

. . . .but every time I'm offered something for free, I just can't help myself. And when you find the occasional bit of absolute gold in a lovely crotch figure or similar, well, I suppose it's worth it afterall... :U

Agree 100%

IanW
25th February 2008, 09:41 AM
Well, I'd like to claim the credit but it looks much more like Martix's or TITT's mills than mine.

Must have got my wires crossed, as usual - well, I redirect my thanks to whoever's rig it was that got me started - even the 'paint scheme' looks the same.. :wink:

What's an 074?

A very ancient Stihl - about 25 yrs old; weighs about twice as much as an equivalent-powered current model! Would love a lighter machine, but it just won't (quite) die, & since milling is a very occasional sport for me, hard to justify a new saw ahead of a few other bits of equipment I desire...

I can't understand why I still see so many pictures posted of people milling/slbbing on their knees, sometimes in muddy sawdust, or bending their backs almost to the ground, pushing their guts out on a mill when there is no need for this sort of effort.

How I'd like to have the use of a wallaby jack, occasionally, let alone a tractor or forklift! I'm afraid my setup is VERY basic, Bob. The opportunities to cut up logs don't come my way all that often, & when they do, they are often (usually?!) in such inaccessible places, you have to work with what you can carry. If the closest you can get the ute is about 500 metres from the log, each trip is around a K. You soon pare down to the bare minimum. Surprising what you can do with a crowbar, a couple of saplings, and sheer determination. And BTW, I certainly use gravity as much as possible to help me rather than fight it! My main objective, in most cases, is to get the wood into manageable sizes, then take it home to the bandsaw, so that more ends up as useable timber, and less stays behind as sawdust.

The vertical slabber works very well, especially with that handle my old man designed for it. But on a medium to small log, the whole business can move around. It doesn't affect the cut, because the rail is screwed to the log, but it makes it awkward to control the saw if the whole system is trying to fall over. Its other limitation is that you are left with about a 6" slab in the middle, which is usually much too big to carry out on your shoulder! That's why I made the Alaskan style jig, so I can take a few more cuts off the biggies to make them portable.

I would like to build a log carriage for that setup, attached to a frame on which I could bolt the rail for the slabbing rig. I've worked out a design in my head, but just haven't gotten round to actually making a start. I figure it's easier for someone on their own to roll the log onto a relatively low carriage & lock it down in a way that I could cut most of it from one side. Then I could use both the saw & the carriage to advantage. But it would be for home milling of logs small enough to drag home in the ute, not for the bush. One day I'll find the necessary round tuit.........

Cheers,

BobL
26th December 2008, 12:07 AM

Today my best Xmas present by far was finding this picture of my dad (on the right) and his falling buddy (Charlie) taken in Oct 1958. The back of the photo says in my dad's hand "Taking break after bring her down". Oh how I wish he was still around to chew the fat over photo's like these - he passed away 9 years ago.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=92317&stc=1&d=1230210402

robutacion
26th December 2008, 02:25 AM
Hi everyone,

I have previously made reference on being in the process to get a GB 44"mill and a 105cc with the longest bar this manufacture makes for this machines are 36".

I put if all together last Wednesday, but it has not touched any wood yet. I want the get a couple of issues addressed before I get to it good and proper. First is that I have 3 possibilities (different materials and design), of making the first cut rails, but I have not made my mind to which one I will for for. Secondly, I trying to get a bit of information on the original GB auxiliary oiler, that I want to make myself. Thirdly, I want to install a push bike throttle cable, for easy operation. I've done nothing to it these last 2 days, as I have been occupied fixing and finishing other small jobs, while most people is away.

I know that the few accessories that I want to add to the mill, are not very heavy but still, it will put another 2 to 3 kg on the top of what is already creating me some considerable stress, as the new chainsaw is 15.5 kg with the 36" bar, and the mill shouldn't be far from the same weigh also. I got very disappointed when I realise how big and heavy this machine is, as I though that was only 10.5 kg, but that was without the bar and chain so, after I put it together and lift it off the ground, I went on my knees in 3 seconds flat. Now that the chainsaw is attached to the mill frame, I had a small try lifting/feeling it sort of thing and quite honestly, I'm concern that is too heavy for me to handle. And what is going to happen when I put a 44" bar on it to get full advantage of the mill frame length...? ouch, that is going to hurt like @$%#!:C

I should have went with the machine under this one at only 72cc and 8.5 kg with bar and chain, a very close copy of the Sthil with chain brake also, which this bigger one does not have, and for the purpose of being mounted as a mill, is not needed anyway.

This whole deal so far as cost me $1.600, including complete GB 44" mill, complete 105cc chainsaw (36" bar & chain incl.), 1x spare bar 36", 2 x normal chains, 2 x specially made 3 skip ripping chain, including freight to my door. This is all special prices arranged after some serious negotiations. I know that I can do it again another 2 or 3 times for a little commission. This is the sort of money that will get you only the chainsaw of 50 to 60 cc either in Husky or Sthil, I know because I asked around.

Anyway, I've got lots of logs to slab, I hope that I can feel a little more energetic in a few days time to handle my next back ache...!:no::doh:

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

BobL
26th December 2008, 03:24 AM
I know that the few accessories that I want to add to the mill, are not very heavy but still, it will put another 2 to 3 kg on the top of what is already creating me some considerable stress, as the new chainsaw is 15.5 kg with the 36" bar, and the mill should be far from the same weigh also.

Hey - nice setup robutacion, but don't worry about the mill and start worrying about the slabs it can cut as they will be a lot heavier than this!

My mill with the 42" bar and 54" rails weighs in at around 28 kg, with the 60" bar and 64" rails it weighs 33 kg. The only time I need to physically lift my mill is onto the rails and off again at the other end. Otherwise I move it around on wheels which I bolt onto the ends of the mill rails. Details here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=81348).

My log rails are long enough so I start the mill on the rails. When I finish a cut I place the mill onto a set of sawhorses, touch up the chain, refuel and reoil - place it back on the log rails and restart.

At the end of the day the amount of energy expended on lift the mill is small compared to the rest of the lifting that's needed.

robutacion
26th December 2008, 01:50 PM
Hi BobL,

Yeah, definitely I will put a set of wheels on my mill...!

Mill lifting/pushing, logs set up, slabs handling, etc, etc...weight, more weight and more weight...! why am I doing this to my poor back...? is that a dead which, or something?:?:doh:

Are you aware of any brain condition, resulting from "breathing" timber...???:C

What ever it is, I got it "badly":o!

RBTCO

DJ’s Timber
26th December 2008, 02:45 PM
Are you aware of any brain condition, resulting from "breathing" timber...???:C

What ever it is, I got it "badly":o!

Yep it's called timberliticis :roll: of which there is no known cure :o researchers have to date found that the subject once infected, will spend large amounts of money on timber cultivating tools and will move mounds of earth to find that next bit of timber and that their yard no matter what size is always too small :doh: :; :U

WillBrook
26th December 2008, 03:35 PM
Here's my Lucas over a big Redbox

http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo339/willbrookalbum/Woodworkers%20Forum/LennyoverRedbox.jpg

And another of it on tippy toes

http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo339/willbrookalbum/Woodworkers%20Forum/Ontiptoes.jpg

robutacion
27th December 2008, 02:03 AM
Yep it's called timberliticis :roll: of which there is no known cure :o researchers have to date found that the subject once infected, will spend large amounts of money on timber cultivating tools and will move mounds of earth to find that next bit of timber and that their yard no matter what size is always too small :doh: :; :U

OK..., all that sounds very familiar to me, indeed...!:;
I feel a lot better already, thanks:D

RBTCO

charlsie
27th December 2008, 11:18 AM
better late than never .her's a shot of the back yard a bit messy but i,ve got a while to clean up

jaksam
31st December 2008, 10:02 PM
A few pictures of my mill. This is a Petersen Log Locust. I only have the slabber attachment (the longest bar I use is 72 inches and I usually work on a maximum cut of about 60-66 inches) but I think they were also built with a swingsaw set up that was powered by a chainsaw. The logs in the first two photos are iron bark, but it's most recent job was to cut the camphor laurel log in the last photo that only just fit within the saw frame at its widest point. Only the first metre was this wide with the top part of the log about 600mm in diameter.

The saw is a Stihl 88 Magnum running an Oregon 5 skip chain (I think). Using the frame this way sure eliminates the hard work and strain on your back !

metricky
31st December 2008, 11:48 PM
Just thought i better join in 8 30 lucas with slabbing attachment cutting 1.6 wide and 6.3 long

charlsie
5th January 2009, 10:25 PM
2nd pic doesn't look 1.6 wide (only s#it stiring) nice log though

robutacion
6th January 2009, 11:35 PM
Hi everyone,

Even tough, the title can be deceptive, it is about the handling of my new heavy chainsaw mill set-up, while is not on the top of a log. Ramped to the trailer or waggon, makes it a breeze to move around. A $30 Bunnings trolley and a $5 tie strap was all the investment needed. The 2 small tyres used are from my previous trolley (identical) and a little bit of old carpet up the front, to void metal to metal "rubbing". The mill rails, work as the trolley push-handles. I've got the log first cut rails done with extensions, plus 4 spare lengths available if needed! I'm working on the "connection" system of these rails to the log, as I am trying something different than the normal angle steel and a couple of Tec screws on each end. Preferentially, something that will not require any cordless tools if possible, like a "easy claw clamp" with adjustments. I've got the idea, just have to put it into practise.

Now, I understand that will defeat the purpose a little bit, but about having this mill system set-up on simple frame (2 long rails and 4 small wheels) built over the log. A small hand winch to make it move back and forward and a weight balancer to this work well? I wouldn't have to lift the mill every cut wouldn't I? and it all could be done with me standing up straight...!> and about a small chain hoist set-up above the log in a L shape so that the slabs after been lifted, can be "pushed" to the other end of the L, where a pallet would be waiting for them. Some spacers in between slabs and someone close with a forklift or a tractor with forks, could make things a lot easier for me, huh? I reckon it worth investigating...! my back says, yes please...!:D

I probably would be a lot better with a small bandsaw mill, huh?:doh:

RBTCO

Daninvan
7th January 2009, 03:16 PM
G'day from Vancouver.

I have a home made chainsaw mill that uses a Husky 2100 with a 36" bar. I can cut slabs up to about 32" (~800mm) wide.

I use canola oil on the chain, never had any problem in several years. Lot more pleasant than regular chain oil.

The trees I slab up are all urban salvage.

Had a bit of cool weather recently, pile of catalpa I cut a couple months ago got chilly!

Dan

Outbackrr
8th January 2009, 09:32 AM
Late entry to this thread. Home-made mill - 036 with 30" bar cutting Tallowood for step treads. Adjustable frame to also take 42" bar on 395.

WillBrook
8th January 2009, 09:53 AM
I had a couple of mates (Woody and Mick) helping me do some dressing the other day and boy was it warm. I guess you could call this extreme dressing (or undressing if you prefer) :o :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Juffy
8th January 2009, 09:14 PM
Jeez Neale, the thread may be "show us your mill" but there's no need to show us the exhaust pipe too. Never thought a thread in the milling section would need a NSFW tag. :p

charlsie
9th January 2009, 08:50 AM
neale i bet woody and mick wouldn't do that with dan from vancouver

WillBrook
9th January 2009, 09:26 AM
I'm still curious about the silly grin on Mick's face......maybe he can see where the sawdust is going :rotfl: :rotfl:

Outbackrr
9th January 2009, 09:02 PM
Neale, what timber are they sawing, wouldn't happen to be Blackbutt.........?:U

Sigidi
9th January 2009, 09:23 PM
Neale you need to do this more often so you can get a 'black butt' I had to turn the brightness down on my monitor