PDA

View Full Version : This might interest some.

RETIRED
12th September 2000, 01:10 PM
Gooday.

Browsing around, I came across this article.

Thought it might be of interest.
http://www.woodshopnews.com/stories/finish/

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

John Saxton
12th September 2000, 02:11 PM
Interesting to say the least ,puts a whole new meaning on putting a finish to the product.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

JackoH
12th September 2000, 05:21 PM
Gets rid of about 10 of my excuses !

John H. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/redface.gif

Iain
12th September 2000, 05:23 PM
This man is stepping on thin ice and is likely to encounter legal action as all these quotes are from Neils book aren't they?

Rod Smith
12th September 2000, 08:39 PM
Thanks
What do you or anyone else have to say about finishing, or not finishing both sides of table tops. I recently (ish) made a table and the fellow was a little disappointed that I finished it both sides as the wood had quite a distinctive aroma. It was 3m x 1m, I'm not sure if I would like to leave one side naked? Checkya. Rod

RETIRED
12th September 2000, 11:28 PM
Gooday,

I admit that I finish both sides of table tops (2on bottom, 3 on top)but it is for aesthetic reasons because I deliver tables unassembled and the owners see the base.

I use relatively stable timber that has been stored at room temperature for 3 months so warping is not an issue.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

ubeaut
13th September 2000, 01:11 AM
Iain

Thanks for jumping to the defence of the book, but not a one of the quotes was from it.

Bugger! That blows the legal action idea all to pieces.

Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Rod Smith
13th September 2000, 09:19 PM
Hi . I understand what your saying, but even old well seasoned wood will warp/cup if moisture exposure is different on both sides. But how much difference does a finish make? And I spose location makes a difference (humidity). Best way to find out is to try it I spose. Then again what about air cond and heating influences. Mmmm, think I'll keep finishing both sides for now. Checkya. Rod

Shane Watson
13th September 2000, 10:05 PM
Rod, Do a search on polishing tops and see what you come up with. There was a good discussion about the polishing of both sides a while ago and should be an interesting read for you...

Cheers

------------------
Shane Watson..

Combine Love & Skill & You Can Expect A Masterpiece!

Rod Smith
14th September 2000, 06:58 PM
Thanks Shane, interesting (and long) read. Rod

S Hayward
25th September 2000, 04:02 PM
I remember that long discussion on finishing both sides. What ever happened to that table by marcus and where are the photos?
Bye
Shaun

Marshall Gorrow
16th October 2000, 09:55 AM
I'll have to agree with:

"Short term, this might be true if the furniture is moved to radically different humidity conditions. But long term, other factors, primarily ring structure and compression-set shrinkage, account for warping no matter which sides are finished."

When the EMC goes up, (humidity adding moisture to the wood) the cupping will be toward the center of the tree. When EMC goes down, (low humidity drying the wood) cupping will be away from the center of the tree.

The finish that you put on only slows the process; nothing stops it.

Equally important it the joinery. Wood expands when it takes on moisture and contracts when it looses moisture. This is most noticeable across growth rings.

You can seal a piece of green wood to the best of your ability and it will still dry and distort. It will just take longer. Turn a 3" mallet out of green wood seal it the best that you can. Measure the diameter two years down the road and it will differ by 1/8".

You can't seal moisture in and you can't seal it out. You can only slow it down. Water vapor is a gas; moisture will go through even a water proof finish.

------------------

Marshall Gorrow
May your next turning be your best!