PDA

View Full Version : Hand Painted Curtains

echnidna
30th May 2007, 06:25 PM
Ok , I want to make some hand painted curtains.
What is the best fabric?
What is the best paint/dye etc.

And I'm not pulling anyones chain about the curtains I really would like the info please. :)

BTW, seein as how we're getting heaps of new categories maybe this post should be in a "Soft Furnishings " category. :)

cecilia
27th June 2007, 09:56 AM
I've painted on calico with acrylic or fabric paints and that was quite successful, although it wasn't for curtains. You'd probably have to line the curtains as the paint would go through to the back in a patchy fashion. I'm not sure how well painted curtains would 'drape', but there are various mediums that could be added to the paint which may keep it supple.

At the Duckpond, we have no curtains at all, but on the north side of the house we have roller blinds inside all the double glazed windows, to keep the warmth in during the winter. They aren't needed in the summer as the house is designed to not let it in. The blinds are made of some sort of stiffish material and I plan to paint them all with acrylic paint, with a little methyl cellulose added to give it more slip, and a bit extra drying time. The blinds are never pulled down before dark, so paint going through to the back won't be a problem.

Have you thought about blinds as an alternative to curtains?

cecilia
www.duckpond-design.com.au/theduckpond

bitingmidge
27th June 2007, 10:09 AM
Bob,

Look to the Aisan batik artists for inspiration. (technique rather than subject matter).

A bit of wax dribbled from a (sorry i've forgotten the name of the thing) pen which is built with a special reservoir, and paint over with dyes makes the process a little like water colour. Any absorbent cloth will work pretty much.

Cheers,

P
:D :D

echnidna
27th June 2007, 12:48 PM
That sounds like silk painting BM, dunno if it would work on more economical fabrics as silk is a bit exxy

brendonc
2nd April 2008, 12:13 AM
Hi, My wife made hand painted curtains for my sons bedroom and used standard fabric paints and lined calico ,worked very well and was still looking good when we sold that house after a couple of years.
Brendon

HandyAndrea
1st December 2008, 10:41 AM
did you ever make the curtains?

Re the tjan tjin (wax dribbler). It's used to "paint" wax onto fabric to act as a resist for dyes, so you can use it on any fabric that is dyeable. Look up "batik" on the net or in your library.

You can paint fabric paints on with a brush, you can paint on artists' acrylics mixed with a special fabric medium, you could paint on dye with a brush, probably.

You can "silk screen" fabric, and you can print it with lino- or wood-cut blocks or other solid objects, including potato printing blocks, and cut fruit. You can stamp it with rubber stamps.

A good weight of calico, or other pure cotton fabric, washed before you attempt to decorate it, works just fine! Experiment!

echnidna
1st December 2008, 07:52 PM
Done nothing Andrea, it was just soimething I was thinking about but have since ran out of time.

JDarvall
1st December 2008, 09:29 PM
Ok , I want to make some hand painted curtains.
What is the best fabric?
What is the best paint/dye etc.

And I'm not pulling anyones chain about the curtains I really would like the info please. :)

BTW, seein as how we're getting heaps of new categories maybe this post should be in a "Soft Furnishings " category. :)

:o...painted curtains ! ....thats kinda girly isn't it bob ?

echnidna
2nd December 2008, 10:12 AM
'pends on wot yer paint on ther curtains don't it?

and d'ya have a saleable product in the end.

and of course will it suit the decor of the shed :doh:

JDarvall
2nd December 2008, 05:46 PM
'pends on wot yer paint on ther curtains don't it?

and d'ya have a saleable product in the end.

and of course will it suit the decor of the shed :doh:

spose. I owe you a bit of help in return for all the help you've given me. But curtains ant it ! :D

good luck with it.

astrid
4th December 2008, 03:33 PM
there used to be a product on the matket called hobbytex, tubes if colourfast and washable fabric paint with a rollerball on the end of the tube, fantastic for t shirts.
Liam wants some for christmas so I'll let you know if it's still around.

My lips shall be sealed (for a price:D)

echnidna
4th December 2008, 06:46 PM
I think it is still available Astrid, have a look on ebay.

astrid
5th December 2008, 06:58 PM
I would'nt get them off ebay.
I bought some at a garage sale once, the paint in the tube seemed ok but the ball points were buggered

tea lady
5th December 2008, 10:35 PM
You can get fabric paint in places like "Art Craft Riot", Spotlight or Lincraft. and prolly art real art supply shops. You can also get stuff that is paint fixer for fabric that you just add to acrilic paint.